Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] [Admin] How lists work

  • John
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 28, 2000
      At 09:42 PM 7/28/00 -0500, you wrote:
      >I'm not quite sure what is going on, but it appears we have some members
      >that might not understand how mailing lists work.

      Maura,

      I think your explanation covers the most critical part of how a mailing
      list works. I'd like to add that if members do not wish to receive mail
      through their ISP but wish to read the messages, they have the option on
      E-groups to do this and several other options.

      Got to: http://www.egroups.com/mygroups and when the page comes up it
      will show a list of all the E-groups you belong to (if you belong to more
      than one). At the right of the page there is a drop menu for each
      group. If you click on the drop menu it will show you 4 options:
      individual E-mails, daily digest, no mail/web only, and unsubscribe. After
      selecting the one you prefer, click on "Save Changes" in the drop menu column.

      The "Web Only" option means that you have to go to the SLOVAK-ROOTS (S-R)
      home page by clicking on SLOVAK-ROOTS and then click on "Messages" on the
      left side of the page to get to the Archives with all the messages. You
      will not receive mail with this option. It's a good one to choose if
      you're going on vacation. You can change back when you return. If you
      wish to respond to a message to the author only, click on the partial (for
      privacy) address and the message will go to the author only. If you click
      on reply, it will go to all members. Another feature of the archive is the
      ability to search all messages (2087 as minute ago) using a key word such
      as a surname, name of town, etc. and all the messages that have the key
      word will be displayed. The window for this is in the upper right hand
      corner of the "messages" page. Set the drop down menu for "This archive" or
      it will search all 300,000 E-groups on the Net.

      You can also click on "Members" on the left hand side of the S-R page and
      get a list of all members. Click on "Files" to see any files that have
      been uploaded. You can check all the other options on the left side of the
      page "Links", Database", etc. In addition, you can change your "Profile"
      at any time. The profile contains the information you placed in it when
      you signed up I believe.

      E-groups is an excellent way to communicate and it gives you and the
      moderator a lot of options for control. Sorry about the long post.

      John