Re: [S-R] Mazura Computes

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008
      Lisa,
      The information sequence is 1st) Name of the city, town, or village. This is sometimes followed with an "obec ....". In which case the obec is the name of the village, town or village and the first word is the name of an area within the city. Second is "okr" or okres which is the Counties or Districts. There are 72 Okres in Slovakia. Then a number is given, that is the number of people with that name that is living there. Or if they are using a telephone survey, how of that surname have a telephone. The County that you and I have been making referrence to is Stara Lubovna, in which the town of Kyjov is located that has 14 Macura living there.
      What you can see is that the Macura family has a very large population in the County of "Eadca". Unfortunately, the was a typo, it should be Cadca.
      Then there are 8 Kraj in Slovakia, which can be thought of as States. The County / Okre of Cadca is in Zilinsky Kraj. The Okre is named after the largest city in it Cadca. Which is due north of the large city of Zilina (the namesake of the Kraj). Okre Cadca is located at the top of the Slovak map about 3/4 of the way west, Just as the border heads southwest.
      It would be interesting to try and discover how this pocket of Macura surnames ended up in Kyjov.

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008
        Thank you so much!!!! I could tell what type of list it was, but I didn't know the words for the various geographic divisions.
        I'd love to be able to find some living relatives for my husband. To my knowlege, other than one distant relation in the Pittsburgh area, no one else knows ANYTHING except what we've been able to find here in the U.S. Unfortunately, my father-in-law is deceased. He really wanted to know more of their background. He had started to contact people, but in those years with no internet, etc., it was very slow going and he didn't get very far. Just this year I found his grandfather's grave in PA. Somehow over the years, the location had been lost. I was so thrilled to find the record of his mining accident and then the location of his grave....wish my father-in-law had lived to know. One day at a time....
        Thanks, again,

        http://windowslive.com/connect/post/wedowindowslive.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!20EE04FBC541789!167.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_092008
      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008
          Lisa,
          You may have the answer to your prayer and don't know it. You say that your father-in-law started to contact people. If you can find the addresses of people he wanted to contact you may have found your family. In the villages people keep the houses in the family. So more than likely any descendant of the person your father-in-law was trying to reach is living there now.
          With 14 Macura in Kyjov I would say your chances are very good that you will find someone.
          One of the traditions I have found in my ancestral village of Hromos and nearby Plavnica is a thing they call the "Do Name". "Do" in Slovak means of. The Do name is used when two people share the same given name and surname. So lets say there are two Michael Mojher in Hromos. How do you tell them apart? You use the Do name instead of the surname. The Mojcher family has three Do names: Adama (mine), Palody and Zid. So when people are talking about me they would refer to me as Michael Adama. What is interesting is that these are genealogically based branches of the family. These Do names are used in legal documents. The confusion comes because nowhere is this written down. It is a local oral tradition. So someone who comes across a document with Michael Adama in it would presume there is an Adama family in the village.
          I mention the Do name because when there are large numbers of people with the same surname they seem to be used. It looks like that is a possibility for you in Kyjov. So when you start searching there do not be surprised if someone asks if you know your families Do name. If you did know it you would have an instantaneous family tree.