HRITZ and RUHALA

  • aintabsi2
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
      Is there anyone else researching these names? Are these Slovak, Hungarian or other, based
      on their spelling. My other search is for Macura families from Sarisske Jastrabie. I am not
      certain if the HRITZ and RUHALA families were also from Sarisske Jastrabie or a nearby
      location. My husband's great grandmother was Mary Hritz and I understand that her
      mother's name was Ruhala. That is all the information I have at present.
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
        >>> My other search is for Macura families from Sarisske Jastrabie. I
        am not certain if the HRITZ and RUHALA families were also from Sarisske
        Jastrabie or a nearby location. My husband's great grandmother was
        Mary Hritz and I understand that her mother's name was Ruhala. <<<

        Ruhala is mostly Finish on Ellis island though there is a Hungarian
        reference. No current Slovak phone listings.

        Hritz is to common a name to make any determination of location.

        Have you reserached the church records for Sarisske Jastrabie at your
        local LDS Family History Center?

        Have you researched the 1869 Hungarian Census for Sarisske Jastrabie?
      • Ben Sorensen
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
          I found a few Hritz-ovia on http://slovnik.juls.savba.sk/

          Priezvisko HRITZ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nach�dzalo 132�, celkov� po�et lokal�t: 56, naj�astej�ie v�skyty v lokalit�ch:
          SPI�SK� NOV� VES, okr. SPI�SK� NOV� VES � 12�;
          GELNICA, okr. SPI�SK� NOV� VES (od r. 1996 GELNICA) � 9�;
          BELADICE, okr. NITRA (od r. 1996 ZLAT� MORAVCE) � 6�;
          KROMPACHY, okr. SPI�SK� NOV� VES � 6�;
          �ILINA, okr. �ILINA � 5�;
          VE�K� CHRA��ANY (obec BELADICE), okr. NITRA (od r. 1996 ZLAT� MORAVCE) � 5�;
          �URANY, okr. NOV� Z�MKY � 4�;
          ZLAT� MORAVCE, okr. NITRA (od r. 1996 ZLAT� MORAVCE) � 4�;
          �AMOR�N, okr. DUNAJSK� STREDA � 3�;
          PRE�OV, okr. PRE�OV � 3�;

          NO entries of Ruhala found in Slovakia.... :-(
          Sorry!
          Ben

          >>> My other search is for Macura families from Sarisske Jastrabie. I
          am not certain if the HRITZ and RUHALA families were also from Sarisske
          Jastrabie or a nearby location. My husband's great grandmother was
          Mary Hritz and I understand that her mother's name was Ruhala. <<<

          Ruhala is mostly Finish on Ellis island though there is a Hungarian
          reference. No current Slovak phone listings.

          Hritz is to common a name to make any determination of location.

          Have you reserached the church records for Sarisske Jastrabie at your
          local LDS Family History Center?

          Have you researched the 1869 Hungarian Census for Sarisske Jastrabie?

        • Lisa Marzonie
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
            See how Windows� connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your life
            http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/119463819/direct/01/

          • Lisa Marzonie
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
              Hmmmm....I don't think we could be dealing with Fins, so my guess is that it is Hungarian or a misspelling of what was a Slovak, Hungarian or "Ukranian" name. I haven't done any research yet. I just got these names from my husband (his family) yesterday. I thought I'd pop a quick query to see if anyone was already researching them. I will check with the Family History Center when I get the opportunity. I need another look at that census, anyway, but I've no idea when I might be able to do that. It may be summer before I can take the time....ugh....really slows things down.Thanks.Lisa"We have been called to heal wounds, to unite what has fallen apart and to bring home those who have lost their way." St. Francis of AssisiTo: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comFrom: johnqadam@...: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 15:47:11 +0000Subject: [S-R] Re: HRITZ and RUHALA

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
                >>>Hmmmm....I don't think we could be dealing with Fins, so my guess is
                that it is Hungarian or a misspelling of what was a Slovak, Hungarian
                or "Ukranian" name. <<<

                Ellis Island shows Ruchala as a Russian spelling.
              • helene cincebeaux
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
                  Hi -

                  Checking the Slovak Pride data base and found a listing for Gruhala - could that be your Ruhala with the g dropped? Just a thought.

                  Found 11 listings for Hritz and similarities Hrisz, etc - one is from Saris. Jastrabie.

                  for more info get back to me at helenezx@...

                  helene

                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
                      Thank you. I'll keep this information in a file along with Helene's "Gruhala." If I ever find anything more, maybe I can piece something together. I should have thought to search Ellis Island. I've had very poor luck with their search function, so I tend not to use them. I've actually found immigration records through ancestry.com that I could never locate on the Ellis Island site...go figure.Blessings,Lisa"We have been called to heal wounds, to unite what has fallen apart and to bring home those who have lost their way." St. Francis of AssisiTo: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comFrom: johnqadam@...: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:57:27 +0000Subject: [S-R] Re: HRITZ and RUHALA

                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
                        >>> I should have thought to search Ellis Island. I've had very poor
                        luck with their search function, so I tend not to use them. I've
                        actually found immigration records through ancestry.com that I could
                        never locate on the Ellis Island site...go figure. <<<

                        ELLIS ISLAND LISTINGS
                        I use the Morse front end, Gold Form, for researching Ellis Island
                        entries. http://www.stevemorse.org/

                        You can use just a few letters for the name or village and check off
                        several language choices, eg: Hungarian, Slovak, Ruthenian. Be aware
                        that transcription errors abound and so you should always look at the
                        manifest, which often has two pages.

                        MISSING ELLIS ISLAND MANIFESTS (MM)
                        Steve Morse's "missing manifest" function when scrolling through a
                        film. It allows you to jump 1, 2, 3 pages at a time and jump to
                        specific frame (page). Review the entire ship's manifest.

                        To use MM, http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/eidb/mm.htm you will
                        need to start with the date of arrival, and find that roll. Then find
                        the particular ship (by name, usually in an index at the beginning of
                        the roll). Then "scroll" to the beginning of the manifest and off you
                        go. These are the same images that EI uses. In fact, MM is just an
                        alternative method of accessing them.
                      • Julie Michutka
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
                          If I remember right, they've each done their own index; that would
                          account for it. Different eyes read the handwriting differently (or
                          more carefully), so the indices are not identical.

                          Which means, it does pay to check both ancestry's index and ellis
                          island's.

                          Julie Michutka
                          jmm@...

                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 17, 2008
                            Thanks. We learn by the school of hard knocks. Yes, I've found MANY discrepancies. Transcription errors abound. Some are understandable when you see the documents; others I fear are just carelessness. I really appreciate that ancestry now allows for corrections. I went through and corrected a lot of my family's records so that if anyone else ever searches the same documents it may help them. "We have been called to heal wounds, to unite what has fallen apart and to bring home those who have lost their way." St. Francis of AssisiTo: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comFrom: jmm@...: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:23:08 -0500Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: HRITZ and RUHALA

                            If I remember right, they've each done their own index; that would
                            account for it. Different eyes read the handwriting differently (or
                            more carefully), so the indices are not identical.

                            Which means, it does pay to check both ancestry's index and ellis
                            island's.

                            Julie Michutka
                            jmm@...

                            On Nov 17, 2008, at 3:27 PM, Lisa Marzonie wrote:

                            > I've actually found immigration records through ancestry.com that I
                            > could never locate on the Ellis Island site...go figure

                          • vchromoho
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 18, 2008
                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "aintabsi2" <lmbookworm@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Is there anyone else researching these names? Are these Slovak,
                              Hungarian or other, based
                              > on their spelling. My other search is for Macura families from
                              Sarisske Jastrabie. I am not
                              > certain if the HRITZ and RUHALA families were also from Sarisske
                              Jastrabie or a nearby
                              > location. My husband's great grandmother was Mary Hritz and I
                              understand that her
                              > mother's name was Ruhala. That is all the information I have at
                              present.

                              Since Sarisske Jastrabie is a village almost entirely inhabited by
                              Rusyns, and Macura is definitely a Rusyn (Carpatho-Rusyn) surname in
                              your case, I'm looking in Mikulas Dujcak's dictionary of Rusyn
                              surnames of eastern Slovakia for Hritz and Ruhala.

                              re: Ruhala -- I know there are Rusyns with the name Rugala but they
                              were mostly from southeastern Poland (i.e., they were Lemkos). The
                              surname dictionary has nothing close to Ruhala or Rugala (nor Rohala
                              nor Rogala). The only name remotely close is Rohal' (in Hungarian
                              documents this was written as Rohaly) from villages near Bardejov
                              and Medzilaborce.

                              re: Hritz -- the more common spelling in Slovakia today would be
                              Hric. Hric (or Hryc, as transliterated from Rusyn in the Cyrillic
                              alphabet) is listed in the villages Breznica, Hazlin, Kyjov (very
                              close to Sarisske Jastrabie), Lomne, Matiaska, Nizne Repase, Orlov,
                              Papin, Prosacov, Torysky, Tichy Potok, Fijas, Circ, and Sarisske
                              Jastrabie (bingo!).

                              At the time of the research for the book (over the 15 years
                              preceding 2003), there were in Sarisske Jastrabie 11 families with
                              the surname Hric and 44 individuals with that surname.
                            • david1law@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 18, 2008
                                I've seen the hard "h" and "g" used interchangeable in some names, including
                                in my own family clan, such as BALOGA and BALUHA, so it is possible.

                              • Lisa Marzonie
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 19, 2008
                                  Thank you, thank you. Now, I must ask...from what source does the information that Sarisske Jastrabie is primarily Rusyn come? Also, how do we determine whether Macura is, in fact, a Rusyn name? I know the other names may be misspellings, so if one version turned out to be "Rohaly," it wouldn't surprise me, but I have nothing to go on at this point.Now,as for Hritz, I have come across the Hric spelling, too, so I figure it was probably translated both ways. There are Macuras (& Macurovas) in Kyjov, too. I'd love to get in contact with these families. I'll be concentrating on that one day soon.Lisa"We have been called to heal wounds, to unite what has fallen apart and to bring home those who have lost their way." St. Francis of AssisiTo: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comFrom: rcuster@...: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 04:17:23 +0000Subject: [S-R] Re: HRITZ and RUHALA

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 19, 2008
                                    Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. I am so woefully ignorant of these languages and cultures, I appreciate every scrap of information/help.Lisa"We have been called to heal wounds, to unite what has fallen apart and to bring home those who have lost their way." St. Francis of AssisiTo: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comFrom: david1law@...: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 23:20:05 -0500Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: HRITZ and RUHALA

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 21, 2008
                                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Marzonie <lmbookworm@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Thank you, thank you. Now, I must ask...from what source does the
                                      information that Sarisske Jastrabie is primarily Rusyn come? Also,
                                      how do we determine whether Macura is, in fact, a Rusyn name? I know
                                      the other names may be misspellings, so if one version turned out to
                                      be "Rohaly," it wouldn't surprise me, but I have nothing to go on at
                                      this point.Now,as for Hritz, I have come across the Hric spelling,
                                      too, so I figure it was probably translated both ways. There are
                                      Macuras (& Macurovas) in Kyjov, too. I'd love to get in contact with
                                      these families. I'll be concentrating on that one day soon.Lisa"We
                                      have been called to heal wounds, to unite what has fallen apart and
                                      to bring home those who have lost their way." St. Francis of
                                      AssisiTo: SLOVAK-ROOTS@...: rcuster@...: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 04:17:23
                                      +0000Subject: [S-R] Re: HRITZ and RUHALA

                                      I can dig out the historical statistics from old censuses, but 1) the
                                      dialect of the village is indisputably an Eastern Slavic one, not a
                                      West Slavic (that is, Slovak) one; and 2) the population is primarily
                                      Greek Catholic (and there are some Orthodox also in the village).
                                      Situation 1) suffices to indicate that the people in a village are
                                      mainly Rusyns, but 1) and 2) together is pretty much "you can't come
                                      to any other conclusion from that except that this is and was a Rusyn
                                      village."

                                      In that immediate vicinity, Kyjov also fits the bill nicely as both
                                      1) and 2), Vislanka used to (it's probably mostly West Slavic-
                                      speaking now, i.e., Saris dialect of Slovak, except maybe the oldest
                                      residents still speak Rusyn) and if you go further back, Puste Pole
                                      and Durkova probably once were East Slavic- (i.e., Rusyn-) speaking
                                      even though I doubt anyone in those two villages today speaks Rusyn
                                      as their first language.

                                      All published ethnographic / linguistic literature from the communist
                                      period about the "Ukrainians" of Czechoslovakia counts Sarisske
                                      Jastrabie as such a "Ukrainian" settlement. Kyjov and Vislanka were
                                      so designated as well; not so much for Puste Pole and Durkova (where
                                      there are at least a majority of Greek Catholics, but who at least in
                                      the 20th century no longer spoke an Eastern Slavic dialect).
                                    • Robert Shive
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 28, 2008
                                        This is not going to be as learned as many answers you will receive. But, we formerly had neighbors Steve and Mary Hric.  Steve had come to the US in the 1930's originally and had worked for a long time in Detroit.  Don't know when Mary came here; but she regularly corresponded with relatives in Slovakia.  They have now relocated to Florida someplace.
                                        Steve said that he had a brother in Canada who spelled the family name slightly differently, perhaps Hricz.  Both Steve and Mary are pretty old, probably in their mid-80's.  Perhaps some of this will help

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 28, 2008
                                          Thank you. EVERY little bit helps! I'll see what I can do with this.Lisa"And if we accept that a mother can kill her own child, how can we tell others not to kill one another?"
                                          Mother Teresa To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comFrom: robert_shive@...: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 08:15:19 -0800Subject: Re: [S-R] HRITZ and RUHALA

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 30, 2008
                                            Yes, I am researching Hritz.  I have been ill for a while and just saw you notice of Hritz.
                                            I believe a Hritz came to southern Ohio in the early 1900's.  He came with his wife for
                                            work and to be with his good friend, Andy Gemeri.  Hritz's wife and  Andy Gemeri's wife
                                            were sisters.  They both came from (what is now) Slovakia.  I found this on Ancestry.com.
                                            Also, someone contacted me through Ancestry, com. and invited me to Michigan for a
                                            100th birthday party.  They also contacted Hritz.  I only had a week's notice of the birthday
                                            party and couldn't make it; Neither did Hritz.  I found out that the lady in Lansing, Michigan
                                            was Andy Gemeri's daughter.  Andy Gemeri was my grandfather I never met.  I kept contact
                                            with Michigan and went up there in July of this year.  The wonderful lady in Michigan is
                                            my great aunt.  She turned 101 now.  Best time of my life!  Met my wonderful cousin and
                                            his wife.  They found a Hritz (now living in California).  Hritz's wife would be related to us.
                                            The Gemeri name was changed to Gamary when they came to Ohio because it was
                                            easier.  I will check my paperwork this week for you and let you know what town in
                                            Slovakia  Andy Gemeri came from.  His good friend Hritz was probably from the same
                                            town.  My great aunt from Michigan went to that town when she was in her 80's to find
                                            the family (and she did).  I am trying to contact Hritz family in California.  I will get back
                                            to you this week.
                                            Karen Pivowar

                                            Is there anyone else researching these names? Are these Slovak, Hungarian or other, based
                                            on their spelling. My other search is for Macura families from Sarisske Jastrabie. I am not
                                            certain if the HRITZ and RUHALA families were also from Sarisske Jastrabie or a nearby
                                            location. My husband's great grandmother was Mary Hritz and I understand that her
                                            mother's name was Ruhala. That is all the information I have at present.

                                            _YYy_._,_.___
                                            To visit your group on the web, go to:

                                            MARKETPLACE

                                            From kitchen basics to easy recipes - join the Group from Kraft Foods

                                            Recent Activity

                                             4
                                            New PhotosVisit Your Group

                                            Yahoo! Groups
                                            Going Green Zone
                                            Save the planet.
                                            Your resources to go green.

                                            Yahoo! Groups
                                            Latest product news
                                            Join Mod. Central
                                            stay connected.

                                            Special K Group
                                            on Yahoo! Groups
                                            Join the challenge
                                            and lose weight.
                                            .

                                          • Lisa Marzonie

                                              Is there anyone else researching these names? Are these Slovak, Hungarian or other, based
                                              on their spelling. My other search is for Macura families from Sarisske Jastrabie. I am not
                                              certain if the HRITZ and RUHALA families were also from Sarisske Jastrabie or a nearby
                                              location. My husband's great grandmother was Mary Hritz and I understand that her
                                              mother's name was Ruhala. That is all the information I have at present.

                                              _YYy_._,_.___
                                              To visit your group on the web, go to:

                                              MARKETPLACE

                                              From kitchen basics to easy recipes - join the Group from Kraft Foods

                                              Recent Activity

                                              4
                                              New PhotosVisit Your Group

                                              Yahoo! Groups
                                              Going Green Zone
                                              Save the planet.
                                              Your resources to go green.

                                              Yahoo! Groups
                                              Latest product news
                                              Join Mod. Central
                                              stay connected.

                                              Special K Group
                                              on Yahoo! Groups
                                              Join the challenge
                                              and lose weight.
                                              .

                                            • andrew w
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jul 28, 2013
                                                I am also descended from the Baluha family. My family came from Fricovce near Presov. Any ideas about the origins of this family or if there are unrelated branches of this family? Have you ever come across the name Scerbaty?