Re: Could someone help with translation?

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
      >>> 1910 map of Hungary and i find a section of the map labeled as Nagy
      kaposi ja'ra's. <<<

      Yes, it's the green map area around the town Nagykapos.
    • Dorothy L Fitts
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
        Okay does that mean that Nagykapos is the seat of government for that area
        and what does jaras translate to? Would it be similar to a township or
        parish in the US? I am trying to grasp concepts when I can not read the
        language.
        Thank you,

        Dorothy
        >>> 1910 map of Hungary and i find a section of the map labeled as Nagy
        kaposi ja'ra's. <<<

        Yes, it's the green map area around the town Nagykapos.

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
          Dorothy,
          From the list below you will have a better understanding of the labels on the map. As you can see the word JARAS means district, the name of the districts come next, and then the city that was the capital of the district beside it. After that is where and what the capital is called now. The word NAGY means big, large etc. I could not get a translation of KAPOSI. The closest KAPOS mean in demand.
          Districts (járás)
          District Capital
          Nagyberezna Nagyberezna, UA Veliky Berezny
          Nagykapos Nagykapos, SK Velké Kapusany
          Perecseny Perecseny, UA Perechyn
          Szerednye Szerednye, UA Serednye
          Szobránc Szobránc, SK Sobrance
          Ungvár Ungvár, UA Uzhhorod

          Urban districts (rendezett tanácsú város) Ungvár, UA Uzhhorod

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
            I so appreciate your help. I am language challenged. A smattering of Slovak
            from a very beginners CD and some German that I studied too long ago and
            English is about it. But I am going to keep working on the Slovak! You can
            always teach and old horse new tricks If they try hard enough!
            Dorothy

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
              Dorothy,
              With that attitude you should be able to accomplish what you want.
              I happened to use an online Hungarian dictionary to try to translate Nagykaposjaras. It was not able to tell me jaras was district. I discovered that along with the list of the districts else where. The interesting part is how you would translate Nagykapos. If nagy is big, grand and such variations and kapos is in demand, then Nagykapos would translate into something like Greatly In Demand, an interesting name for a town and district.
              On my trip in June I took a drive through what was Nagykaposjaras. I could see why it is an area that could be "greatly in demand". This is an area where a number of rivers meet and there is a vast area of wet lands and manmade canals. Very much like the Sacramento / San Joaquin Delta I grew up in in California. The result is a ready supply of water and very rich soil. It could be that this is Slovakia best farm land. That alone would make it "greatly in demand".

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 17, 2008
                Hey,

                Are some of you aware there are a lot of frww translation services on the web
                All you do is cut and paste. My favorite is google.