RE: [S-R] Hungarian Names for Months

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 25, 2008
      My Hungarian friend has confirmed the list of archaic names for the months
      that I sent previously and added some information.

      The Boldogasszony name for January, which translates as “happy woman,”
      actually refers to the Virgin Mary. He hasn’t yet sent me the reference for
      Kisasszony (young woman), the old name for August, but he has promised to
      cover July through December shortly.

      In addition to these names that refer to religious holidays and saints’
      feast days, there is another set of names for the months that refer to the
      seasons and the weather:

      January – Fergeteg (storm)

      February - Jágontó (melting ice)

      March – Kikelet (spring, or waking up from winter)

      April – Szelek (winds)

      May – Igéret (month of the promise; also the month of the burial feast of
      the calf)

      June – He did not give the name, but it is the month of the sun god.

      In my experience we run into these archaic references to the months only
      rarely in the Hungarian records, but it is interesting to see them as they
      relate to the strong religious and agricultural bases of the culture. These
      additional names also sound like they probably pre-date the names with
      religious associations, perhaps even to pagan times.

      I’ll be back with the ancient names for July through December.

      Janet

      _____

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 30, 2008
        My friend has now given me the rest of the Hungarian names of the months,
        July through December, that are not associated with religious holidays or
        saint feast days:

        July: �ld�s hava, month of blessings

        August: �j keny�r hava, month of the new bread

        (Kisasszony, little miss, in the ecclesiastical list, also refers to the
        Virgin Mary)

        September: F�ldanya hava, month of the mother of the earth

        October: Magvet� hava, month of the sowing

        November: Eny�szet hava, month of dying

        December: �lom hava, month of sleep or dreams

        Again I think these names suggest a pagan origin and are therefore probably
        very old, much older than the religious ones.

        Janet

        _____