Re: [S-R] pronunciation Juraj

  • Karen C
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
      I hope I'm correct on this.  Juraj sounds like (yur-eye).
       Regards,

      Karen

    • Tom Geiss
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
        Correct. Go to the head of the class.
        I hope I'm correct on this. Juraj sounds like (yur-eye).
        Regards,

        Karen

      • Alan Antoska
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
          My eye its not 'yur-eye'.
          Try 'you-Ray' with the emphasis on the 2nd syllable.
          cheers
          I hope I'm correct on this. Juraj sounds like (yur-eye).
          Regards,

          Karen

          Search 1000's of available singles in your area at the new Yahoo!7 Dating. Get Started http://au.dating.yahoo.com/?cid=53151&pid=1011

        • Tom Geiss
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
            Thanks, Alan. You sound more like a seasoned "Native Slovak" than myself. I'm trying to learn the language. But Slovak is not as easy as, say, Spanish, or French. A few years ago ,I got out my dictionary, and my grammar book, and composed a letter to the Chancery in Kosice, in Slovak, requesting an address to a certain parish Church. Well they understood me enough to send me an answer, even gave me the name of the Pastor.
            Now I've composed one to the Pastor of the KATOLICKA CIRKEV, in Brezovica Nad Torysou, trying to see if he can help me with some information that I need, regarding an ancestor. Genealogy is an interesting adventure. Tom

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
              hi guys, I am busy, but I noticed something here....
              Juraj is pronounced Yoo-rye, emphasis on the first syllable, and the "rai" is like "guy." Slovak, with exceptions in the dialects, NEVER has an emphasis on the second syllable.
              Vela stastia!
              Ben

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
                Thank you everyone. I haven't even heard the Slovak language since my
                grandpa and he never mentioned Juraj.

                Ludovit

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>