handwriting in archives

  • Tom Geiss
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 25, 2008
      I find that only too often the people in the archives have worse handwriting than mine.
      I've got some surnames I'd like the pros in the group to verify RAICSEK FABI JE ( or is it
      FABIPH?? HOCZUS ( or HOCZUR?) then there's KUFOINTERY?
      Tom

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 25, 2008
        Hi Tom,
        It would be vastly better if you could scan whatever handwriting you have
        been given and let a dozen eyes weigh in on it. It's hard to use our
        imagination otherwise. Plus, it eliminates yet another transcription
        variable...

        Bill

        On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 07:45:14 -0600, "Tom Geiss" <tomfgurka@...> wrote:
        > I find that only too often the people in the archives have worse
        > handwriting than mine.
        > I've got some surnames I'd like the pros in the group to verify
        RAICSEK
        > FABI JE ( or is it
        > FABIPH?? HOCZUS ( or HOCZUR?) then there's KUFOINTERY?

        Tom

      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 25, 2008
          >>> I've got some surnames I'd like the pros in the group to verify
          RAICSEK FABI JE ( or is it FABIPH?? HOCZUS ( or HOCZUR?) then
          there's KUFOINTERY? <<<

          Here's an approach to play with.

          Go to the Morse Gold Form and fill in the village name. Use the first
          letter or two of the surname and see what you come up with.
          http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisgold.html