Re: [S-R] Re: Fuzzy Gazetteer

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 9, 2008
      Gary,
      The Fuzzy Gazetteer website seems to be down. I tried going to it several ways and could not get it to come up. Hopefully, it will be coming back online.
      The Fuzzy Gazetteer was a search engine for places. Since the spelling of a place may not be known exactly the website used "fuzzy logic" to come up with a list of names that were similar to the one put into the search form. It also allowed you to narrow the search down to a particular country. When the search was displayed it gave a word or two telling you if the item was a town, river, mountain, etc. It is a very useful website when you are trying to locate a place.
      What are you trying to find? The S-R membership may be able to help.
      Michael Mojher

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 9, 2008
        It has moved. Try this:
        http://tinyurl.com/4svmtn

        "FuzzyG (or Fuzzy Gazetteer) searches for place names world-wide and can
        handle variations in spelling, thereby making the searches more robust."

        FuzzyG is a service of the Joint Research Centre of the European
        Commission.

        Regards,
        Bill

        On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 17:29:12 -0700, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 2008
          Bill,

          Thank you for locating the Fuzzy Gazetteer.

          Jim