Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Translation, please

  • John
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 31, 2000
      At 03:39 PM 7/31/00 -0700, you wrote:
      >The following was beside a telephone listing, what does it mean?
      >"Zrychlena tg. dorucovacia sluzba"

      accelerated tg.(?) delivery service

      Janko

      >My roots are in Plavnica and Hromos.
      >Michael Mojher

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 31, 2000
        Dear Janko,
        Thank you for your translation. Since it was next to a person's name do
        you suppose that they are possibly a mail or message deliverer?
        Michael Mojher
        > >The following was beside a telephone listing, what does it mean?
        > >"Zrychlena tg. dorucovacia sluzba"
        >
        > accelerated tg.(?) delivery service
        >
        > Janko
        >
        > >My roots are in Plavnica and Hromos.
        > >Michael Mojher

      • John
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 31, 2000
          At 09:14 PM 7/31/00 -0700, you wrote:
          >Dear Janko,
          > Thank you for your translation. Since it was next to a person's name do
          >you suppose that they are possibly a mail or message deliverer?
          > Michael Mojher

          Could very well be that he is a owner or associated with the business. I
          have a second cousin who is a dentist and that information is placed next
          to her name. I've seen it with others in the phone book also. I think it
          would indicate more than a normal employee relationship with the business.

          By the way, do you have any Starinskys in your tree? My b-i-l's father was
          from Plavnica and I stopped to take some photos and videotape of the
          village and cemetery while passing through last Fall.

          John
        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 31, 2000
            John,
            Thanks for the information. Sorry, no Starinsky's in my tree.
            Michael Mojher
            > > Thank you for your translation. Since it was next to a person's name
            do
            > >you suppose that they are possibly a mail or message deliverer?
            > > Michael Mojher
            >
            > Could very well be that he is a owner or associated with the business. I
            > have a second cousin who is a dentist and that information is placed next
            > to her name. I've seen it with others in the phone book also. I think it
            > would indicate more than a normal employee relationship with the business.
            >
            > By the way, do you have any Starinskys in your tree? My b-i-l's father
            was
            > from Plavnica and I stopped to take some photos and videotape of the
            > village and cemetery while passing through last Fall.
            >
            > John

          • Ginger
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 25, 2000
              Can anyone translate these words to English?
              uchina
              leckar
              lekarka
              vysne
              visne
              Thank you,
              Ginger
            • Madrobnak@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 25, 2000
                Try this website
                <A HREF="http://www.slovak.org/book/">SLOVAKOPEDIA - The Internet
                Encyclopedia of Slo…</A>

                Good luck
                Mary Anne
              • Jozef Porubcansky
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 26, 2000
                  uchina (ujcina) = wife of mother's brother
                  leckar (lekar) = doctor (man)
                  lekarka = doctor (woman)
                  vysne = high (used mostly in place names)
                  visne = morello

                  Jozef

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 16, 2003
                    Dear List:

                    Would someone be able to help me with this obituary that I believe is in
                    Slovak; it ran in a NYC newspaper on Jan 5, 1922.. The clipping is falling to
                    pieces so a few words are missing here and there, and maybe I have mispelled a
                    few words.

                    ŠIALENÝ MILENN ZRANIL

                    VYSLOVENIE SÚSTRASTI
                    Našej drahej švagrine a mojej a jej milým
                    Dietkam drahomilovanéha brata, pofažne syagra
                    Jána PETRÍKA
                    Svojno savitel'a našu sústrast'.
                    Juraj Petrik s. rodinou

                    Thank you.