Re: [S-R] Germans in Slovakia

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2008
      Max, do you have a photo or scan of the page you can post under
      'files' for the forum to look at? With the wide variety of talented
      and experienced people here, you stand a pretty fair chance of getting
      some good guesses - along with a few wild ones as well!

      Ron
      PS If you dig through enough books and publications, there are
      references that state what parts of the Germanic countries supplied
      immigrants at what time in history. You might track some
      Karpatendeutsch writings or web pages to get more background.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "f12hte" <f12hte@...> wrote:

      > Thanks David,
      >
      > It looks like they came from everywhere! I have been looking in the
      > LDS Family History Library and can't find one group of greats in
      > Spissky Hrusov. I think that it is because these, the Kampciks were
      > relatively new immigrants into Spissky Hrusov. They listed
      Kortvelyes> as the place they were comming from, but for nearest
      relative, my G> Granddad lists his brother in ???something...Germany.
      If I could just> read that, it could open a whole new line of search
      for his ancestors> in that country. I've been using fuzzy gazateer to
      try to figure out> these place names....but they are badly scrawled
      and probably badly> spelled. For some reason, the first part of the
      place name looks like> Bernau to me, even though the initial B is
      missing.

    • treimer@nycap.rr.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 31, 2008
        Max,

        Remember that people from the Zips also worked in other places. Many Lutheran ministers worked in the Banat, for example, and craftsmen a bit everywhere. My greatgreatgrandfather from Eisdorf (Zakovce now) in 1846 worked from 1845 to 1848 as stonecutter in Elberfeld on the Rhine, and then came back to get married and take over the family farm.

        Good luck,

        Thomas

      • f12hte
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1 8:25 PM
          THanks THomas!

          I think that my GGF settled down in Hrusov. Because he lists it as
          his last place of residence on the Ellis Island records. I have made
          some interesting discoveries reading these records of my GGF and G
          uncle, who traveled together. THe Great uncle lists ?, Schlesen,
          germany as where his nearest relative is from. Once I determined that
          his nearest relative was in Silesia (Schlesen), I looked at my GGF
          record again and compared all the names in 1900 Silesia against all
          the possible interpretations of the words in GGF nearest relative.
          Low and behold Ratibor (german name for current polish Racibórz) seems
          to be the word! GGS fecord says ?, Ratibor, germany. Now I have to
          look at all the cities in Ratibor county to try n find something that
          matches the city. I got confirmation of this when I read a german
          article detailing the derivation of the Kampczyk name. It appears
          that the lions share of them are in upper Silesia per the polish phone
          book. The remainder are in Germany and are probably ones that were
          caught up in the 1945 deportation of German speakers from Poland.

          THis is fun,

          Max