Re: [S-R] Salay phone listings

  • christine mackara
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 4, 2008
      Thank you, Michael, for the explanation/translation. It helps!
      Johnqadam found the Salay name in Uzovsky Salgov. That could be the family of grandfathers sister !?.
      Thank you ,John

      Christine

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 4, 2008
        Christine,
        Usovsky Salgov is a small village not to far out of the city of Sabinov on Highway 68.
        Highway 68 is the one I drive on to get from Presov to Hromos, about 33 miles.
        Sabinov is about 9 miles west out of Presov on Highway 68.
        From the list below you can see that Salay and Salayova surnames are listed. I would think that these are relatives of yours. I do not think that would be from your grandfather's sister's family. If she married she would have a different surname. The Salay is a male and should be connected to the family line. Salayova is female, but you do not know if this is her original surname or a married surname. More than likely she is the wife of the Salay listed. Nonetheless, with your family history in the village and someone with the Salay surname it is more than likely they are related to you somehow. You have their house numbers. So you can write them.
        In the mean time go through the village website, especially the Fotogaleria: http://www.uzovskysalgov.sk/
        Uzovský Salgov

        county: Sabinov

        | map of the village | index of 1070 villages in Eastern Slovakia |

        OLD NAMES of the village(town): 1773 Usz-Salgó, Usowsky Salgow, 1786 Usz-Schalgó, 1808 Usz-Salgó, Ssalgow, 1863-1882 Uszsalgó, 1888-1902 Úszsalgó, 1907-1913 Pusztasalgó, 1920 Salgov, 1927- Uzovský Salgov

        SURNAMES:
        Babjak Babják Bircák Cehelský Cehelský Cehelský Cehelský Dlugos Falat Falat Fedorková Galko Galko Galková
        Galková Galková Jurcak Jusko Jusko Jusko Jusková Kiselová Kollár Kollárová Kopac Kovácová Kozáriková
        Krulaková Kvasnák Malík Martonová Merva Merva Mihálová Novotný Orjabincová Orjabinec Polak Racko Rapavý
        Rokosný Salay Salayová Slaninka Szkandera Simcík Simcík Spireng Stofaník Stofaník Stofaník Stofaníková
        Stofaníková Stofaníková Stofaníková Telesnický Triscík Tuleja Vandzurová Vavrek Zahurák Zupa Zupová

        SURNAMES added recently in 2008: Babjak Babjaková Barcziová Bircák Cehelská Cehelský Cehelský Danko Danková Dlugosová Falat Falatová Fekete Feketeová Futej Futejová Gala Galko Galková Galová Gasparovic Gasparovicová Hatala Hatalová Hurtuk Hurtuková Janiga Janigová Jarzebowská Jarzebowský Jura Jurcák Jurcáková Jusko Jusková Kisela Kiselová Kollár Kovácová Kozárik Královic Kundrát Kyselová Lesová Lukác Lukácová Malík Marcin Marcinová Marková Marton Martonová Merva Mervová Molcan Molcanová Novotná Novotný Olsavský Orjabincová Orjabinec Polák Puskás Racková Rokosná Rokosný Saksová Salay Salayová Sirotnáková Slaninka Smoron Smoronová Straková Szkandera Simcík Simciková Simcíková Stofanik Stofaník Stofaniková Stofaníková Telesnická Telesnický Tomás Tuleja Tulejová Ungvarská Ungvarský Vandzura Varchola Varcholová Vavrek Vavreková Volanský Zahuráková Zboray Zborayová Zupa Zupová

        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 4, 2008
          Thank you Mike for guiding people along that windy road that I laid here. I was at work, and couldn't help out... I am sorry. BUT, you did a great job!!!!
          Ben

          Thank you, Michael, for the explanation/ translation. It helps!
          Johnqadam found the Salay name in Uzovsky Salgov. That could be the family of grandfathers sister !?.
          Thank you ,John

          Christine

        • Marilyn Hertenstein
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 6, 2008
            Christine,
            A question for you….there are two elderly gentlemen in our church in St.
            Louis, MO with the surname Makara. Do you have relatives in St. Louis? One
            is the founding father of our Byzantine Catholic Mission Church.

            Marilyn

            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 6, 2008
              Marilyn,
              As far as uncle Joe knew, and in turn I know, besides the sister Sofia Makara, who married Joseph Hanisko, here in Philadelphia,Pa., nobody from that family emigrated. Maybe more distant relatives came over, but we don't know that. There is another Makara Family here in Philadelphia, and I visited with them about 20 or so years ago, but I was told, that we are not related.

              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 6, 2008
                Christine,

                I don't know about your Makara family, but the same was also told to my
                cousin Lucy by another Klodzen family member then living in another city (...no,
                "we're not related"). Years later a little investigation of the recently
                microfilmed records of Eastern Slovakia Churches revealed that indeed they were
                not only related, but that their respective grandfathers were brothers from
                village Vinne.

                My advice? Keep researching, families can get separated very easily.

                Eugene Klodzen

                In a message dated 11/6/2008 10:54:18 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                christine1931@... writes:

                Maybe more distant relatives came over, but we don't know that. There is
                another Makara Family here in Philadelphia, and I visited with them about 20 or
                so years ago, but I was told, that we are not related.
                Christine

                Holiday needs. Search Now.
                -aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)

              • Lisa Marzonie

                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 7, 2008
                    Eugene,

                    Thank you for your input. I should have said : we are not directly related. You are right, of course, never give up looking for new info. I keep everything! And now and then I go over the notes and find new ways to look at things.

                    Have a good weekend