Re: [S-R] Transylvanian Whopper Virgins

  • panther7775
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 4, 2008
      I'm with Vladi on this one...who cares!

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...>

      ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      > Behalf Of elzeini
      > Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 3:31 PM
      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [S-R] Transylvanian Whopper Virgins
      >

      > Burger King has launched an new ad campaign entitled Whopper
      Virgins.
      > I just saw the commercial on TV today. Commercial says it's
      location
      > is Budepesti (hope I spelled it correct) Transylvania.
      > They went there to have a taste test by people who never ate a
      > hamburger before.
      > The Burger King ad says to go to
      > whoppervirgins.com
      >
      > Has anyone seen the ad?
      > How do you feel about it?
      >
      > Lisa

    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 4, 2008
        Obviously, those who have written in reply-- including those in dissent.
        Ben

        ________________________________
        > The commercial mentions going to a rural village in Romania, which
        is most
        > likely Transylvania. But Budapest is the capital of Hungary, a
        large city,
        > and is nowhere near Romania.
        >

        > Pretty silly commercial all around, though.
        >

        > Janet
        >

        > _____

      • Ben Sorensen
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 4, 2008
          Yes... but Budeşti is in Romania.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bude%C5%9Fti
          Ben
          (Helen, I saw your post. Bunǎ Dimineaţa)
          :-)

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 5, 2008
            Then why bother to comment?

            Bill Brna

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 5, 2008
              Well, I was interested and cannot deny it. So I went to the website. They
              did not leave the studio to film it. No helicopters, dogsleds or such. ha
              ha. They are laying it on pretty thick. All pretty fake. My take is that
              since everyone is thinking "global," Burger King decided to try. Time will tell.
              Listen, anything that gets people to think about another country is a good
              thing.
              McDonalds went several years ago into Poland. There was a problem
              immediately with the meat itself. Poland was very clear that they would consider
              using most of the McDonald mandatory supplies but NOT the meat. The meat had to
              be from Poland because they would not use any genetically altered foods.
              McDonald had to concede this point if they wanted to get a foot into Poland to
              sell their stuff.
              So Burger King Whopper virgins beware of the meat. It is not what you are
              used to eating.

            • nhasior@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 5, 2008
                sorry i did not sign my post about the website.
                Noreen

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 5, 2008
                  Folks,

                  This subject is OFF TOPIC. Our forum is genealogy related only.

                  I encourage you to move your discussion to SLOVAK-WORLD or a ROMANIA forum.

                  Please, no more correspondence on this topic, consider it CLOSED.

                  Thank you for understanding.

                  Bill Tarkulich
                  Moderator
                • Julie Michutka
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 5, 2008
                    I read several years ago that when BK/McD/et al go into a foreign
                    market, they (sometimes? often? don't remember) use local beef rather
                    than importing, because it will taste familiar rather than "weird".
                    What goes in, must come out: the flavor of meat, eggs, and milk is
                    affected by what the animal eats. Some argue that the nutritional
                    quality is also affected. I think it makes sense economically and
                    politically for these companies to use local (in this case, Polish)
                    meat.

                    Julie Michutka
                    jmm@...

                    On Dec 5, 2008, at 7:17 AM, nhasior@... wrote:

                    > Well, I was interested and cannot deny it. So I went to the
                    > website. They
                    > did not leave the studio to film it. No helicopters, dogsleds or
                    > such. ha
                    > ha. They are laying it on pretty thick. All pretty fake. My take
                    > is that
                    > since everyone is thinking "global," Burger King decided to try.
                    > Time will tell.
                    > Listen, anything that gets people to think about another country is
                    > a good
                    > thing.
                    > McDonalds went several years ago into Poland. There was a problem
                    > immediately with the meat itself. Poland was very clear that they
                    > would consider
                    > using most of the McDonald mandatory supplies but NOT the meat.
                    > The meat had to
                    > be from Poland because they would not use any genetically altered
                    > foods.
                    > McDonald had to concede this point if they wanted to get a foot
                    > into Poland to
                    > sell their stuff.
                    > So Burger King Whopper virgins beware of the meat. It is not what
                    > you are
                    > used to eating.
                    > **************Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and
                    > favorite sites in one place. Try it now.
                    > (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010
                    > )

                    > ! Groups Links

                  • Ben Sorensen
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 5, 2008
                      Hi Julie,
                      I think you are doing the same as I-- This is SR, not Slovak World. :-) Let's move it over...
                      Ben
                      Sorry all

                      jmm@pathbridge. net