RE: [S-R] Could someone help with translation?

  • Dorothy L Fitts
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
      I so appreciate your help. I am language challenged. A smattering of Slovak
      from a very beginners CD and some German that I studied too long ago and
      English is about it. But I am going to keep working on the Slovak! You can
      always teach and old horse new tricks If they try hard enough!
      Dorothy

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
        Dorothy,
        With that attitude you should be able to accomplish what you want.
        I happened to use an online Hungarian dictionary to try to translate Nagykaposjaras. It was not able to tell me jaras was district. I discovered that along with the list of the districts else where. The interesting part is how you would translate Nagykapos. If nagy is big, grand and such variations and kapos is in demand, then Nagykapos would translate into something like Greatly In Demand, an interesting name for a town and district.
        On my trip in June I took a drive through what was Nagykaposjaras. I could see why it is an area that could be "greatly in demand". This is an area where a number of rivers meet and there is a vast area of wet lands and manmade canals. Very much like the Sacramento / San Joaquin Delta I grew up in in California. The result is a ready supply of water and very rich soil. It could be that this is Slovakia best farm land. That alone would make it "greatly in demand".

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 17, 2008
          Hey,

          Are some of you aware there are a lot of frww translation services on the web
          All you do is cut and paste. My favorite is google.