Fuzzy Gazetteer

  • blackies1999
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2008
      I can't seem to locate the Fuzzy Gazetteer. Would someone please reply
      with the correct web site address? Thank you.

      Jim
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2008
        http://tomcat-dmaweb1.jrc.it/fuzzyg/query/

        I can't seem to locate the Fuzzy Gazetteer. Would someone please reply
        with the correct web site address? Thank you.

        Jim

      • Gary Gaba
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 9, 2008
          Hi All,

          A) I can't get the link to work - I get "Internal Server Error" when I
          click on it.

          B) What exactly is the Fuzzy Gazetteer??

          Have a good one,

          Gary

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 9, 2008
            Gary,
            The Fuzzy Gazetteer website seems to be down. I tried going to it several ways and could not get it to come up. Hopefully, it will be coming back online.
            The Fuzzy Gazetteer was a search engine for places. Since the spelling of a place may not be known exactly the website used "fuzzy logic" to come up with a list of names that were similar to the one put into the search form. It also allowed you to narrow the search down to a particular country. When the search was displayed it gave a word or two telling you if the item was a town, river, mountain, etc. It is a very useful website when you are trying to locate a place.
            What are you trying to find? The S-R membership may be able to help.
            Michael Mojher

          • bill.tarkulich@iabsi.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 9, 2008
              It has moved. Try this:
              http://tinyurl.com/4svmtn

              "FuzzyG (or Fuzzy Gazetteer) searches for place names world-wide and can
              handle variations in spelling, thereby making the searches more robust."

              FuzzyG is a service of the Joint Research Centre of the European
              Commission.

              Regards,
              Bill

              On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 17:29:12 -0700, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>
              > I can't seem to locate the Fuzzy Gazetteer. Would someone please reply
              > with the correct web site address? Thank you.
              >
              > Jim

            • blackies1999
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 11, 2008
                Bill,

                Thank you for locating the Fuzzy Gazetteer.

                Jim