Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Translation, please

  • John
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 31, 2000
      At 09:14 PM 7/31/00 -0700, you wrote:
      >Dear Janko,
      > Thank you for your translation. Since it was next to a person's name do
      >you suppose that they are possibly a mail or message deliverer?
      > Michael Mojher

      Could very well be that he is a owner or associated with the business. I
      have a second cousin who is a dentist and that information is placed next
      to her name. I've seen it with others in the phone book also. I think it
      would indicate more than a normal employee relationship with the business.

      By the way, do you have any Starinskys in your tree? My b-i-l's father was
      from Plavnica and I stopped to take some photos and videotape of the
      village and cemetery while passing through last Fall.

      John
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 31, 2000
        John,
        Thanks for the information. Sorry, no Starinsky's in my tree.
        Michael Mojher
        > > Thank you for your translation. Since it was next to a person's name
        do
        > >you suppose that they are possibly a mail or message deliverer?
        > > Michael Mojher
        >
        > Could very well be that he is a owner or associated with the business. I
        > have a second cousin who is a dentist and that information is placed next
        > to her name. I've seen it with others in the phone book also. I think it
        > would indicate more than a normal employee relationship with the business.
        >
        > By the way, do you have any Starinskys in your tree? My b-i-l's father
        was
        > from Plavnica and I stopped to take some photos and videotape of the
        > village and cemetery while passing through last Fall.
        >
        > John

      • Ginger
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 25, 2000
          Can anyone translate these words to English?
          uchina
          leckar
          lekarka
          vysne
          visne
          Thank you,
          Ginger
        • Madrobnak@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 25, 2000
            Try this website
            <A HREF="http://www.slovak.org/book/">SLOVAKOPEDIA - The Internet
            Encyclopedia of Slo…</A>

            Good luck
            Mary Anne
          • Jozef Porubcansky
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 26, 2000
              uchina (ujcina) = wife of mother's brother
              leckar (lekar) = doctor (man)
              lekarka = doctor (woman)
              vysne = high (used mostly in place names)
              visne = morello

              Jozef

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 16, 2003
                Dear List:

                Would someone be able to help me with this obituary that I believe is in
                Slovak; it ran in a NYC newspaper on Jan 5, 1922.. The clipping is falling to
                pieces so a few words are missing here and there, and maybe I have mispelled a
                few words.

                ŠIALENÝ MILENN ZRANIL

                VYSLOVENIE SÚSTRASTI
                Našej drahej švagrine a mojej a jej milým
                Dietkam drahomilovanéha brata, pofažne syagra
                Jána PETRÍKA
                Svojno savitel'a našu sústrast'.
                Juraj Petrik s. rodinou

                Thank you.