Re: [S-R] pronunciation Juraj

  • Alan Antoska
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
      My eye its not 'yur-eye'.
      Try 'you-Ray' with the emphasis on theĀ 2nd syllable.
      cheers
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
        Thanks, Alan. You sound more like a seasoned "Native Slovak" than myself. I'm trying to learn the language. But Slovak is not as easy as, say, Spanish, or French. A few years ago ,I got out my dictionary, and my grammar book, and composed a letter to the Chancery in Kosice, in Slovak, requesting an address to a certain parish Church. Well they understood me enough to send me an answer, even gave me the name of the Pastor.
        Now I've composed one to the Pastor of the KATOLICKA CIRKEV, in Brezovica Nad Torysou, trying to see if he can help me with some information that I need, regarding an ancestor. Genealogy is an interesting adventure. Tom
        Try 'you-Ray' with the emphasis on the 2nd syllable.
        cheers

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
          hi guys, I am busy, but I noticed something here....
          Juraj is pronounced Yoo-rye, emphasis on the first syllable, and the "rai" is like "guy." Slovak, with exceptions in the dialects, NEVER has an emphasis on the second syllable.
          Vela stastia!
          Ben

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
            Thank you everyone. I haven't even heard the Slovak language since my
            grandpa and he never mentioned Juraj.

            Ludovit

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>