Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Translation

  • Dick & Johanna Mihalek
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31 10:25 PM
      Theresa McGlothlen:
      Your translation you sent to me is, for the most part, quite good. Little
      bits that I can add are as follows:
      His dwelling was at 10348 South Albany Ave.
      After a lengthy stay in a hospital he died on Saturday, 7 August 1948 at 11
      o'clock in the evening. . .
      Gayaroch is not listed as any village, city, county/zupa or district/okres
      so that one is a puzzler.
      Something is pertaining to perhaps a group or organization called Freedom
      number 117 C.S.A. (Czechs and Slovaks of America??) as there were political
      attempts to help free their countrymen from Austrio-Hungarian rule. This is
      a big guess on my part!

      The funeral proceedings will begin on a Wednesday, the 11th of August at 9
      o'clock in the morning at the chapel of the mortuary of John V. Satala at
      4744 South Damien Ave, then on to St. Michael the Archangel Church. After
      the solemn/sorrowful services a farewell of the beloved body/remains of the
      departed will take place/be buried in the cemetery of the Crucified Lord.
      (Not sure of this cemetery's name.)

      Za tichu sustrast prosia: It's something like "We extend our condolences
      to. . ."

      You seem to have the names and relationships in good translation. The ml.
      after Stefan means Jr.

      I hope this helps and is not too far off in some areas. I had to assume
      that a few of the words were mispelled. . .

      Good luck.

      Dick Mihalek
      Richard & Johanna Mihalek
      Northern Wisconsin by Lake Superior
      valhalla@...
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31 11:14 PM
        Hello,

        here is my translation of your obit.

        Jozef Porubcansky

        Death announcement

        Stefan Lihotsky (Lehocky)

        house 10348 So. Albany Ave

        after the longer illness, on saturday august,7th 1948. at 11:00 p.m.,
        at age 80 years. Dear dead was born in Gajary in Slovakia and he
        he had been living in America for 50 years. He belonged to the "Volnost"
        number 117 C.S.A. The funeral service will be on wednesday august, 7th at 9
        a.m.
        from the chapel of the funeral company Jan V. Satala, 4744 South Damien
        Ave., to the
        St. Michal Arch church., after the funeral service the his body will be laid
        at the
        "Vskriesenie Pana" cemetery

        For a silent condolence asking:

        MICHAL, STEFAN, jr., ANDREJ and CYRIL, sons; EVA NERAD, daughter;
        EMILIA, HELEN and ANGELINA, daughters-in-law; godfathers and godmothers,
        mother and other relatives and acquaintances
        > Here is the obit...minus the diacritic marks.
        >
        > OZNAMEMIE UMRTIA
        >
        > Stefan Lihotsky (Lehocky)
        >
        > obydlie 10348 So. Albany Ave
        >
        > po dlhsej nemoci. v sobotu dna 7. Augusta 1948. v 11:00 hodin vecer,
        > vo veku 80 rokov. Drachy zosnuly narodil sa v Gayaroch na Slovensku
        > a v Amerike prezil 50 rokov. Prinalezal do riaduVolnost cis. 117
        > C.S.A. Pohrab odbyvat sa bude v stredu 11 Augusta 0 9 hod. rano z
        > kaple pohrabneho zavodu Jan V. Satala, 4744 South Damien Ave., do
        > kostola Sv. Michala Arch., odkial po vybaveny smutocnych obradov
        > telesne pozostatky draheho zosnuleho vyprevadene a ulozene budu na
        > cintorin Vskrisenie Pana
        > Za tichu sustrast' prosia:
        >
        > MICHAL, STEFAN, ml., ANDREJ a CYRIL, synove; EVA NERAD, dcera;
        > EMILIA, HELEN a ANGELINA, nevesti; snachy, kmotri a knotrovia, pani
        > matka a ostatni pribuzni a znami.
        >
        > Sorry this is so long,
        > Theresa ...Nerad, Lihotsky (Lehochy)

      • Dollins
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11, 2000
          C.S.A. is a fraternal organization which was founded in 1854 in St. Louis,
          Missouri, by a group of Czech immigrants to provide financial security to
          widows and children, as well as social interaction and activities. It is now
          based in Oak Brook, Illinois. See http://www.csafraternallife.org/

          Anabeth Dollins
          axd2@...

          >Something is pertaining to perhaps a group or organization called Freedom
          >number 117 C.S.A. (Czechs and Slovaks of America??)
          >>
          >> OZNAMEMIE UMRTIA
          >>
          >> Stefan Lihotsky (Lehocky)

          Prinalezal do riaduVolnost cis. 117
          >> C.S.A.

          >> Theresa ...Nerad, Lihotsky (Lehochy)
        • Jim Sagat
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 11, 2000
            Anabeth,
            I just visited the C.S.A. in oak brook last week, they have a nice
            small museum there,

            Jim
          • Theresa McGlothlen
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 11, 2000
              Thank you so much for this information Anabeth. I have a neice
              living
              near there and I will see if she will look into it for me. Thank you
              again.

              Theresa