Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Zborov RC church records

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2000
      Tell me, are the entries for child #1 and child #2 otherwise the same,
      meaning by the same person, in the same language, in the same handwriting,
      etc.? What years are we talking about here? I ask because surnames change
      depend on who is writing them. Hungarians tend to use their orthography,
      Slovaks another, and sometimes the dialect version of the name is used
      versus an official version.

      This is probably the same person, but you can't be sure unless you find
      marriage and/or death records for these two children, confirming the name of
      their father. And probably spelling it a third and fourth way!

      You do not say in which church these records were made. That is important
      also.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 29, 2000
        I use those Zborov records periodically. Generally they are well written
        and easy to use.

        Much depends tho on the priest who wrote the entries in terms of
        handwriting and how they recorded the names. Even the same priest will
        spell the names differently if you look at enough birth, marriage and
        death entries for a family over time. (You should see how they mangled
        NECHASEK, which is the main surname I am looking for there, I think at
        last county I had 6 different spellings.) I wouldn't get too hung up on
        it, tho I do usually note in the notes of my PAF how the name was
        spelled just to make it easier for family members who may use my data in
        50 years :)

        Usually a note after a parents name or a bride/grooms name indicates
        where they were born or at least where they came from. I'd say what you
        are looking at is a location.

        As for the RK vs. GK, I have come across one mistake like that in those
        records in my family too. Maybe the priest just wrote fast that day. To
        my knowledge, only Roman Catholic records are on those films, at least
        the 3 I looked at.

        Hope this helps.

      • John Cerul
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 9, 2000
          Thank you to the Group for the replies,

          I have answered direct replies separately

          The listings I mentioned originally were in the 1881-1883 time
          period and were on Hungarian forms, but I think the Slovak
          priests were resisting the changeover to the Hungarian
          language. I have since found what I think is the marriage
          entry for my GGF and GGM. It was in 1874 and was in Latin,
          so that this time period was a time of transition. Additionally
          although the surname is Cziruly instead of Czeruly his given
          name is Athanasius instead of Janos it is the only surname
          that comes close, in the 1870-1880 time frame. GGM's
          name and age is a match. Now I have to wait until the 22nd
          to get back to the films at the FHC to find GGM's birth.
          additionally GGF's town is listed as Pitrova which is the
          Rusyn spelling of Petrova.

          In addition, I had given the wrong direction for Petrova from
          Smilno. It's West not East. I promise to stand in the correct
          town the next time that I figure the direction.

          Maura, I have found one mistake in the records so far..
          The Greek Catholic records for the town of Hutka are listed
          as being Roman Catholic. But the cover of the book plainly
          is Greek Catholic. I will forward this to Salt Lake.

          Thanks again all
          John