Homework help

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hey there,
      I am going a final pedigree to finish a course, but wouldn't you know it, I two symbols in a German family register that I am not sure about.
      the first is # before an entry- I think it is a symbol meaning "buried."
      the other is |0|.  I have no idea. Second marriage? illegitimate? I know that 0|0 is divorced, but this one is the mirror image, and I am lost.
      Can you all help?
      Thank you!
      Ben

    • Frank R Plichta
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
        Here are the symbols used in German genealogy files.

        O = engaged (verlobt)

        OO = Married (Verheiratet)

        O/O = divorced (Ehescheidung

        O-O = illegitimate union

        * = born (geboren)

        (*) = born illegitimately (unehelich)

        + = died (verstorben)

        ++ = this line extinct (erloschen)

        +* = stillborn (totgeboren)

        +X = died with battle wounds (bei Wunde sterben)

        X = died in battle (bei Schlact sterben)

        ~ = baptized (getauft)

        Enjoy,

        Frank Plichta

        "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
          Ben,

          Here is another German Genealogy symbol.

          [ ] = buried (looks like a box).

          I don't find the # in any of my references. But that is not to say that it
          isn't also used in some circles.

          I also found:

          I. OO = First Marriage (erste Heiratet)

          II. OO = Second Marriage (zweite Heiratet)

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
            All of these are symbols that I found too, but these symbols in the assignment take the cake. I may just have to scan and post it.
            grrr.
            Ben

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
              Oh, and thank you Frank!!!