Germans in Slovakia

  • f12hte
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 28, 2008
      Hi,

      Does anyone know from where in Germany the Germans came? Especially
      those who settled around Spissky Hrusov? My Great Grandfather claimed
      german origin in the ellis island record. In it, he lists a brother
      as his closest relative in country of origin. Take a look at the
      picture of this at LDS Chabanik picture "relative in origin country".
      In the middle of the photo, it says "Josef Kampcik" right under this
      is the name of the place in germany where this brother lives. It
      starts with the big R and ends with germany. Any ideas of what the
      writer was trying to spell here?
      Thanks
      Max
    • david1law@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 28, 2008
        Hi Max:

        In regard to your question as to where the Germans in the Spis region
        (particularly Spissky Hrusov) originally came from is a great question and one that
        needs a lot of historical context. The predominant German ethnic group in
        the Spis region were the Saxons. I've even seen the name SAKSA (meaning
        "Saxon") appear among the name of godparents in my family lineage in the Spis
        region. While the Saxons were the main group in the Spis region, there were also
        other groups of German/Germanic lineage in the Spis region. There were also
        Frankish settlements (Velka Frankova and Mala Frankova), Swedish (Svedlar), and
        Swabian (Svabovce, Majere) in the Spis region, and there were also a
        Bavarian settlement (Bajerov) in the adjacent Saris region. The first written
        mention of most villages in the Spis region (not necessarily those just German in
        origin) date back to the 13th and 14th century, though archeaological
        evidence shows human habitation back to the Stone Age (such as the discovery in
        stone age man in Ganovce). The Hungarian chronicles do reference Thuringia as a
        point of origin for German settlers in the Gemer region (adjacent to Spis) as
        far back as the 11th century. The Slovak Spectator has an article about the
        discovery of the grave of a Germanic chieftain in the Spis region (around
        Poprad-Matejovce) dating back to the 5th/6th century:

        _http://www.spectator.sk/articles/view/25074_
        (http://www.spectator.sk/articles/view/25074)

        I find the history of the Spis region to be extremely fascinating and it was
        definitely multicultural -- and predominately Slavic and German until the
        20th century.

        I hope that this helps a little, though it may prompt even more questions.

        Best regards,

        David

      • f12hte
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 30, 2008
          Thanks David,

          It looks like they came from everywhere! I have been looking in the
          LDS Family History Library and can't find one group of greats in
          Spissky Hrusov. I think that it is because these, the Kampciks were
          relatively new immigrants into Spissky Hrusov. They listed Kortvelyes
          as the place they were comming from, but for nearest relative, my G
          Granddad lists his brother in ???something...Germany. If I could just
          read that, it could open a whole new line of search for his ancestors
          in that country. I've been using fuzzy gazateer to try to figure out
          these place names....but they are badly scrawled and probably badly
          spelled. For some reason, the first part of the place name looks like
          Bernau to me, even though the initial B is missing.

          Thanks for the info...you must be a history professor!

          Max

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, david1law@... wrote:

          > Hi Max:
          >
          > In regard to your question as to where the Germans in the Spis region
          > (particularly Spissky Hrusov) originally came from is a great
          question and one that
          > needs a lot of historical context. The predominant German ethnic
          group in
          > the Spis region were the Saxons. I've even seen the name SAKSA
          (meaning
          > "Saxon") appear among the name of godparents in my family lineage
          in the Spis
          > region. While the Saxons were the main group in the Spis region,
          there were also
          > other groups of German/Germanic lineage in the Spis region. There
          were also
          > Frankish settlements (Velka Frankova and Mala Frankova), Swedish
          (Svedlar), and
          > Swabian (Svabovce, Majere) in the Spis region, and there were also a
          > Bavarian settlement (Bajerov) in the adjacent Saris region. The
          first written
          > mention of most villages in the Spis region (not necessarily those
          just German in
          > origin) date back to the 13th and 14th century, though archeaological
          > evidence shows human habitation back to the Stone Age (such as the
          discovery in
          > stone age man in Ganovce). The Hungarian chronicles do reference
          Thuringia as a
          > point of origin for German settlers in the Gemer region (adjacent
          to Spis) as
          > far back as the 11th century. The Slovak Spectator has an article
          about the
          > discovery of the grave of a Germanic chieftain in the Spis region
          (around
          > Poprad-Matejovce) dating back to the 5th/6th century:
          >
          > _http://www.spectator.sk/articles/view/25074_
          > (http://www.spectator.sk/articles/view/25074)
          >
          > I find the history of the Spis region to be extremely fascinating
          and it was
          > definitely multicultural -- and predominately Slavic and German
          until the
          > 20th century.
          >
          > I hope that this helps a little, though it may prompt even more
          questions.

          > Best regards,
          >
          > David
          > **************Play online games for FREE at Games.com! All of your
          favorites,
          > no registration required and great graphics â€" check it out!

          > http://www.games.com?ncid=emlcntusgame00000001)

        • Ron Matviyak
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 30, 2008
            Max, do you have a photo or scan of the page you can post under
            'files' for the forum to look at? With the wide variety of talented
            and experienced people here, you stand a pretty fair chance of getting
            some good guesses - along with a few wild ones as well!

            Ron
            PS If you dig through enough books and publications, there are
            references that state what parts of the Germanic countries supplied
            immigrants at what time in history. You might track some
            Karpatendeutsch writings or web pages to get more background.

          • treimer@nycap.rr.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 31, 2008
              Max,

              Remember that people from the Zips also worked in other places. Many Lutheran ministers worked in the Banat, for example, and craftsmen a bit everywhere. My greatgreatgrandfather from Eisdorf (Zakovce now) in 1846 worked from 1845 to 1848 as stonecutter in Elberfeld on the Rhine, and then came back to get married and take over the family farm.

              Good luck,

              Thomas

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
                THanks THomas!

                I think that my GGF settled down in Hrusov. Because he lists it as
                his last place of residence on the Ellis Island records. I have made
                some interesting discoveries reading these records of my GGF and G
                uncle, who traveled together. THe Great uncle lists ?, Schlesen,
                germany as where his nearest relative is from. Once I determined that
                his nearest relative was in Silesia (Schlesen), I looked at my GGF
                record again and compared all the names in 1900 Silesia against all
                the possible interpretations of the words in GGF nearest relative.
                Low and behold Ratibor (german name for current polish Racibórz) seems
                to be the word! GGS fecord says ?, Ratibor, germany. Now I have to
                look at all the cities in Ratibor county to try n find something that
                matches the city. I got confirmation of this when I read a german
                article detailing the derivation of the Kampczyk name. It appears
                that the lions share of them are in upper Silesia per the polish phone
                book. The remainder are in Germany and are probably ones that were
                caught up in the 1945 deportation of German speakers from Poland.

                THis is fun,

                Max