RE: [S-R] More Hungarian names of months

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2008
      My friend has now given me the rest of the Hungarian names of the months,
      July through December, that are not associated with religious holidays or
      saint feast days:

      July: �ld�s hava, month of blessings

      August: �j keny�r hava, month of the new bread

      (Kisasszony, little miss, in the ecclesiastical list, also refers to the
      Virgin Mary)

      September: F�ldanya hava, month of the mother of the earth

      October: Magvet� hava, month of the sowing

      November: Eny�szet hava, month of dying

      December: �lom hava, month of sleep or dreams

      Again I think these names suggest a pagan origin and are therefore probably
      very old, much older than the religious ones.

      Janet

      _____