Re: [S-R] Pottery in Slovakia

  • christine mackara
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 2, 2008
      Michael,

      Unfortunately ,both the Makara Family or the Krisso Fam., seems to have kept any ties to the old country. U. Joe used to say, it wasn't something we talked about. It just fascinates me, and I try to infect my family with the genealogy bug. I also like pottery. Where I come from the "Bunzlauer " was famous. I have many pieces of the blue pottery from Boleslawiec.

      Christine

      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 2, 2008
        Christine,
        If you don't have this website, you should - http://www.cisarik.com/
        There is an interactive map with blocks in it. Click on a block and a detailed map comes up. Click on a village with a red circle around it and an information page comes up. Most interesting is the list of surnames.
        I went "hunting": Secovce - Kriskova, Mackova and Macuga, Bracovce - Magura, 2 Magurova, Trhoviste - 0.
        My cousin, Jozef Dronzek, is the Dekan (Head) of the Roman Catholic cathedral in Trebisov. He oversees 150 villages that surround Trebisov. If you think that there might be a chance that you still have relatives in the area I can see what he might be able to find out.
        Secovce website: http://www.secovce.sk/
        Bracovce website: http://www.bracovce.sk/
        Trhoviste website: http://www.trhoviste.sk/
        Slovakia is working on every village having its own website. They are doing well, considering there are almost 3000 of them. Of course most are in Slovak, every once in awhile a site might have some pages that have translated to English or German. Fotogaléria is a word worth knowing, photo gallery. It is always worth a look at a village of interest.

        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 2, 2008
          Michael,

          Thank you for offering the help your cousin could give me. I think there are too many generations between now and the time the grandparents left there in the 1880's. As far as I can see, there is no family left in the Secovce area. Besides KRISO, some of the other names there, were KONTER and LESKO. I think, that I could have a chance with the Makara's and the Szalay Family in Presov. Maybe!
          In the 1869 Census, Mihal Kriso gives his birthplace as Berettö/Bracovce. The Mormons have a film from the Greek Cath. Church. I might get that. Secovce was also filmed and I should get that too.
          Yes, I have been traveling around Juraj Cisarik's sites. He is really marvellous. Now all I have to do , is learn to read Slovak. I will have to get at least a dictionary!
          Here is something else, that puzzles me : the birthdate family scources give for the grandparents, is different, than what I found in the church records. I should think, the church records are the correct ones, I'll just note the family scource ones.

          Thank you again for all your time,
          Christine

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 2, 2008
            Christine,
            I can appreciate the fact that there is just so far you may want to pursue a family line. My mother's paternal side is such a case. With the great-grand parents being house servants their trail is virtually impossible to follow. They arrived in Sarisske Michal'any. Grandfather was born there. His birth is the only record of them being there. No other children born. Their deaths not found there. If they left for another household, who knows where.
            I have to let you know that my Mother's maternal line continues in Presov. I use Presov as my base when I'm in Slovakia. In six trips I have now "lived" there for over three months. My mother's cousin is a Jozef Sopko. He, two sons, a son-in-law and now a grandson have been firemen in Presov. Grandson Lubo is now a Captain. So I can offer a Presov connection in your search for the Szalay. With the 'z' in the name after the "S" I would guess that this is a Hungarian spelling of the name. I would not be surprised that the "z" is not used in the Latin or Slovak records. So you might be searching for a Salay. Let me know what you have on this family.
            Your question asked, Why the family sources that listed a birth date were different from the church records. For most church records the recording is done in conjunction with the baptism. Most often this was done a day or two after the birth. So it was an immediate action following the birth. When the birth was recorded in the "family source" is usually not given. It could be from days to years after the birth. The longer after the more likely a discrepancy can happen. There were not many calendars hanging in homes back in the 1800's. So just keeping track of what date it is vs. what day it is was a little more difficult. And certainly not as much as a necessity as it is now. I do as you; use the church record as the "official" one and make note of what was in other sources.

            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 3, 2008
              Hello Michael,
              How could I ever thank you, for all the help you have given me and are now offering.
              I have thought about this family so long, (26 years), I feel like a part of it now.
              Grandfather Stefan Makara,(1861-1929)came to Philadelphia,Pa, in 1884. He left behind his parents, Iohannes/Jan Makara, * ca. 1820, and Maria Olsavszká. Jan was a carpenter/wheelright and owned a house. Stephen had a brother Andrew and sister Barbara.
              Borbala Makara (*29 Nov 1858) married 18 Feb 1878, Mihaly SZALAY, 29 years old, born in Uzovsky Salgo and prob. died in 1899. He was a man-servant/groomsman. They had 11 children, 5 died in infancy. (scource: church records). The others are: Karoly,*26 Jan 1878, Miklos, *25 Sept 1882, Istvan Ferencz, *7 Jan 1885, Lujza, *19 Dec 1887, Anna Ilona, *25 May 1893, Ilona Zsofia, * 8 May 1895
              We have an undated photo of the parents and four children. They look very grand
              I looked in the white pages for Slovakia, but didn't see Szalay or Salay in Presov.

              We have part of a letter from Presov asking grandfather to give his approval to sell the house in 1907. At that time the brother Andrew must have died, because his children Verona and Stefanovi, are listed as heirs. Question : is Stefanovi male or female?
              .
              The other thing I might mention. In those same church books, I saw, what could be brothers of Jan Makara.
              Greorgius Makara, * 1826, and Andreas Makara, * 1831. Andreas was a bricklayer. Their parents are Mihaly Makara and Maria Duchan/Dochan. Ioannes Makara, asciarius, was a witness at the wedding of Andreas Makara in 1861. But, I can't find Jan's birthdate or name of parents. So, that's were I am stuck! But already I know more about the Family, then I would have ever thought, or anybody in the family knows.
              Asking your cousins to help in this search, is really a big thing. Maybe these good people in Presov might not want anything to do with me, because I don't represent the Family. I try to share what I find, but there is no resounding response.

              What you said about the differences in the birthdates makes sense. Thank you.

              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 3, 2008
                >>> Borbala Makara (*29 Nov 1858) married 18 Feb 1878, Mihaly SZALAY,
                29 years old, born in Uzovsky Salgo and prob. died in 1899. . . . I
                looked in the white pages for Slovakia, but didn't see Szalay or Salay
                in Presov.<<<

                The name SALAY and SALAYOVA appears northwest of Presov in Uzovsky
                Salgov. Isn't that where you would expect to find them?

                Salayová Anna Uzovský Šalgov 130
                Salay Vladimír Uzovský Šalgov 27
              • Vladimir Linder
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 3, 2008
                  It is MALE and it refers to first name STEFAN.

                  Vladi

                  At 07:27 PM 11/3/2008, you wrote:

                  >Both. It refers to the whole Stefan family.

                • Ben Sorensen
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 4, 2008
                    That would actually be Stefanovci to refer to a whole family- Stefanovi is a dative case. For example: give it to Stefan-- daj to Stefanovi.
                    I hope this helps!!!!!
                    Ben

                    From: johnqadam <johnqadam@...>
                    Subject: [S-R] Stefanovi
                    To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Monday, November 3, 2008, 10:27 PM

                  • n8de@thepoint.net
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 4, 2008
                      Does not 'Stefanovi' refer to the RESIDENTS of the village of
                      Stefanov? [West of Senica]

                      Don Havlicek
                      now in Edmore, MI

                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 4, 2008
                        Nope, that is also the wrong formation. Stefanovi is a dative case noun- the resident would be Stefanovcan- plural Stefanovcania.
                        Isn't Slovak fun?
                        Here is a good place to get these questions of grammar and pravopis:
                        http://slovnik.juls.savba.sk/
                        I will gladly help you all out with this stuff... :-)
                        Ben

                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 4, 2008
                          Priezvisko SALAJ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nach�dzalo 440�, celkov� po�et lokal�t: 107, naj�astej�ie v�skyty v lokalit�ch:
                          OLCNAVA, okr. SPI�SK� NOV� VES � 48�;
                          SNINA, okr. HUMENN� (od r. 1996 SNINA) � 40�;
                          DIVINA, okr. �ILINA � 21�;
                          �ILINA, okr. �ILINA � 15�;
                          GONDOVO (obec NOV� DEDINA), okr. LEVICE � 15�;
                          VETERN� PORUBA, okr. LIPTOVSK� MIKUL�� � 13�;
                          CINOBA�A, okr. LU�ENEC (od r. 1996 POLT�R) � 12�;
                          LU�ENEC, okr. LU�ENEC � 11�;
                          KYSUCK� NOV� MESTO, okr. �ADCA (od r. 1996 KYSUCK� NOV� MESTO) � 10�;
                          SPI�SK� HRU�OV, okr. SPI�SK� NOV� VES � 9�;

                          There are some more opportunities above, and the phone listing should help too.
                          here are other spellings:

                          Priezvisko S�LAY sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nach�dzalo 2�, celkov� po�et lokal�t: 1, v lokalit�ch:
                          BOJNI�KY, okr. TRNAVA (od r. 1996 HLOHOVEC) � 2�;

                          Priezvisko SALAY sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nach�dzalo 378�, celkov� po�et lokal�t: 93, naj�astej�ie v�skyty v lokalit�ch:
                          PETR�ALKA (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA � 48�;
                          VYSOK� PRI MORAVE, okr. BRATISLAVA-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 MALACKY) � 20�;
                          PLAVECK� �TVRTOK, okr. BRATISLAVA-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 MALACKY) � 18�;
                          ZOHOR, okr. BRATISLAVA-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 MALACKY) � 16�;
                          GAJARY, okr. BRATISLAVA-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 MALACKY) � 14�;
                          MALACKY, okr. BRATISLAVA-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 MALACKY) � 11�;
                          TRNAVA, okr. TRNAVA � 11�;
                          DEV�NSKA NOV� VES (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA � 11�;
                          STAR� MESTO (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA � 11�;
                          RU�INOV (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA � 10�;

                          >>> Borbala Makara (*29 Nov 1858) married 18 Feb 1878, Mihaly SZALAY,
                          29 years old, born in Uzovsky Salgo and prob. died in 1899. . . . I
                          looked in the white pages for Slovakia, but didn't see Szalay or Salay
                          in Presov.<<<

                          The name SALAY and SALAYOVA appears northwest of Presov in Uzovsky
                          Salgov. Isn't that where you would expect to find them?

                          Salayov� Anna Uzovsk� �algov 130
                          Salay Vladim�r Uzovsk� �algov 27

                        • christine mackara
                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 4, 2008
                            Thank you, Ben.
                            I will study this a while
                            Christine

                            From: johnqadam <johnqadam@...>
                            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Monday, November 3, 2008, 10:24 PM

                            >>> Borbala Makara (*29 Nov 1858) married 18 Feb 1878, Mihaly SZALAY,
                            29 years old, born in Uzovsky Salgo and prob. died in 1899. . . . I
                            looked in the white pages for Slovakia, but didn't see Szalay or Salay
                            in Presov.<<<

                            The name SALAY and SALAYOVA appears northwest of Presov in Uzovsky
                            Salgov. Isn't that where you would expect to find them?

                            Salayová Anna Uzovský Salgov 130
                            Salay Vladimír Uzovský Salgov 27

                          • christine mackara
                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 4, 2008
                              Hi John, Vladimir and Ben,
                              Thank you so much for the clarification of the word "Stefanovi."
                              I felt I was looking at a male person , grandfathers nephew, I was right then.
                              Thanks again, Christine

                            • Michael Mojher
                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 4, 2008
                                Christine,
                                To help you read what Ben has sent.
                                The first sentence basically says the surname SALAJ in the year 1995 was found 440 time in 107 locations. The major locations are: then they list the major ones, but not all 107.
                                The listing is first) the name of the city , town or village. Second is "okr" or Okres, the County or District name. Sometimes a "obec" comes second, which is the name of an area within a city. Then they give the number of times Salaj was found.
                                There are 72 Okres in Slovakia. They are in 8 Kraj or States. I see that 110 Salaj live in Eastern Slovakia. Ben found 2 Salay that has an accent on the A. And 378 where there is no accent on the A.
                                The Salay family is definitely concentrated around Bratislava.

                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 4, 2008
                                  Thank you, Michael, for the explanation/translation. It helps!
                                  Johnqadam found the Salay name in Uzovsky Salgov. That could be the family of grandfathers sister !?.
                                  Thank you ,John

                                  Christine

                                • Michael Mojher
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 4, 2008
                                    Christine,
                                    Usovsky Salgov is a small village not to far out of the city of Sabinov on Highway 68.
                                    Highway 68 is the one I drive on to get from Presov to Hromos, about 33 miles.
                                    Sabinov is about 9 miles west out of Presov on Highway 68.
                                    From the list below you can see that Salay and Salayova surnames are listed. I would think that these are relatives of yours. I do not think that would be from your grandfather's sister's family. If she married she would have a different surname. The Salay is a male and should be connected to the family line. Salayova is female, but you do not know if this is her original surname or a married surname. More than likely she is the wife of the Salay listed. Nonetheless, with your family history in the village and someone with the Salay surname it is more than likely they are related to you somehow. You have their house numbers. So you can write them.
                                    In the mean time go through the village website, especially the Fotogaleria: http://www.uzovskysalgov.sk/
                                    Uzovský Salgov

                                    county: Sabinov

                                    | map of the village | index of 1070 villages in Eastern Slovakia |

                                    OLD NAMES of the village(town): 1773 Usz-Salgó, Usowsky Salgow, 1786 Usz-Schalgó, 1808 Usz-Salgó, Ssalgow, 1863-1882 Uszsalgó, 1888-1902 Úszsalgó, 1907-1913 Pusztasalgó, 1920 Salgov, 1927- Uzovský Salgov

                                    SURNAMES:
                                    Babjak Babják Bircák Cehelský Cehelský Cehelský Cehelský Dlugos Falat Falat Fedorková Galko Galko Galková
                                    Galková Galková Jurcak Jusko Jusko Jusko Jusková Kiselová Kollár Kollárová Kopac Kovácová Kozáriková
                                    Krulaková Kvasnák Malík Martonová Merva Merva Mihálová Novotný Orjabincová Orjabinec Polak Racko Rapavý
                                    Rokosný Salay Salayová Slaninka Szkandera Simcík Simcík Spireng Stofaník Stofaník Stofaník Stofaníková
                                    Stofaníková Stofaníková Stofaníková Telesnický Triscík Tuleja Vandzurová Vavrek Zahurák Zupa Zupová

                                    SURNAMES added recently in 2008: Babjak Babjaková Barcziová Bircák Cehelská Cehelský Cehelský Danko Danková Dlugosová Falat Falatová Fekete Feketeová Futej Futejová Gala Galko Galková Galová Gasparovic Gasparovicová Hatala Hatalová Hurtuk Hurtuková Janiga Janigová Jarzebowská Jarzebowský Jura Jurcák Jurcáková Jusko Jusková Kisela Kiselová Kollár Kovácová Kozárik Královic Kundrát Kyselová Lesová Lukác Lukácová Malík Marcin Marcinová Marková Marton Martonová Merva Mervová Molcan Molcanová Novotná Novotný Olsavský Orjabincová Orjabinec Polák Puskás Racková Rokosná Rokosný Saksová Salay Salayová Sirotnáková Slaninka Smoron Smoronová Straková Szkandera Simcík Simciková Simcíková Stofanik Stofaník Stofaniková Stofaníková Telesnická Telesnický Tomás Tuleja Tulejová Ungvarská Ungvarský Vandzura Varchola Varcholová Vavrek Vavreková Volanský Zahuráková Zboray Zborayová Zupa Zupová

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 4, 2008
                                      Thank you Mike for guiding people along that windy road that I laid here. I was at work, and couldn't help out... I am sorry. BUT, you did a great job!!!!
                                      Ben

                                      Thank you, Michael, for the explanation/ translation. It helps!
                                      Johnqadam found the Salay name in Uzovsky Salgov. That could be the family of grandfathers sister !?.
                                      Thank you ,John

                                      Christine

                                    • Marilyn Hertenstein
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 6, 2008
                                        Christine,
                                        A question for you….there are two elderly gentlemen in our church in St.
                                        Louis, MO with the surname Makara. Do you have relatives in St. Louis? One
                                        is the founding father of our Byzantine Catholic Mission Church.

                                        Marilyn

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 6, 2008
                                          Marilyn,
                                          As far as uncle Joe knew, and in turn I know, besides the sister Sofia Makara, who married Joseph Hanisko, here in Philadelphia,Pa., nobody from that family emigrated. Maybe more distant relatives came over, but we don't know that. There is another Makara Family here in Philadelphia, and I visited with them about 20 or so years ago, but I was told, that we are not related.

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Nov 6, 2008
                                            Christine,

                                            I don't know about your Makara family, but the same was also told to my
                                            cousin Lucy by another Klodzen family member then living in another city (...no,
                                            "we're not related"). Years later a little investigation of the recently
                                            microfilmed records of Eastern Slovakia Churches revealed that indeed they were
                                            not only related, but that their respective grandfathers were brothers from
                                            village Vinne.

                                            My advice? Keep researching, families can get separated very easily.

                                            Eugene Klodzen

                                            In a message dated 11/6/2008 10:54:18 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                            christine1931@... writes:

                                            Maybe more distant relatives came over, but we don't know that. There is
                                            another Makara Family here in Philadelphia, and I visited with them about 20 or
                                            so years ago, but I was told, that we are not related.
                                            Christine

                                            Holiday needs. Search Now.
                                            -aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)

                                          • Lisa Marzonie

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Nov 7, 2008
                                                Eugene,

                                                Thank you for your input. I should have said : we are not directly related. You are right, of course, never give up looking for new info. I keep everything! And now and then I go over the notes and find new ways to look at things.