Re: [S-R] L.D.S. records for Spisska Nova Vest

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2008
      Tom,
      It may be that you are looking for listings in one language, say Slovak. But you happen to be reading them in another language. Latin, Hungarian were the primary languages used for records. Latin for the Church records and Hungarian for the civil records. What is now Slovakia was for 900 years "Northern Hungary". Here is a link to where you can find how records were kept in all three languages.
      http://www.bmi.net/~latin/
      Hopefully this will make it possible for you to understand which records you are looking at.
      Michael Mojher