Re: [S-R] pronunciation Juraj and more

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
      In Denmark, if I am not mistaken, you can find a Sorendatter in some places. (My Danish is miserable. Grandma wanted us to be "successful" in America- so no "foreign" languages). In Slovak, the translation would be Sorenov syn. :-) Isn't this fun?
      I love languages!!!!
      Ben

      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
        Hi Joe et al...
        brilliantly guided, and a great resource- but isn't a soft d' better said as a normal d but with the flat of the tongue across the palate instead of the tip of the tongue behind the teeth? Same for t' too... I would say, but I am NO expert, and do not wish to quarrel...
        I wish I had the "technical terms" down for this- but phonetics is something I can do, but have a hard time describing. It still seemed to me, as I just tried out the guides- both yours and (even worse- the attachment!) I felt that your description was VERY close but still not quite the Slovak sound.
        Once again, I am not trying to disprove anything here, or "go against" what you are saying- as it is in the right direction in my ears-- but it doesn't seem like the sound is still quite right.
        I guess then, could we say that d' is a palatalization of d and t' is a palatalization of t? jCan anyone technically describe how to make these sounds? I know that I will stand corrected here..... :-)

        I am just trying to get the sound right for the learners out there.... :-) As I am sure that we have many secretly saying to themselves "Ja som, Ty si, On je....."

        Joe, your sound is definately VERY close.... better than that attachment.

        Ben

        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
          Ben,

          I stand corrected. I guess I was influenced by my wife's maiden name,
          which was Sorensen. My mother also wanted us to be "successful" in
          America. Knowing how to speak Slovak was essential in the area in which
          I grew up. I have just returned from three weeks in Slovakia and was as
          lo "successful" there, since I spoke English only for about thirty
          minutes and that with only two different individuals.

          Bill Brna

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
            Boy, that sounds familiar. Which is probably why no one ever spoke
            Slovak much in my family after arriving here. Heck, they even allowed
            the "Z" (not much choice probably) when arriving in upper Hungary. It
            seems like a natural thing to want to adapt to your new home land.
            Although this isn't the case with all immigrants, it certainly stands
            out to show their pride in 'becoming' Americans (or Servant to the
            crown/what ever the case may be). Different times, different
            attitudes I guess. I have even found where my name's sake had changed
            their first name to accomodate this thinking, changing Ludovit to
            Lajos (Hungarian) to Louis in America. All the same though as I
            understand it.

            Ludovit

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>
            wrote:

            > In Denmark, if I am not mistaken, you can find a Sorendatter in
            some places. (My Danish is miserable. Grandma wanted us to
            be "successful" in America- so no "foreign" languages). In Slovak,
            the translation would be Sorenov syn. :-) Isn't this fun?
            > I love languages!!!!
            > Ben

          • Joe Armata
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 8, 2008
              Yes, I think you're right about the pronunciation. The guides in
              English will be close enough, but a native speaker will always be able
              to tell!

              Joe

            • Tom Geiss
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 8, 2008
                Time for my two cents worth. I'm sure that it's the same in Slovakia as it is in America; You can tell what part of the country someone is from by their particular TWANG when they speak. Northeastern U.S. and southern drawl are two easy examples.
                I know that if I ever learn to speak Slovak, native Slovaks will always chuckle when they hear me.
                Tom
                Yes, I think you're right about the pronunciation. The guides in
                English will be close enough, but a native speaker will always be able
                to tell!

                Joe

                > Hi Joe et al...
                > brilliantly guided, and a great resource- but isn't a soft d' better said as a normal d but with the flat of the tongue across the palate instead of the tip of the tongue behind the teeth? Same for t' too... I would say, but I am NO expert, and do not wish to quarrel...
                > I wish I had the "technical terms" down for this- but phonetics is something I can do, but have a hard time describing. It still seemed to me, as I just tried out the guides- both yours and (even worse- the attachment!) I felt that your description was VERY close but still not quite the Slovak sound.
                > Once again, I am not trying to disprove anything here, or "go against" what you are saying- as it is in the right direction in my ears-- but it doesn't seem like the sound is still quite right.
                > I guess then, could we say that d' is a palatalization of d and t' is a palatalization of t? jCan anyone technically describe how to make these sounds? I know that I will stand corrected here..... :-)
                >
                > I am just trying to get the sound right for the learners out there.... :-) As I am sure that we have many secretly saying to themselves "Ja som, Ty si, On je....."
                >
                > Joe, your sound is definately VERY close.... better than that attachment.
                >
                > Ben

              • Michael Mojher
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 8, 2008
                  Joe,
                  I think you are familiar with this link - http://www.pitt.edu/~armata/dialects.html
                  For those who don't know this is a map of Slovakia and its dialects that Joe had redrawn. It is fascinating to see that there were 33 dialects areas identified in Slovakia. My ancestral village of Hromos was in dialect # 30 - Goral.
                  You get appreciate history when it becomes personal. My mother was taught Slovak. She is now 90 years old. That means she learned the Slovak of her parents. The Slovak of the late 1800's. Her parents and my father's parents ended up in Olyphant-Blakeley, PA because of its Slovak community. My mother recalls how "different" Slovak was spoken there. A few years ago when Slovak exchange students started coming to the high school where my sister worked we couldn't help but befriend them. One of the pleasures for my mother was a chance to speak Slovak. But now she was speaking to a generation born in the late 1980's. I couldn't help but ask the exchange students "how they found" my Mother's Slovak. They admitted that they had some difficulty at times because of the dialect she spoke. And just as much the "old fashion" way she spoke.
                  Language is organic and it changes. I found that where Goral may have been the dialect of Hromos. The predominant dialect there now is Saris. And just as the mass media, especially television, has supplanted a "standard English" for our dialects. So is Slovakia becoming more "homogenized" in the way they speak. Which is sad, because those dialects were a means for groups of people to have an identity. The Slovaks were able to keep their identity after 900 years of Hungarian rule and now they are finally a nation. Something of value will be lost if the dialects are now lost to modern communications.
                  It has been enjoyable to watch the discussion of the thread I started, "pronunciation Juraj and more", has shown the intricacies of the Slovak language.

                  Yes, I think you're right about the pronunciation. The guides in
                  English will be close enough, but a native speaker will always be able
                  to tell!

                  Joe

                  > Hi Joe et al...
                  > brilliantly guided, and a great resource- but isn't a soft d' better said as a normal d but with the flat of the tongue across the palate instead of the tip of the tongue behind the teeth? Same for t' too... I would say, but I am NO expert, and do not wish to quarrel...
                  > I wish I had the "technical terms" down for this- but phonetics is something I can do, but have a hard time describing. It still seemed to me, as I just tried out the guides- both yours and (even worse- the attachment!) I felt that your description was VERY close but still not quite the Slovak sound.
                  > Once again, I am not trying to disprove anything here, or "go against" what you are saying- as it is in the right direction in my ears-- but it doesn't seem like the sound is still quite right.
                  > I guess then, could we say that d' is a palatalization of d and t' is a palatalization of t? jCan anyone technically describe how to make these sounds? I know that I will stand corrected here..... :-)
                  >
                  > I am just trying to get the sound right for the learners out there.... :-) As I am sure that we have many secretly saying to themselves "Ja som, Ty si, On je....."
                  >
                  > Joe, your sound is definately VERY close.... better than that attachment.
                  >
                  > Ben

                • Synaptic Freak
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 8, 2008
                    yeah...Dialects :-)

                    http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/

                    Its all about music, I call myself Top Quark.
                    Music Page:
                    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=232115&content=music

                    Personal Profile Page:
                    http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=topquark

                    Interesting stuff: Defenestration, Trepanation (Just imagine, a trepanic drill!!...lol), Synesthesia

                  • bemimitwo@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 8, 2008
                      HI ALL,
                      Then would the Moravian language be more Slovak than Czech? My family was
                      from lipov
                      area and i know it was not proper czech.
                      Thanks Jennifer

                    • Michael Mojher
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 8, 2008
                        Jennifer,
                        I found this quote, "Moravian, a transitional language between Czech and Slovak and comprising a group of dialects, is also spoken."
                        Joe's map uses the modern border of Slovakia to show the 33 dialects. I have discovered that those borders did not mean a thing in the 1800's. The Goral dialect was spoken on both the Slovak and Polish sides of the Carpathian Mountains. Dialects are more a social construct than a political one. For the Goral dialect it certainly was helped when Poland had jurisdiction over the area for 150 years. Still the peoples of this area regardless were in contact with one another so much that the Goral dialect developed.
                        Lipov is not that far from the present Slovak border. The nearest area on the dialect map is #22 Zahorie. Even closer is a sub-dialect - 22b - Skalica. It would not be surprising to find out that the Liptov dialect is very close to the Skalica one. In a way dialects are 'transitional languages'. Liptov being closer to Slovakia was more than likely influenced more by Slovak than by Czech.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 9, 2008
                          Good morning Mike and SR listers,
                          Does the dialect link work for everyone else?
                          I found a picture of Joe but got the "Not Found" message for the dialect
                          link.
                          I was hoping to see the Bokliarka and Hervartov area!
                          Thanks, Mike McDermott, San Jose, CA

                          _http://www.pitt.http://www.phttp://wwhttp_ (http://www.pitt.edu/~armata/dialects.html)
                          For those who don't know this is a map of Slovakia and its dialects that Joe
                          had redrawn. It is fascinating to see that there were 33 dialects areas
                          identified in Slovakia. My ancestral village of Hromos was in dialect # 30 -
                          Goral.

                          Holiday needs. Search Now.
                          -aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)

                        • bemimitwo@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 9, 2008
                            Thank you for reply,
                            I wish I would have taken more interest in learning the language when I was
                            young and they were still alive.
                            When I tried to transulate a letter from my family using a dictionary the
                            first few word were ok but then a word transulated as urine? Well i told my
                            sister ether this is not going to work or this family really does
                            not want to here from us! .....We sent to be translated!..... Turned out they
                            were happy to here from us.
                            Now i am thinking if there is a Slovak dictionary this could be what i should
                            be using.
                            Thanks again,
                            Jennifer

                          • William F Brna
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 9, 2008
                              Tom Geiss wrote: >I know that if I ever learn to speak Slovak, native
                              Slovaks will always chuckle when they hear me. <

                              Not so, Tom. I have just returned from my fourth trip to Slovakia. I
                              don't know whether I would be classed as a "native Slovak" since I was
                              taught to speak the language by my parents, but no one chuckled when I
                              spoke Slovak. In fact, they were most appreciative of the fact that I
                              did speak Slovak, even with my occasional grammatical error. On my most
                              recent trip, I spent three weeks in Slovakia and spoke English for only
                              about a half-hour of the entire three weeks. Several people commented to
                              me how well I spoke Slovak. Only two people spoke English with me and
                              one of those was a native-born Englishman who could not speak Slovak at
                              all.

                              William F. Brna
                            • Tom Geiss
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 9, 2008
                                Yes, William, I know well that people of every country appreciate it if you just TRY to speak their language, even if you stumble.

                                And Jennifer, I highly recommend that you get, not just a dictionary , but you will need a grammar as well, as there are so very many different tenses of the verbs.
                                I've been trying to learn it off and on now for a couple of years, but , when someone sends me a newspaper clipping, I can barely figure it out, even with a Slovak, English dictionary.
                                I sent a Slovak pastor a letter last week trying to find some information regarding my family member, and I wrote BOLA NARODIL, only to figure out later that it should have been, NADODIL SA? I suppose that too isn't completely correct??

                                The book I have is called COLLOQUIAL SLOVAK by JAMES NAUGHTON. Someone ordered for me from the internet. As I say , Slovak can be a bit tricky, for a beginner.
                                Tom

                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 9, 2008
                                  Thanks Tom,
                                  I will be searching the net for books to buy!
                                  Jennifer

                                • Nick Holcz
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 9, 2008
                                    No the link comes up as page not found. Anyone got the correct url please?

                                    Nick
                                  • Michael Mojher
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 9, 2008
                                      http://www.pitt.edu/~armata/dialects.htm

                                      No the link comes up as page not found. Anyone got the correct url please?

                                      Nick

                                    • Ron Matviyak
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 10, 2008
                                        the link worked fine for me both times it was posted.

                                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>