translation for Brezovica

  • Tom Geiss
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2008
      In looking through microfiches from Brezovica Nad Torysou I ran into some strange words,
      which are HUNGARIAN??, or what?
      Keresz Tszulok neve, allasa es vallasa
      A szulok neve allasa es vallasa

      This was in the section that I believe is births and baptisms.'
      I also saw the heading "Anyakonyve" which I assume translates to either births or baptisms. There also seem to be Hungarian spelling of surnames, maybe.
      Can anyone help me with the translation?
      Tom

    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2008
        Yes, Tom, these records are in Hungarian.

        keresztsz�l�k neve: name of godparents

        allasa �s vallasa: status and religion
        szulok neve allasa �s vallasa: parents names, status, and religion
        anyakonyve: register of births, marriages, and deaths

        Normally the data are provided in the following order:

        Date of baptism

        Given name of child

        Name of parents, their status and religion

        Name of godparents, their status and religion

        The most commonly encountered uniquely Hungarian consonants include:

        J - sounds like "y"

        S - sounds like "sh"

        SZ - sounds like "s"

        CS - sounds like "ch"

        CZ - sounds like "ts" (now obsolete, replaced by C)

        It won't take you long before it all comes more easily-honest.

        Janet

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2008
          Thanks loads. It is as I had thought. That will definitely help.
          Tom
          Yes, Tom, these records are in Hungarian.

          keresztszülõk neve: name of godparents

          allasa és vallasa: status and religion
          szulok neve allasa és vallasa: parents names, status, and religion
          anyakonyve: register of births, marriages, and deaths

          Normally the data are provided in the following order:

          Date of baptism