Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Translation

  • Dick & Johanna Mihalek
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2000
      Hi Theresa,
      Has anyone helped you with translating the obit you've posted?

      Richard & Johanna Mihalek
      Northern Wisconsin by Lake Superior
      valhalla@...
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31, 2000
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Dick & Johanna Mihalek"
        <valhalla@w...> wrote:
        > Hi Theresa,
        > Has anyone helped you with translating the obit you've posted?

        So far I have that my great grandfather died on August 7, 1948 at 11
        in the evening, in his 80th year, after a long illness. He was born
        in Gayaroch Slovakia and lived in America for 50 years.Funeral will
        be
        on August 11 at 9 am in the chaple of Jan .....to the churh of St
        Michael the Archangel. Michal, Stefan and Andrej are his sons and
        Eva
        Nerad, my grandmother, his daughter......Emilia, Helen His
        daughter-
        in- laws.

        The rest we are unsure of. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
        This is more then I had before and gives me a timeline to look for
        his
        coming over to America.

        Theresa Nerad, Lehocky (Lihotsky)
      • Dick & Johanna Mihalek
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2000
          Theresa McGlothlen:
          Your translation you sent to me is, for the most part, quite good. Little
          bits that I can add are as follows:
          His dwelling was at 10348 South Albany Ave.
          After a lengthy stay in a hospital he died on Saturday, 7 August 1948 at 11
          o'clock in the evening. . .
          Gayaroch is not listed as any village, city, county/zupa or district/okres
          so that one is a puzzler.
          Something is pertaining to perhaps a group or organization called Freedom
          number 117 C.S.A. (Czechs and Slovaks of America??) as there were political
          attempts to help free their countrymen from Austrio-Hungarian rule. This is
          a big guess on my part!

          The funeral proceedings will begin on a Wednesday, the 11th of August at 9
          o'clock in the morning at the chapel of the mortuary of John V. Satala at
          4744 South Damien Ave, then on to St. Michael the Archangel Church. After
          the solemn/sorrowful services a farewell of the beloved body/remains of the
          departed will take place/be buried in the cemetery of the Crucified Lord.
          (Not sure of this cemetery's name.)

          Za tichu sustrast prosia: It's something like "We extend our condolences
          to. . ."

          You seem to have the names and relationships in good translation. The ml.
          after Stefan means Jr.

          I hope this helps and is not too far off in some areas. I had to assume
          that a few of the words were mispelled. . .

          Good luck.

          Dick Mihalek
          Richard & Johanna Mihalek
          Northern Wisconsin by Lake Superior
          valhalla@...
          > Here is the obit...minus the diacritic marks.
          >
          > OZNAMEMIE UMRTIA
          >
          > Stefan Lihotsky (Lehocky)
          >
          > obydlie 10348 So. Albany Ave
          >
          > po dlhsej nemoci. v sobotu dna 7. Augusta 1948. v 11:00 hodin vecer,
          > vo veku 80 rokov. Drachy zosnuly narodil sa v Gayaroch na Slovensku
          > a v Amerike prezil 50 rokov. Prinalezal do riaduVolnost cis. 117
          > C.S.A. Pohrab odbyvat sa bude v stredu 11 Augusta 0 9 hod. rano z
          > kaple pohrabneho zavodu Jan V. Satala, 4744 South Damien Ave., do
          > kostola Sv. Michala Arch., odkial po vybaveny smutocnych obradov
          > telesne pozostatky draheho zosnuleho vyprevadene a ulozene budu na
          > cintorin Vskrisenie Pana
          > Za tichu sustrast' prosia:
          >
          > MICHAL, STEFAN, ml., ANDREJ a CYRIL, synove; EVA NERAD, dcera;
          > EMILIA, HELEN a ANGELINA, nevesti; snachy, kmotri a knotrovia, pani
          > matka a ostatni pribuzni a znami.
          >
          > Sorry this is so long,
          > Theresa ...Nerad, Lihotsky (Lehochy)

        • Jozef Porubcansky
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31, 2000
            Hello,

            here is my translation of your obit.

            Jozef Porubcansky

            Death announcement

            Stefan Lihotsky (Lehocky)

            house 10348 So. Albany Ave

            after the longer illness, on saturday august,7th 1948. at 11:00 p.m.,
            at age 80 years. Dear dead was born in Gajary in Slovakia and he
            he had been living in America for 50 years. He belonged to the "Volnost"
            number 117 C.S.A. The funeral service will be on wednesday august, 7th at 9
            a.m.
            from the chapel of the funeral company Jan V. Satala, 4744 South Damien
            Ave., to the
            St. Michal Arch church., after the funeral service the his body will be laid
            at the
            "Vskriesenie Pana" cemetery

            For a silent condolence asking:

            MICHAL, STEFAN, jr., ANDREJ and CYRIL, sons; EVA NERAD, daughter;
            EMILIA, HELEN and ANGELINA, daughters-in-law; godfathers and godmothers,
            mother and other relatives and acquaintances
            > Here is the obit...minus the diacritic marks.
            >
            > OZNAMEMIE UMRTIA
            >
            > Stefan Lihotsky (Lehocky)
            >
            > obydlie 10348 So. Albany Ave
            >
            > po dlhsej nemoci. v sobotu dna 7. Augusta 1948. v 11:00 hodin vecer,
            > vo veku 80 rokov. Drachy zosnuly narodil sa v Gayaroch na Slovensku
            > a v Amerike prezil 50 rokov. Prinalezal do riaduVolnost cis. 117
            > C.S.A. Pohrab odbyvat sa bude v stredu 11 Augusta 0 9 hod. rano z
            > kaple pohrabneho zavodu Jan V. Satala, 4744 South Damien Ave., do
            > kostola Sv. Michala Arch., odkial po vybaveny smutocnych obradov
            > telesne pozostatky draheho zosnuleho vyprevadene a ulozene budu na
            > cintorin Vskrisenie Pana
            > Za tichu sustrast' prosia:
            >
            > MICHAL, STEFAN, ml., ANDREJ a CYRIL, synove; EVA NERAD, dcera;
            > EMILIA, HELEN a ANGELINA, nevesti; snachy, kmotri a knotrovia, pani
            > matka a ostatni pribuzni a znami.
            >
            > Sorry this is so long,
            > Theresa ...Nerad, Lihotsky (Lehochy)

          • Dollins
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 11, 2000
              C.S.A. is a fraternal organization which was founded in 1854 in St. Louis,
              Missouri, by a group of Czech immigrants to provide financial security to
              widows and children, as well as social interaction and activities. It is now
              based in Oak Brook, Illinois. See http://www.csafraternallife.org/

              Anabeth Dollins
              axd2@...

              >Something is pertaining to perhaps a group or organization called Freedom
              >number 117 C.S.A. (Czechs and Slovaks of America??)
              >>
              >> OZNAMEMIE UMRTIA
              >>
              >> Stefan Lihotsky (Lehocky)

              Prinalezal do riaduVolnost cis. 117
              >> C.S.A.

              >> Theresa ...Nerad, Lihotsky (Lehochy)
            • Jim Sagat
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 11, 2000
                Anabeth,
                I just visited the C.S.A. in oak brook last week, they have a nice
                small museum there,

                Jim
              • Theresa McGlothlen
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 11, 2000
                  Thank you so much for this information Anabeth. I have a neice
                  living
                  near there and I will see if she will look into it for me. Thank you
                  again.

                  Theresa