Re: records question

  • Ludovit
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 26, 2008
      Margo,

      Thank you for sharing the references. I have two FHL film numbers for
      Nitra county. This morning I will try to use some maps to verify the
      location of Bojnice. A recent find in a document I have has led me to
      Gomor county aswell (I'm real slow with the latin). However I have
      received another tip from a distant relative overseas regarding Arcanum.
      A list of books that might help someone else, so I'll share that.
      You can view the covers of these books and a description in Hungarian at
      Arcanum's website:
      http://www.arcanum.hu/kiadvanyok/csaladtortenet_heraldika/kiadv_csalad.h\
      tml
      <http://www.arcanum.hu/kiadvanyok/csaladtortenet_heraldika/kiadv_csalad.\
      html> Turul 1883-1950 A Magyar Heraldikai és Genealógiai
      Társaság Közlönye Parts 1,2,3 ISBN 963 9374 92X Magyar
      Nemes Családok - by Kempelen Béla ISBN 963 9374 1 6
      Magyarország családai - by Nagy Iván (coats of arms, family
      trees, etc) ISBN 963 85923 9 7 Siebmacher's Wappenbuch ISBN 963 9374
      38 5 Felvidéki nemes családok - by Szluha Márton (details
      noble families of upper Hungary/Slovakia) This is a new publication
      (March '07) ISBN 978 963 7374 52 4 Ludovit

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Margo Smith <margolane61@...>
      wrote:

      > Ludovit --
      >
      > Have you checked the tax lists for 1715 and 1720 for the area around
      Bojnice? I would guess that is Nitra County. Both lists are available
      on microfilm from LDS, and 1715 is available online at arcanum. The
      1720 list includes both the taxables and the feudal lord to whom the
      taxable is obligated. The lists for some of the counties, e.g. Turiec
      which is adjacent to Nitra, have a column on the tax list for vineyards.

      > Have you consulted Richard Marsina and Michal Kusik, Urbare Feudalnych
      Pastiev na Slovensku, 2 vol., Bratislava: Slovenskej Akademie Vied,
      1959? This has an assortment of data on taxpayers, property owners,
      etc. for the 16th and 17th centuries. Data varies by location and date.

      > While none of these have data on arrivals and departures, if a family
      appears on one of the lists, they were there at that time and you will
      know then to look for their arrival earlier.

      > Good luck in your search.
      >
      > Margo

      Modern
      > Yugoslavia/Serbia 1790's (Gasper/Casper- ucitel) until about 1913 when
      > my gggrandpa came over. You can see actually see where my folks
      > worshiped, got married and christened their children in wiki by
      > searching Pivnice. That church had my family's records from day one to
      > when they came to US. Enough for now.
      >
      > Ludovit

    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 26, 2008
        Ahoj,

        Bojnice is a tourist spot if there ever was one, with a fairytale castle and really nice surroundings.  I don't you will have a problem finding it in Slovakia, Trencin County.

        Here is a map to verify its location.... kinda. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bojnice
        It also has some- but hardly all- info for that town...

        Ben

        wrote:

        > Ludovit --
        >
        > Have you checked the tax lists for 1715 and 1720 for the area around
        Bojnice? I would guess that is Nitra County. Both lists are available
        on microfilm from LDS, and 1715 is available online at arcanum. The
        1720 list includes both the taxables and the feudal lord to whom the
        taxable is obligated. The lists for some of the counties, e.g. Turiec
        which is adjacent to Nitra, have a column on the tax list for vineyards.

        > Have you consulted Richard Marsina and Michal Kusik, Urbare Feudalnych
        Pastiev na Slovensku, 2 vol., Bratislava: Slovenskej Akademie Vied,
        1959? This has an assortment of data on taxpayers, property owners,
        etc. for the 16th and 17th centuries. Data varies by location and date.

        > While none of these have data on arrivals and departures, if a family
        appears on one of the lists, they were there at that time and you will
        know then to look for their arrival earlier.

        > Good luck in your search.
        >
        > Margo

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 26, 2008
          Hi Everyone -

             The annual Slovak Festival at the University of Pittsburgh next Sunday has scheduled five outstanding prensentations; continuous folk performances, many vendors and exhibitors and super ethnic food and it is FREE.

          Sun Nov 2 at the University of Pittsburgh's Cathedral of Learning 12 noon - 5 pm

             On Sat Nov 1 we are having a Slovak Party beginning at 4 pm - if you would like more info e mail Helene - everyone is invited!

             Would love to see you at either or both events! Glad to e mail you the program schedule.

          Questions? e mail me directly at helenezx@...

          helene

        • Ben Sorensen
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 26, 2008
            I can second this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            I will see you all there...
            Ben
            PS- I will see you at the party too...
               The annual Slovak Festival at the University of Pittsburgh next Sunday has scheduled  five outstanding prensentations; continuous folk performances, many vendors and exhibitors and super ethnic food and it is FREE.

            Sun Nov 2 at the University of Pittsburgh's Cathedral of Learning 12 noon - 5 pm

               On Sat Nov 1 we are having a Slovak Party beginning at 4 pm - if you would like more info e mail Helene - everyone is invited!

               Would love to see you at either or both events! Glad to e mail you the program schedule.

            Questions? e mail me directly at helenezx@aol. com

            helene

          • Julie Michutka
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 14, 2010
              Apologies for the cross-posting, for those of you on both S-R and S-W.

              I'm writing the citations for some baptismal and confirmation records
              from Slovak parish registers, which entails citing the original
              register as well as the LDS microfilm number. On the labels of many
              of the register covers, it gives the name of the town/parish, the
              records ranges within (baptism + years covered, marriages + years
              covered, etc), and in each of the bottom corners are abbreviations
              that I don't know: I.c~. + number in one corner, and kr. + number in
              the other (eg I.c~. 384 and kr. 122). I assume c~. is c~islo; what is
              the I. ? kr. is not likely krstny, as the volumes have other records
              than baptisms. (I. is capital i, not lower case L.)

              Anyone know?

              Thanks!

              Julie Michutka
              jmm@...