Translation, please

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 31, 2000
      The following was beside a telephone listing, what does it mean? "Zrychlena tg. dorucovacia sluzba"
      My roots are in Plavnica and Hromos.
      Michael Mojher

    • John
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 31, 2000
        At 03:39 PM 7/31/00 -0700, you wrote:
        >The following was beside a telephone listing, what does it mean?
        >"Zrychlena tg. dorucovacia sluzba"

        accelerated tg.(?) delivery service

        Janko

        >My roots are in Plavnica and Hromos.
        >Michael Mojher

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 31, 2000
          Dear Janko,
          Thank you for your translation. Since it was next to a person's name do
          you suppose that they are possibly a mail or message deliverer?
          Michael Mojher
          > >The following was beside a telephone listing, what does it mean?
          > >"Zrychlena tg. dorucovacia sluzba"
          >
          > accelerated tg.(?) delivery service
          >
          > Janko
          >
          > >My roots are in Plavnica and Hromos.
          > >Michael Mojher

        • John
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 31, 2000
            At 09:14 PM 7/31/00 -0700, you wrote:
            >Dear Janko,
            > Thank you for your translation. Since it was next to a person's name do
            >you suppose that they are possibly a mail or message deliverer?
            > Michael Mojher

            Could very well be that he is a owner or associated with the business. I
            have a second cousin who is a dentist and that information is placed next
            to her name. I've seen it with others in the phone book also. I think it
            would indicate more than a normal employee relationship with the business.

            By the way, do you have any Starinskys in your tree? My b-i-l's father was
            from Plavnica and I stopped to take some photos and videotape of the
            village and cemetery while passing through last Fall.

            John
          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 31, 2000
              John,
              Thanks for the information. Sorry, no Starinsky's in my tree.
              Michael Mojher
              > > Thank you for your translation. Since it was next to a person's name
              do
              > >you suppose that they are possibly a mail or message deliverer?
              > > Michael Mojher
              >
              > Could very well be that he is a owner or associated with the business. I
              > have a second cousin who is a dentist and that information is placed next
              > to her name. I've seen it with others in the phone book also. I think it
              > would indicate more than a normal employee relationship with the business.
              >
              > By the way, do you have any Starinskys in your tree? My b-i-l's father
              was
              > from Plavnica and I stopped to take some photos and videotape of the
              > village and cemetery while passing through last Fall.
              >
              > John

            • Ginger
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 25, 2000
                Can anyone translate these words to English?
                uchina
                leckar
                lekarka
                vysne
                visne
                Thank you,
                Ginger
              • Madrobnak@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 25, 2000
                  Try this website
                  <A HREF="http://www.slovak.org/book/">SLOVAKOPEDIA - The Internet
                  Encyclopedia of Slo…</A>

                  Good luck
                  Mary Anne
                • Jozef Porubcansky
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 26, 2000
                    uchina (ujcina) = wife of mother's brother
                    leckar (lekar) = doctor (man)
                    lekarka = doctor (woman)
                    vysne = high (used mostly in place names)
                    visne = morello

                    Jozef

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 16, 2003
                      Dear List:

                      Would someone be able to help me with this obituary that I believe is in
                      Slovak; it ran in a NYC newspaper on Jan 5, 1922.. The clipping is falling to
                      pieces so a few words are missing here and there, and maybe I have mispelled a
                      few words.

                      ŠIALENÝ MILENN ZRANIL

                      VYSLOVENIE SÚSTRASTI
                      Našej drahej švagrine a mojej a jej milým
                      Dietkam drahomilovanéha brata, pofažne syagra
                      Jána PETRÍKA
                      Svojno savitel'a našu sústrast'.
                      Juraj Petrik s. rodinou

                      Thank you.