[Admin] How lists work

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 28, 2000
      I'm not quite sure what is going on, but it appears we have some members
      that might not understand how mailing lists work.

      When you sign up for a mailing list, you then get copies of all emails
      any member sends to the list. Not all emails will pertain to you, but
      you can learn by reading them and seeing what others are doing.

      It's not productive to send emails to the list saying "who are you" and
      "why are you writing to me" etc. This is how lists work. If you are
      uncomfortable with it, please unsubscribe instead of putting all the
      other members of this group through this exchange of emails.

      You can unsubscribe by going to the SLOVAK-ROOTS page url below, loggin
      in and unsubscribing.

      Maura
      Listowner SLOVAK-ROOTS

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 28, 2000
        At 09:42 PM 7/28/00 -0500, you wrote:
        >I'm not quite sure what is going on, but it appears we have some members
        >that might not understand how mailing lists work.

        Maura,

        I think your explanation covers the most critical part of how a mailing
        list works. I'd like to add that if members do not wish to receive mail
        through their ISP but wish to read the messages, they have the option on
        E-groups to do this and several other options.

        Got to: http://www.egroups.com/mygroups and when the page comes up it
        will show a list of all the E-groups you belong to (if you belong to more
        than one). At the right of the page there is a drop menu for each
        group. If you click on the drop menu it will show you 4 options:
        individual E-mails, daily digest, no mail/web only, and unsubscribe. After
        selecting the one you prefer, click on "Save Changes" in the drop menu column.

        The "Web Only" option means that you have to go to the SLOVAK-ROOTS (S-R)
        home page by clicking on SLOVAK-ROOTS and then click on "Messages" on the
        left side of the page to get to the Archives with all the messages. You
        will not receive mail with this option. It's a good one to choose if
        you're going on vacation. You can change back when you return. If you
        wish to respond to a message to the author only, click on the partial (for
        privacy) address and the message will go to the author only. If you click
        on reply, it will go to all members. Another feature of the archive is the
        ability to search all messages (2087 as minute ago) using a key word such
        as a surname, name of town, etc. and all the messages that have the key
        word will be displayed. The window for this is in the upper right hand
        corner of the "messages" page. Set the drop down menu for "This archive" or
        it will search all 300,000 E-groups on the Net.

        You can also click on "Members" on the left hand side of the S-R page and
        get a list of all members. Click on "Files" to see any files that have
        been uploaded. You can check all the other options on the left side of the
        page "Links", Database", etc. In addition, you can change your "Profile"
        at any time. The profile contains the information you placed in it when
        you signed up I believe.

        E-groups is an excellent way to communicate and it gives you and the
        moderator a lot of options for control. Sorry about the long post.

        John