Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Oplatki (SP?) Christmas bread

  • Mapetras5@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 29, 2000
      We make, Stollen, or fruited Christmas bread. Sweet butter dough, dried
      apricots, almonds, cherries, raisins, and figs sometimes. I soak the fruit
      in rum and it is gone before the morning is over.

      I don't remember a ceremony.

      Kathie in TX
    • Mapetras5@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 29, 2000
        Nothing like Gan-Gan's Christmas bread!
      • Mapetras5@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 29, 2000
          In a message dated 7/29/00 11:49:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
          ekephart1@... writes:

          << I remember the Xmas eve supper at my grandmothers home, where the bread
          was passed out and served with honey after the blessings and I was only a
          child I am now 65, my grandmother was from Austria,Hungry which today is
          known as Slovakia, It a blessed piece and we couldnot waste it. if it
          dropped on the floor,I remember my grandmother would pick it up and eat
          it, oh for such memories.

          We always had a catfish fry and lots of potatoes and vegetables from the
          garden. The men would use a 50 Gallon drum in the yard and we women, then I
          was a little girl would bake in the house.

          Kathie in TX