RE: [S-R] Re: Could someone help with translation?

  • Dorothy L Fitts
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
      Okay does that mean that Nagykapos is the seat of government for that area
      and what does jaras translate to? Would it be similar to a township or
      parish in the US? I am trying to grasp concepts when I can not read the
      language.
      Thank you,

      Dorothy
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
        Dorothy,
        From the list below you will have a better understanding of the labels on the map. As you can see the word JARAS means district, the name of the districts come next, and then the city that was the capital of the district beside it. After that is where and what the capital is called now. The word NAGY means big, large etc. I could not get a translation of KAPOSI. The closest KAPOS mean in demand.
        Districts (járás)
        District Capital
        Nagyberezna Nagyberezna, UA Veliky Berezny
        Nagykapos Nagykapos, SK Velké Kapusany
        Perecseny Perecseny, UA Perechyn
        Szerednye Szerednye, UA Serednye
        Szobránc Szobránc, SK Sobrance
        Ungvár Ungvár, UA Uzhhorod

        Urban districts (rendezett tanácsú város) Ungvár, UA Uzhhorod

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
          I so appreciate your help. I am language challenged. A smattering of Slovak
          from a very beginners CD and some German that I studied too long ago and
          English is about it. But I am going to keep working on the Slovak! You can
          always teach and old horse new tricks If they try hard enough!
          Dorothy

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
            Dorothy,
            With that attitude you should be able to accomplish what you want.
            I happened to use an online Hungarian dictionary to try to translate Nagykaposjaras. It was not able to tell me jaras was district. I discovered that along with the list of the districts else where. The interesting part is how you would translate Nagykapos. If nagy is big, grand and such variations and kapos is in demand, then Nagykapos would translate into something like Greatly In Demand, an interesting name for a town and district.
            On my trip in June I took a drive through what was Nagykaposjaras. I could see why it is an area that could be "greatly in demand". This is an area where a number of rivers meet and there is a vast area of wet lands and manmade canals. Very much like the Sacramento / San Joaquin Delta I grew up in in California. The result is a ready supply of water and very rich soil. It could be that this is Slovakia best farm land. That alone would make it "greatly in demand".

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 17, 2008
              Hey,

              Are some of you aware there are a lot of frww translation services on the web
              All you do is cut and paste. My favorite is google.