Re: [S-R] church transcription question

  • Joe Armata
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2008
      Is this from around Solcany? It might mean Mrs. Milec (Milcova), a widow
      (vd), Selcani (place of residence).

      Joe

      > Ludovit,
      >
      > 'vd' is an abrreviation for "vdova" (= widow)
      > Hence my reading is Milcová [the widow of] Selèáni
      >
      > cheers

    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
        vd could also be a Latin abbreviation for vide- see.
        I have see in Catholic documents "vide pag. 201" or "vd. p. 304" and once I saw vd. familia ______, so you could have a document that is cross-referencing.
        IF the document is in Slovak, then vd= vdova would be most likely, but the Selcani doesn't fit grammatically-- not that this in and of itself would nullify the "vdova" thought, as form documents don't always fit grammatically.....
        However, so far only Ludovit is able to verify the language, which would make a big difference....
        Ben

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
          Ben,

          I'm not sure I understand your request to propogate the name. I listed Milec because it was available in the document. It is in reference to a female ancestor so yes Milcova is correct. The "e" was an accented "c" so that is correct. Some how my copy/paste was corrupted by my yahoo maybe. Thanks for the possible meaning of vdova Alan. The fact that Selcani is a name is helpful. It's interesting /a little/ that the church bothered to put the masculine surname with her. Perhaps to note her late husbands surname without question?

          This document that the church sent is available in my folder here in the group, title- Leporis_family_church_record.doc. Feel free to eke out what you can. BTW, the language is Slovak, eastern dialect.

          Ludovit

        • Ben Sorensen
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
            I guess I meant that keeping the Slovak tradition of -ova or -sky to-ska may help you more than trying to move it into a masculine form when you see it. It is a church document? Therefore, it may be Latin- with the Milec for clarification. Usually the RC church kept (and keeps) records in Latin.  My records in Slovakia are in Latin, in fact....
            However, if it is a Lutheran church, I am going to bank on Slovak or German records....
            Ben

            ________________________________

            I'm not sure I understand your request to propogate the name. I listed Milec because it was available in the document. It is in reference to a female ancestor so yes Milcova is correct. The "e" was an accented "c" so that is correct. Some how my copy/paste was corrupted by my yahoo maybe. Thanks for the possible meaning of vdova Alan. The fact that Selcani is a name is helpful. It's interesting /a little/ that the church bothered to put the masculine surname with her. Perhaps to note her late husbands surname without question?

            This document that the church sent is available in my folder here in the group, title- Leporis_family_ church_record. doc. Feel free to eke out what you can. BTW, the language is Slovak, eastern dialect.

            Ludovit

          • Ludovit
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
              Ben,

              I understand. It is correctly noted as Milcova, but I thought it was
              strange that they would include Milec in the notation. The widow
              theory seems to fit given the discussion so far. I feel pretty
              fortunate that the church would consider sending that document to me.
              It did help when my cousin from Bratislava emailed the guy and he was
              very eager to help. He even asked questions about my great aunts that
              were not included in the document but were born there. For instance
              he had (church data boss) prior information that there were
              additional children born here in the states after my family left(my
              grandfather for one), so that would seem to indicate that my great-
              grand parents kept in touch. Just an interesting side note.

              Thanks,
              Ludovit

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>
              wrote:

              > I guess I meant that keeping the Slovak tradition of -ova or -sky
              to-ska may help you more than trying to move it into a masculine form
              when you see it. It is a church document? Therefore, it may be Latin-
              with the Milec for clarification. Usually the RC church kept (and
              keeps) records in Latin.  My records in Slovakia are in Latin, in
              fact....
              > However, if it is a Lutheran church, I am going to bank on Slovak
              or German records....
              > Ben
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Ludovit
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 8, 2008
                Joe,

                The church record is from Pivnice, about 39 Km north of Novi Sad.
                It is not far fetched though since I can verify that until recently
                the branch of the family in Bratislava still where on terms with the
                rest of the family that had migrated to northern Serbia. Many people
                seem to think that people just didn't move around much back then.
                Perhaps not for the most part, but this is just one more possible
                case where it seems they did. Now I have a little mystery. I'll see
                if my cousin in Bratislava has seen anything in the docs he has.

                Thanks Joe

                LL