Re: [S-R] Fuzzy Gazetteer

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2008
      http://tomcat-dmaweb1.jrc.it/fuzzyg/query/

      From: blackies1999
      Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 2:22 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [S-R] Fuzzy Gazetteer

      I can't seem to locate the Fuzzy Gazetteer. Would someone please reply
      with the correct web site address? Thank you.

      Jim

    • Gary Gaba
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 9, 2008
        Hi All,

        A) I can't get the link to work - I get "Internal Server Error" when I
        click on it.

        B) What exactly is the Fuzzy Gazetteer??

        Have a good one,

        Gary

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 9, 2008
          Gary,
          The Fuzzy Gazetteer website seems to be down. I tried going to it several ways and could not get it to come up. Hopefully, it will be coming back online.
          The Fuzzy Gazetteer was a search engine for places. Since the spelling of a place may not be known exactly the website used "fuzzy logic" to come up with a list of names that were similar to the one put into the search form. It also allowed you to narrow the search down to a particular country. When the search was displayed it gave a word or two telling you if the item was a town, river, mountain, etc. It is a very useful website when you are trying to locate a place.
          What are you trying to find? The S-R membership may be able to help.
          Michael Mojher

        • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 9, 2008
            It has moved. Try this:
            http://tinyurl.com/4svmtn

            "FuzzyG (or Fuzzy Gazetteer) searches for place names world-wide and can
            handle variations in spelling, thereby making the searches more robust."

            FuzzyG is a service of the Joint Research Centre of the European
            Commission.

            Regards,
            Bill

            On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 17:29:12 -0700, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>
            > I can't seem to locate the Fuzzy Gazetteer. Would someone please reply
            > with the correct web site address? Thank you.
            >
            > Jim

          • blackies1999
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 11, 2008
              Bill,

              Thank you for locating the Fuzzy Gazetteer.

              Jim