Re: Translation for Brezovica

  • Paul Guzowski
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2008
      Tom,

      I'm no native Hungarian speaker but did study the language for three years
      while I lived and worked in Budapest so I may be able to give you some
      insight.

      This appears to be old Hungarian since some of the words don't appear in any
      of my dictionaries and it is a bit more difficult since there may have been
      accent marks on some of the letters. That said, based on what I was able to
      find, I agree with you that this is from a birth and baptismal register.
      I'm pretty sure the two phrases you listed ask for god parents' names and
      parents' names because szülök means parents and neve means name.

      The heading "Anyakonyve" with the proper accents would literally mean
      "Motherbook" which would be the book where a child's birth would be
      registered with the church.

      Sorry I can't give you a more perfect translation but I'm pretty confident
      in the basic idea of what you are looking at. Maybe someone else on the
      list can enlighten us further.

      Paul in NW Fl.