Re: Fuzzy Gazetteer

  • Gary Gaba
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 9, 2008
      Hi All,

      A) I can't get the link to work - I get "Internal Server Error" when I
      click on it.

      B) What exactly is the Fuzzy Gazetteer??

      Have a good one,

      Gary

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 9, 2008
        Gary,
        The Fuzzy Gazetteer website seems to be down. I tried going to it several ways and could not get it to come up. Hopefully, it will be coming back online.
        The Fuzzy Gazetteer was a search engine for places. Since the spelling of a place may not be known exactly the website used "fuzzy logic" to come up with a list of names that were similar to the one put into the search form. It also allowed you to narrow the search down to a particular country. When the search was displayed it gave a word or two telling you if the item was a town, river, mountain, etc. It is a very useful website when you are trying to locate a place.
        What are you trying to find? The S-R membership may be able to help.
        Michael Mojher

      • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 9, 2008
          It has moved. Try this:
          http://tinyurl.com/4svmtn

          "FuzzyG (or Fuzzy Gazetteer) searches for place names world-wide and can
          handle variations in spelling, thereby making the searches more robust."

          FuzzyG is a service of the Joint Research Centre of the European
          Commission.

          Regards,
          Bill

          On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 17:29:12 -0700, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11, 2008
            Bill,

            Thank you for locating the Fuzzy Gazetteer.

            Jim