Re: [S-R] Re: Miczuch

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 29, 2008

      If I remember correctly you do know the village -- you could check to see if at your local Latter Day Saints Library if they can get you the film of your area's 1869 Census.  Sometimes the libraries also can get records from the local churches, which might prove interesting.  Good luck.

      Caye

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 29, 2008
        Dear Karen,

        There are only two immigration records for people whose names are spelled
        precisely Miczuch, Gyorgy in 1912 and Antal in 1913. They are not brothers
        (different fathers), but they come from the same place-Kutas in Trencsen
        county, now Kotesova SK, just west of Zilina.

        Today the name is spelled Mi��ch and there are 80 of them in the Slovak
        telephone directory. (The letter "cz," pronounced like "ts," is obsolete. In
        Slovak it is written �.) Seven of them are from Kotesova (plus another four
        Mi��chova).

        This is not proof that your great-great grandparents came from there, but it
        is at least a clue to follow up on. LDS has the microfilms of the Roman
        Catholic church records for this village 1789-1949, available through your
        local Family History Center. If you do not find them in those records, you
        might try other villages where the name seems to cluster in the phone
        directory, especially Poruba (18 Mi��ch and 4 Mi��chova). Church records
        should be available for most if not all of these villages.

        You have your great-grandfather's date of birth from his WWI registration,
        so you can look to see if his baptism is recorded there. That should help
        establish if you have the right village.

        Janet

        _____

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 29, 2008
          The letters in my message did not come across correctly. The e with the
          accent mark should be a c with a little v over it. The current spelling of
          the name (without the diacritical marks) is Micuch.
          Janet

          There are only two immigration records for people whose names are spelled
          precisely Miczuch, Gyorgy in 1912 and Antal in 1913. They are not brothers
          (different fathers), but they come from the same place-Kutas in Trencsen
          county, now Kotesova SK, just west of Zilina.

          Today the name is spelled Mièúch and there are 80 of them in the Slovak
          telephone directory. (The letter "cz," pronounced like "ts," is obsolete. In
          Slovak it is written è.) Seven of them are from Kotesova (plus another four
          Mièúchova).

          This is not proof that your great-great grandparents came from there, but it
          is at least a clue to follow up on. LDS has the microfilms of the Roman
          Catholic church records for this village 1789-1949, available through your
          local Family History Center. If you do not find them in those records, you
          might try other villages where the name seems to cluster in the phone
          directory, especially Poruba (18 Mièúch and 4 Mièúchova). Church records