[S-R] pronunciation Juraj and more

  • William F Brna
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 9, 2008
      Tom Geiss wrote: >I know that if I ever learn to speak Slovak, native
      Slovaks will always chuckle when they hear me. <

      Not so, Tom. I have just returned from my fourth trip to Slovakia. I
      don't know whether I would be classed as a "native Slovak" since I was
      taught to speak the language by my parents, but no one chuckled when I
      spoke Slovak. In fact, they were most appreciative of the fact that I
      did speak Slovak, even with my occasional grammatical error. On my most
      recent trip, I spent three weeks in Slovakia and spoke English for only
      about a half-hour of the entire three weeks. Several people commented to
      me how well I spoke Slovak. Only two people spoke English with me and
      one of those was a native-born Englishman who could not speak Slovak at
      all.

      William F. Brna
    • Tom Geiss
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 9, 2008
        Yes, William, I know well that people of every country appreciate it if you just TRY to speak their language, even if you stumble.

        And Jennifer, I highly recommend that you get, not just a dictionary , but you will need a grammar as well, as there are so very many different tenses of the verbs.
        I've been trying to learn it off and on now for a couple of years, but , when someone sends me a newspaper clipping, I can barely figure it out, even with a Slovak, English dictionary.
        I sent a Slovak pastor a letter last week trying to find some information regarding my family member, and I wrote BOLA NARODIL, only to figure out later that it should have been, NADODIL SA? I suppose that too isn't completely correct??

        The book I have is called COLLOQUIAL SLOVAK by JAMES NAUGHTON. Someone ordered for me from the internet. As I say , Slovak can be a bit tricky, for a beginner.
        Tom

        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 9, 2008
          Thanks Tom,
          I will be searching the net for books to buy!
          Jennifer

        • Nick Holcz
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 9, 2008
            No the link comes up as page not found. Anyone got the correct url please?

            Nick
          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 9, 2008
              http://www.pitt.edu/~armata/dialects.htm

              No the link comes up as page not found. Anyone got the correct url please?

              Nick

            • Ron Matviyak
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 10, 2008
                the link worked fine for me both times it was posted.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>