Lawrence Kaufmann

  • Larry Worrilow
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2008
      Hi all,

      My name is Larry Worrilow and I am new to this group. I've been
      studying my family for well over 12 years now but just recently
      shifted my focus to my mother's side of the family. Her parents
      emigrated from Austria-Hungary separately in 1906 and 1907. I have a
      genealogy blog at www.brasenhill.com where I go into the family in
      much greater detail so I will summarize here. Taking one family at a
      time, I am trying to locate the origin/birth city of my grandfather.
      His name was Lawrence Kaufmann.

      I'm using this spelling but I have found his surname written multiple
      ways like Kaufman, Kauffman, and Kaufmann. His tombstone in
      Bethlehem, Pennsylvania says Lawrence Kauffman. However, my mother
      spelled her maiden name, Kaufmann but some of her brothers used
      different spellings. Here is what I know about him.

      Lawrence immigrated through the port of Ellis Island and arrived 24
      Apr 1907 on the ship named the Statendam. The ship departed Rotterdam
      on 12 Apr 1907 and it says he was 17 years old when he arrived. The
      manifest listed his nationality as "Hungary", race of people as
      "Magyar", and his last residence as, "Esztergat". I'm aware that
      there is no places in Hungary name "Esztergat."

      Lawrence was born 23 Jan 1889 and married my grand mother, Wilburga
      Zopf in Bethlehem, Pa. at the Holy Ghost Catholic Church on 6 Oct
      1909. His World War I Registration card, dated 5 Jun 1917, shows him
      living with his wife and 4 children at 917 E. Third St., Bethlehem,
      Pa. Additionally, this card listed his place of birth as "Veszgserum"
      Hungary. The place name is very difficult to read but could be
      Veszprém. His World War II Registration card only list Hungary as his
      birth place. Lawrence died 3 Mar 1960 and is buried in Holy Ghost
      Catholic Cemetery, Bethlehem, Pa.

      I have spoke to the 2 living sons and 2 living daughters of Lawrence
      and they have no idea of his birth place. They even know less than I
      do and no other documents exist as far as I can tell. I don't think
      he complete any nationalization paperwork and he didn't have a Social
      Security card. I probably need to talk to the church in Bethlehem one
      more time to make sure there are no other records. I listed
      information about his other brothers on the website address above but
      some of that information has not been confirmed.

      Any help in pointing my in a direction that I haven't thought of would
      be greatly appreciated.

      Larry
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 7, 2008

        Hey Larry, yes, I see that your Ellis Island Manifest happens to be the only one that lists Esztergat -- I used Steve Morris' Gold form to search for any others from that town -- also tried looking it up on the Shtetlseeker site.  However, if you look at the manifest closely, he was going to a brother John in Bethlehem, PA -- I tried to look for a J. Kaufman -- anything from Hungary -- and didn't find anyone, but you should check the Census records -- you might get a confirmation on the village -- or a better spelling -- or one that's more readable.  Your key to this whole mystery is finding that village.

        Good luck.

        Caye

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 7, 2008
          Hi Caye,

          I have found one Janos Kaufmann and his wife Janosne Kaufmann that
          arrived on Apr 3, 1906 on the Vaderland. It appears that this John
          was in the US before and was in Bethlehem in 1901. He listed Vagy
          Estergaly (probably not the correct spelling) as his last address.

          The only thing listed on the census is Hungary. I have much more
          detail on my blog at www.brasenhill.com.

          Thanks,

          Larry

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

          > Hey Larry, yes, I see that your Ellis Island Manifest happens to be
          the only one that lists Esztergat -- I used Steve Morris' Gold form to
          search for any others from that town -- also tried looking it up on
          the Shtetlseeker site.  However, if you look at the manifest closely,
          he was going to a brother John in Bethlehem, PA -- I tried to look for
          a J. Kaufman -- anything from Hungary -- and didn't find anyone, but
          you should check the Census records -- you might get a confirmation on
          the village -- or a better spelling -- or one that's more readable.
          Your key to this whole mystery is finding that village.

          > Good luck.
          >

          > Caye

        • Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 7, 2008
            Is there a special reason that you thought this family was Slovak? Your
            place names are all in present-day Hungary.

            The village you are seeking is most likely Nagyesztergar ("Nagy" means big),
            about 20 miles north of Veszprem, Hungary, near Zirc. Bakonybel is just a
            few miles west of Zirc.

            Roman Catholic records of births, marriages, and deaths for Nagyesztergar,
            1770-1895, are available through your local Family History Center.

            As for the Zopf family, Felsoronok is way to the west in Hungary, near the
            Austrian border in Vas county.

            Roman Catholic records are also available for Bakonybel and Felsoronok.

            If you do not know how to access these, I would be happy to give you some
            guidance.

            Janet

            _____

            I have found one Janos Kaufmann and his wife Janosne Kaufmann that
            arrived on Apr 3, 1906 on the Vaderland. It appears that this John
            was in the US before and was in Bethlehem in 1901. He listed Vagy
            Estergaly (probably not the correct spelling) as his last address.

            The only thing listed on the census is Hungary. I have much more
            detail on my blog at www.brasenhill.com.

            Thanks,

            Larry

            yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

            > Hey Larry, yes, I see that your Ellis Island Manifest happens to be
            the only one that lists Esztergat -- I used Steve Morris' Gold form to
            search for any others from that town -- also tried looking it up on
            the Shtetlseeker site. However, if you look at the manifest closely,
            he was going to a brother John in Bethlehem, PA -- I tried to look for
            a J. Kaufman -- anything from Hungary -- and didn't find anyone, but
            you should check the Census records -- you might get a confirmation on
            the village -- or a better spelling -- or one that's more readable.
            Your key to this whole mystery is finding that village.

            > Good luck.
            >

            > Caye

          • Larry Worrilow
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 7, 2008
              Thanks for the info Janet. Yes any guidance would be helpful. I take
              it that you are talking about the LDS Family History Centers. I live
              in Alabama and there are a few centers about an hour or two from my
              home although I've never been to one.

              Thanks,

              Larry

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

              > Is there a special reason that you thought this family was Slovak? Your
              > place names are all in present-day Hungary.
              >

              > The village you are seeking is most likely Nagyesztergar ("Nagy"
              means big),
              > about 20 miles north of Veszprem, Hungary, near Zirc. Bakonybel is
              just a
              > few miles west of Zirc.
              >

              > Roman Catholic records of births, marriages, and deaths for
              Nagyesztergar,
              > 1770-1895, are available through your local Family History Center.
              >

              > As for the Zopf family, Felsoronok is way to the west in Hungary,
              near the
              > Austrian border in Vas county.
              >

              > Roman Catholic records are also available for Bakonybel and Felsoronok.
              >

              > If you do not know how to access these, I would be happy to give you
              some
              > guidance.
              >

              > Janet

            • Larry Worrilow
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 7, 2008
                Sorry I didn't answer your question. I didn't think the family was
                Slovak but was told to post here by Bill Tarkulich. The description
                of this group says:

                For genealogy research, queries and assistance in locating information
                on ancestors who were from areas of the former Austria-Hungary empire
                and/or the former Czechoslovakia (currently the Czech and Slovak
                Republics).

                My ancestors were from the former Austria-Hungary empire so I thought
                that I could find some help here since this an area that is unfamiliar
                to me.

                Larry

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                > Is there a special reason that you thought this family was Slovak? Your
                > place names are all in present-day Hungary.

              • Bruce L Bauer
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 7, 2008
                  Larry, where are you in AL? If the nearby sites are in Huntsville,
                  send me a email off line and perhaps we can work out an arrangement
                  where I order the films and you don't have to make a special trip to
                  just order films. Cost here is $5.80 and they take several weeks (at
                  least) to come in. I usually go in 3 or 4 times a week.

                  Most FHC's are only open a set number of times a week. Hours are
                  available though the Familysearch.org site, but may be (and probably
                  are) outdated, so call before you go (especially with the holidays
                  coming up). The telephone will probably not be answered unless they are
                  open.

                  The same web site can tell you the films you need (under library).

                  Bruce

                  Larry Worrilow wrote:
                  > Thanks for the info Janet. Yes any guidance would be helpful. I take
                  > it that you are talking about the LDS Family History Centers. I live
                  > in Alabama and there are a few centers about an hour or two from my
                  > home although I've never been to one.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Larry
                  >

                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Is there a special reason that you thought this family was Slovak? Your
                  >> place names are all in present-day Hungary.
                  >>

                  >> The village you are seeking is most likely Nagyesztergar ("Nagy"
                  >>
                  > means big),
                  >
                  >> about 20 miles north of Veszprem, Hungary, near Zirc. Bakonybel is
                  >>
                  > just a
                  >
                  >> few miles west of Zirc.
                  >>

                  >> Roman Catholic records of births, marriages, and deaths for
                  >>
                  > Nagyesztergar,
                  >
                  >> 1770-1895, are available through your local Family History Center.
                  >>

                  >> As for the Zopf family, Felsoronok is way to the west in Hungary,
                  >>
                  > near the
                  >
                  >> Austrian border in Vas county.
                  >>

                  >> Roman Catholic records are also available for Bakonybel and Felsoronok.
                  >>

                  >> If you do not know how to access these, I would be happy to give you
                  >>
                  > some
                  >
                  >> guidance.
                  >>

                  >> Janet

                • Janet Kozlay