Re: [S-R] Germans in Slovakia

  • f12hte
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
      THanks THomas!

      I think that my GGF settled down in Hrusov. Because he lists it as
      his last place of residence on the Ellis Island records. I have made
      some interesting discoveries reading these records of my GGF and G
      uncle, who traveled together. THe Great uncle lists ?, Schlesen,
      germany as where his nearest relative is from. Once I determined that
      his nearest relative was in Silesia (Schlesen), I looked at my GGF
      record again and compared all the names in 1900 Silesia against all
      the possible interpretations of the words in GGF nearest relative.
      Low and behold Ratibor (german name for current polish Racibórz) seems
      to be the word! GGS fecord says ?, Ratibor, germany. Now I have to
      look at all the cities in Ratibor county to try n find something that
      matches the city. I got confirmation of this when I read a german
      article detailing the derivation of the Kampczyk name. It appears
      that the lions share of them are in upper Silesia per the polish phone
      book. The remainder are in Germany and are probably ones that were
      caught up in the 1945 deportation of German speakers from Poland.

      THis is fun,

      Max

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <treimer@...> wrote:

      > Max,
      >
      > Remember that people from the Zips also worked in other places. Many
      Lutheran ministers worked in the Banat, for example, and craftsmen a
      bit everywhere. My greatgreatgrandfather from Eisdorf (Zakovce now) in
      1846 worked from 1845 to 1848 as stonecutter in Elberfeld on the
      Rhine, and then came back to get married and take over the family farm.