RE: [S-R] anyone currently in Vitaz?

  • Lisa Marzonie
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2008
      Thank you. Lisa

      "We have been called to heal wounds, to unite what has fallen apart and to bring home those who have lost their way." St. Francis of Assisi

      ________________________________
      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > From: tomfgurka@...
      > Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 13:09:50 -0500
      > Subject: Re: [S-R] anyone currently in Vitaz?
      >

      > I guess most of the group is in Pittsburg right now, sipping Tokaj, and getting ready to hear Ben play the fujara tomorrow, so I'll throw in my two cents worth.
      > I'm quite sure that U.P.S. has offices in Kosice, not far from there. Call them and see how long it will take.
      > As for a greeting in Slovak, " Z BOHOM" is short and sweet. Translates, I believe into. " With God's blessing ".
      > Tom

      http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/115298556/direct/01/
    • Lisa Marzonie
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2008
        Thanks. I'll look into it...hopefully today.

        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 1, 2008
          Thanks, David. As I mentioned, these are not our direct relatives, they are "cousins of cousins." My husband had a whirlwind trip to Slovakia with 3 of his cousins---they are Jencas(fem. Jencova) and Jenca descendants. (Some of them in the U.S. now have the name Yancho--a slight corruption.) He met the Jozef Jenca family in Vitaz. We're in touch with one of their children (she has internet access because she is in school) and just learned they are having a special 50th birthday celebration for Jozef Jenca. We thought it would be nice and a BIG surprise if we sent something---at least a greeting.
          My husband's family was actually Macura (I'm not certain if that's supposed to be MaÇura---I think it is pronounced "matzura" or "Makzura") Anyway, they were from Sarriske Jastrabie. I haven't been able to find much information on them beyond what we know of their life here in the U.S. I obviously don't speak Slovak or Hungarian. (I haven't a drop of Slovak blood.), but I'm doing my best. I love the Slovak Roots group...I've learned a great deal from reading the posts. We'd like to go to Slovakia sometime...I was just finishing cancer treatment and didn't make the first trip. Unfortunately, with the economy the way it is, I think it will be quite awhile before we can do any travel...even domestic. We still have a couple of boys to get through college. This spring it will be "4 down, 2 to go." (One of those 2 thinks he wants to go to medical school, if that's still possible for a white middle class male.) Anyway, I think my research will need to focus on the area of Sarriske Jastrabie, unless we find indicators that the Macuras migrated there from elsewhere. I don't know if they were landowners. It appears there may have been some nobility in some branches of the family, but I haven't found out any more. (One of the names is a sort of "give away"---a woman with 4 names, I think was uncommon among the common people...we have a Ilona Carolina Paulina "Baronkay" (this may not be the original spelling of Baronkay). I think they were from "Ung, Megye," and some of their ancestral towns are now in the Ukraine. (Ugh!) There are also the following names: Pogan/Pogany, Fogarshay and Karol/Karoly. I don't know where they were all from. Our name is obviously corrupted---how they went from Macura to Marzonie is beyond us! We asked my husband's grandmother when she was still alive if she wanted to have it changed back to Macura, and she declined. She, however, was a Carol/Karol/Karoly. Well, I'm getting very long winded and must prepare a birthday dinner. As of today, we have only one "teenager" left, our next oldest son is now 20.
          BLessings,
          Lisa Marzonie

          "We have been called to heal wounds, to unite what has fallen apart and to bring home those who have lost their way." St. Francis of Assisi

          ________________________________
          > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
          > From: david1law@...
          > Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 15:25:36 -0400
          > Subject: Re: [S-R] anyone currently in Vitaz?
          >

          > Hi Lisa:
          >
          > My ancestors are from VITAZ. The names below are in my direct lineage, but
          > I've also done a lot of research on the extended families in the SIROKE
          > parish which includes VITAZ, OVCIE, and DOLINA. I look forward to hearing from
          > you. Please feel free to write me directly.
          >
          > Best regards,
          >
          > David Michael Baloga
          >
          > Researching: BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, CUJ (CSUJ) HAMRAK, HARBALY,
          > HARENCAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN,
          > RUSBACKY, TKACS, TOMASOV (and variant spellings thereof) in SARIS County
          > (villages of VITAZ, OVCIE, DOLINA, and SIROKE), in SPIS (villages of SPISSKE
          > VLACHY, KLUKNAVA, RICHNAVA, KALAVA, VITAZ, OVCIE, DOMANOVCE, SPISSKE HRHOV,
          > STARY SMOKOVEC (MLYNICA), and in GEMER County (village of ROZNAVA, BRZOTIN, and
          > surrounding area)
          >
          > **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
          > 5 Travel Deals!
          > (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212416248x1200771803/aol?redir=http://travel.aol.com/discount-travel?ncid=emlcntustrav00000001)

          When your life is on the go—take your life with you.
          http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/115298558/direct/01/
        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 1, 2008
            >>> (One of the names is a sort of "give away"---a woman with 4
            names, I think was uncommon among the common people...we have a Ilona
            Carolina Paulina "Baronkay" (this may not be the original spelling of
            Baronkay). I think they were from "Ung, Megye," and some of their
            ancestral towns are now in the Ukraine. (Ugh!) <<<

            Intriguing. I love a mystery.

            Ellis Island and the Slovak phone book gives us the spelling and some
            potential villages in eastern Slovakia. However, they are in Zemplen
            Megye = county, not Ung Megye.

            Boronkaj Milan    Poša 217, Poša
            Boronkajová Anna    Poša 18, Poša
            Boronkajová Helena    Poša 167, Poša
            Boronkajová Jana     Brestov 33, Humenné 1
            Boronkaj Štefan    Gaštanová 38, Humenné
            Boronkaj Radoslav    Májová 829/36, Medzilaborce
            Boronkaj Milan     Poša 217, Nižný Hrabovec
            Boronkaj Kovo - Bodor Slavomír Mojmírovce 1366, Mojmírovce 1

            Others may offer better insight.
          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 1, 2008
              >>> My husband's family was actually Macura (I'm not certain if that's
              supposed to be MaÇura---I think it is pronounced "matzura"
              or "Makzura") Anyway, they were from Sarriske Jastrabie. . . .
              Our name is obviously corrupted---how they went from Macura to Marzonie
              is beyond us! We asked my husband's grandmother when she was still
              alive if she wanted to have it changed back to Macura, and she
              declined. <<<

              Phone listings show Mazurova but no Mazur. Perhaps I am missing
              something. None from Sarriske Jastarbie.
            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 1, 2008
                I was just "hunting" nearby villages using the map page I sent previously. One block to the right, village of Kyjov has 4 Macura and 2 Macurova listings. A road connects it to Sarriske Jastrabie 3 km / 1.8 miles away.

                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 2, 2008
                  Thanks. Just got back to my computer after a long day.
                  I'll save this info. and see what further information I can find. I REALLY appreciate every bit of help.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 2, 2008
                    Thanks. Not being Slovak, I'm clueless, but I appreciate every scrap of information...we never know when something is going to suddenly come into play. I think they spelled it with a "c"----Macura, but whether that's accurate (original), I don't know. I also do not know if they were ALWAYS from Sarriske Jastrabie...the family could have come there from some other location. We know VERY little. In the U.S., they were Pennsylvania coal miners, but I don't know what they did in Europe.
                    Thanks again. I'll save the info and see if I can find anything more relating to this.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 2, 2008
                      Wow! Thanks! We'll have to see if we can "check this out" somehow. When my husband was in Slovakia 3 years ago, he was not the trip planner and did not have much time to look for records or anything. We'd like to go back, but God only knows how and when. Perhaps if I can do more research from home, I can prepare the way for a more fruitful search over there.
                      Thanks, again.
                      Lisa

                      "We have been called to heal wounds, to unite what has fallen apart and to bring home those who have lost their way." St. Francis of Assisi

                      ________________________________
                      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                      > From: mgmojher@...
                      > Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 19:39:53 -0700
                      > Subject: Re: [S-R] Mazura Computes
                      >

                      > I was just "hunting" nearby villages using the map page I sent previously. One block to the right, village of Kyjov has 4 Macura and 2 Macurova listings. A road connects it to Sarriske Jastrabie 3 km / 1.8 miles away.

                      http://windowslive.com/connect/post/wedowindowslive.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!20EE04FBC541789!167.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_092008
                    • Michael Mojher
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 2, 2008
                        Lisa,
                        I stepped into your conversation with 'johnqadam' and apologized in my first e-mail about not seeing previous messages.
                        Because my ancestral village, Hromos, is so close to Sarriske Jastrabie I wondered if I might be able to contribute something to your search. The Macura surnames in Sarriske Jastrabie and Kyjov should be of use. As you said, "I don't know if they were ALWAYS from Sarriske Jastrabie." My situation is similar. The Mojcher family was from Hromos, but it was not unusual to find family members living in Plavnica that was 3 km away. Just like your Macura family members.
                        What is so useful with that map I sent is you can do a "bull's-eye" search for a family. Begin with a village and then start working outwards from it, looking for the surname in other villages. That is how I found so many Macura members in Kyjov. Because of that find I would suspect that Kyjov may be the Macura ancestral village.
                        Hopefully, you will find like I did that my family has lived in its ancestral village for a very long time. I can place the Mojcher family in Hromos for over 310 years.
                        The Mojhers were also Pennsylvania coalminers - Olyphant-Blakeley.
                        Michael Mojher

                        Thanks. Not being Slovak, I'm clueless, but I appreciate every scrap of information...we never know when something is going to suddenly come into play. I think they spelled it with a "c"----Macura, but whether that's accurate (original), I don't know. I also do not know if they were ALWAYS from Sarriske Jastrabie...the family could have come there from some other location. We know VERY little. In the U.S., they were Pennsylvania coal miners, but I don't know what they did in Europe.
                        Thanks again. I'll save the info and see if I can find anything more relating to this.
                        Lisa

                        "We have been called to heal wounds, to unite what has fallen apart and to bring home those who have lost their way." St. Francis of Assisi

                        ________________________________
                        > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: johnqadam@...
                        > Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 02:20:36 +0000
                        > Subject: [S-R] Mazura Computes

                        > supposed to be MaÇura---I think it is pronounced "matzura"
                        > or "Makzura") Anyway, they were from Sarriske Jastrabie. . . .
                        > Our name is obviously corrupted---how they went from Macura to Marzonie
                        > is beyond us! We asked my husband's grandmother when she was still
                        > alive if she wanted to have it changed back to Macura, and she
                        > declined. <<<
                        >
                        > Phone listings show Mazurova but no Mazur. Perhaps I am missing
                        > something. None from Sarriske Jastarbie.

                      • Ben Sorensen
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008
                          Hej you guys... :-)
                          I just found you both something- this is the list of where� Macura can be found today. Mazura seems to be a germanized spelling to me- I could be wrong.� But Macura, pronounced the same, is in Slovakia even today:

                          Priezvisko MACURA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nach�dzalo 311�, celkov� po�et lokal�t: 91, naj�astej�ie v�skyty v lokalit�ch:
                          KR�SNO NAD KYSUCOU, okr. �ADCA � 20�;
                          Z�KYSU�IE (obec KR�SNO NAD KYSUCOU), okr. �ADCA � 20�;
                          KYJOV, okr. STAR� �UBOV�A � 14�;
                          �ILINA, okr. �ILINA � 13�;
                          HRABOVKA, okr. TREN��N � 11�;
                          KYSUCK� NOV� MESTO, okr. �ADCA (od r. 1996 KYSUCK� NOV� MESTO) � 11�;
                          TREN��N, okr. TREN��N � 11�;
                          DUNAJOV, okr. �ADCA � 8�;
                          ZBOROV NAD BYSTRICOU, okr. �ADCA � 8�;
                          U HLU�KA (obec �ADCA), okr. �ADCA � 8�;

                          I hope this is at least interesting...
                          Ben

                          ____________ _________ _________ __
                          > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
                          > From: johnqadam@rogers. com
                          > Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 02:20:36 +0000
                          > Subject: [S-R] Mazura Computes

                          > supposed to be Ma�ura---I think it is pronounced "matzura"
                          > or "Makzura") Anyway, they were from Sarriske Jastrabie. . . .
                          > Our name is obviously corrupted--- how they went from Macura to Marzonie
                          > is beyond us! We asked my husband's grandmother when she was still
                          > alive if she wanted to have it changed back to Macura, and she
                          > declined. <<<
                          >
                          > Phone listings show Mazurova but no Mazur. Perhaps I am missing
                          > something. None from Sarriske Jastarbie.

                          http://windowslive. com/Explore/ hotmail?ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ WL_hotmail_ 102008

                        • Lisa Marzonie
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008
                            Thank you. It might be useful...if I could read it. I see some location names & (presumably) the number of times the name appears, but I don't see the location where my husband's family is reported to come from, so this is confusing. I know there are still one or two families/persons there. Can you clarify?

                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008
                              Lisa,
                              The information sequence is 1st) Name of the city, town, or village. This is sometimes followed with an "obec ....". In which case the obec is the name of the village, town or village and the first word is the name of an area within the city. Second is "okr" or okres which is the Counties or Districts. There are 72 Okres in Slovakia. Then a number is given, that is the number of people with that name that is living there. Or if they are using a telephone survey, how of that surname have a telephone. The County that you and I have been making referrence to is Stara Lubovna, in which the town of Kyjov is located that has 14 Macura living there.
                              What you can see is that the Macura family has a very large population in the County of "Eadca". Unfortunately, the was a typo, it should be Cadca.
                              Then there are 8 Kraj in Slovakia, which can be thought of as States. The County / Okre of Cadca is in Zilinsky Kraj. The Okre is named after the largest city in it Cadca. Which is due north of the large city of Zilina (the namesake of the Kraj). Okre Cadca is located at the top of the Slovak map about 3/4 of the way west, Just as the border heads southwest.
                              It would be interesting to try and discover how this pocket of Macura surnames ended up in Kyjov.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008
                                Thank you so much!!!! I could tell what type of list it was, but I didn't know the words for the various geographic divisions.
                                I'd love to be able to find some living relatives for my husband. To my knowlege, other than one distant relation in the Pittsburgh area, no one else knows ANYTHING except what we've been able to find here in the U.S. Unfortunately, my father-in-law is deceased. He really wanted to know more of their background. He had started to contact people, but in those years with no internet, etc., it was very slow going and he didn't get very far. Just this year I found his grandfather's grave in PA. Somehow over the years, the location had been lost. I was so thrilled to find the record of his mining accident and then the location of his grave....wish my father-in-law had lived to know. One day at a time....

                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 4, 2008
                                  Lisa,
                                  You may have the answer to your prayer and don't know it. You say that your father-in-law started to contact people. If you can find the addresses of people he wanted to contact you may have found your family. In the villages people keep the houses in the family. So more than likely any descendant of the person your father-in-law was trying to reach is living there now.
                                  With 14 Macura in Kyjov I would say your chances are very good that you will find someone.
                                  One of the traditions I have found in my ancestral village of Hromos and nearby Plavnica is a thing they call the "Do Name". "Do" in Slovak means of. The Do name is used when two people share the same given name and surname. So lets say there are two Michael Mojher in Hromos. How do you tell them apart? You use the Do name instead of the surname. The Mojcher family has three Do names: Adama (mine), Palody and Zid. So when people are talking about me they would refer to me as Michael Adama. What is interesting is that these are genealogically based branches of the family. These Do names are used in legal documents. The confusion comes because nowhere is this written down. It is a local oral tradition. So someone who comes across a document with Michael Adama in it would presume there is an Adama family in the village.
                                  I mention the Do name because when there are large numbers of people with the same surname they seem to be used. It looks like that is a possibility for you in Kyjov. So when you start searching there do not be surprised if someone asks if you know your families Do name. If you did know it you would have an instantaneous family tree.