Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Translation, please

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 31 9:14 PM
      Dear Janko,
      Thank you for your translation. Since it was next to a person's name do
      you suppose that they are possibly a mail or message deliverer?
      Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 31 9:36 PM
        At 09:14 PM 7/31/00 -0700, you wrote:
        >Dear Janko,
        > Thank you for your translation. Since it was next to a person's name do
        >you suppose that they are possibly a mail or message deliverer?
        > Michael Mojher

        Could very well be that he is a owner or associated with the business. I
        have a second cousin who is a dentist and that information is placed next
        to her name. I've seen it with others in the phone book also. I think it
        would indicate more than a normal employee relationship with the business.

        By the way, do you have any Starinskys in your tree? My b-i-l's father was
        from Plavnica and I stopped to take some photos and videotape of the
        village and cemetery while passing through last Fall.

        John
      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 31 11:09 PM
          John,
          Thanks for the information. Sorry, no Starinsky's in my tree.
          Michael Mojher
          > > Thank you for your translation. Since it was next to a person's name
          do
          > >you suppose that they are possibly a mail or message deliverer?
          > > Michael Mojher
          >
          > Could very well be that he is a owner or associated with the business. I
          > have a second cousin who is a dentist and that information is placed next
          > to her name. I've seen it with others in the phone book also. I think it
          > would indicate more than a normal employee relationship with the business.
          >
          > By the way, do you have any Starinskys in your tree? My b-i-l's father
          was
          > from Plavnica and I stopped to take some photos and videotape of the
          > village and cemetery while passing through last Fall.
          >
          > John

        • Ginger
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 25, 2000
            Can anyone translate these words to English?
            uchina
            leckar
            lekarka
            vysne
            visne
            Thank you,
            Ginger
          • Madrobnak@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 25, 2000
              Try this website
              <A HREF="http://www.slovak.org/book/">SLOVAKOPEDIA - The Internet
              Encyclopedia of Slo…</A>

              Good luck
              Mary Anne
            • Jozef Porubcansky
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 26, 2000
                uchina (ujcina) = wife of mother's brother
                leckar (lekar) = doctor (man)
                lekarka = doctor (woman)
                vysne = high (used mostly in place names)
                visne = morello

                Jozef

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 16, 2003
                  Dear List:

                  Would someone be able to help me with this obituary that I believe is in
                  Slovak; it ran in a NYC newspaper on Jan 5, 1922.. The clipping is falling to
                  pieces so a few words are missing here and there, and maybe I have mispelled a
                  few words.

                  ŠIALENÝ MILENN ZRANIL

                  VYSLOVENIE SÚSTRASTI
                  Našej drahej švagrine a mojej a jej milým
                  Dietkam drahomilovanéha brata, pofažne syagra
                  Jána PETRÍKA
                  Svojno savitel'a našu sústrast'.
                  Juraj Petrik s. rodinou

                  Thank you.