family registers and status animarum

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008
      OK, I'm going to show my ignorance here: what is the "status
      animarum"? Not the translation, but the records... what info do they
      provide?

      I've run across at least one village where the priest kept a register
      of households at the end of the parish records, one or two pages per
      address, anywhere from 2 to 4 generations in any given household. My
      impression was that he would double-enter any b, m, d-- once in the
      appropriate register, and then again in the pertinent household. I
      was doing a genealogy for a friend from that village, and wow, the
      household registers were so helpful! But it doesn't seem to have been
      standard practice, at least not in church records. Vlad Bohinc might
      be able to tell you more.

      In the German situation, were the family and house registers kept by
      the church, civil authorities, or other (literate local busy-bodies,
      maybe)?

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...

      On Oct 8, 2008, at 8:24 AM, Ben Sorensen wrote:

      > I have a question for you all here though. In Germany (the Second
      > Empire), there were some areas that kept both Family Registers and
      > House Registers (a list of people who owned/lived in certain houses
      > over the years). Do we have such a practise at the same time in
      > Slovakia that we have found? These and the "Status animarum" from
      > Catholic parishes do not get much "air play" here, but they could
      > (IF they exist) really help with the genealogy.
    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008
        Hello,
        A status animarum was a census that Pope Paul V decreed must be kept- but it is imperfect at best. It gives you names of people in good standing in the parish, and usually in family groups, but hardly ever any event dates. The same Pope was the one who decreed that all parishes keep family registers.

        The household register covers about 30% of the German population during the Second Empire-and maybe even less today as so much is lost. It was kept by either Parish or Civil officials... sometimes both. But, the German examples I have seen sometimes list the help too- though not often. :-) I am sure where you see where I think a breakthrough may be for someone- IF they exist also in Slovakia (why wouldn't they? then again, why would they?) What you found in that village is a wonderful thing, and I just never see it discussed here. :-P That is why I am asking....
        Ben

        jmm@pathbridge. net

        On Oct 8, 2008, at 8:24 AM, Ben Sorensen wrote:

        > I have a question for you all here though. In Germany (the Second
        > Empire), there were some areas that kept both Family Registers and
        > House Registers (a list of people who owned/lived in certain houses
        > over the years). Do we have such a practise at the same time in
        > Slovakia that we have found? These and the "Status animarum" from
        > Catholic parishes do not get much "air play" here, but they could
        > (IF they exist) really help with the genealogy.

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008
          Here is the link to the Hungarian Archives where you can read more than I present below. www.mol.gov.hu/index

          I highlighted two things in red. A Status Animarum was taken in Hungary. The other, "with the exception of the northern counties" seems to indicate that the counties that are now in Slovakia were not registered in of the five types of registers with the implementation of Rituale Romanum in 1625. From personal experience with my own genealogy records I have found registrations in the Plavnica, Saros County records going back to the 1600's. So, I am not sure just which "northern counties" were left out.

          "It was Pope Pius IV who, as a result of the deliberations of the Council of Trent, ordered the introduction of regular registration in 1563. In Hungary, in the case of the Roman Catholic Church the Council of Nagyszombat ordered the introduction and maintenance of parish registers at the beginning of the Counter-Reformation in 1611, though sparse registrations occurred at some places before that time, too. A great change occurred in 1625, when Archbishop of Esztergom Péter Pázmány rendered obligatory the Rituale Romanum, issued by Pope Paul VS., in the whole country. The Rituale Romanum introduced five types of registers: registers of christening, marriage, death, confirmation and the so-called Status Animarum recording the census of the population according to the households and families at the time of the Easter Holy Communion. In the 17th century the Rituale Romanum was published in three more editions: in 1656, 1672 and 1692. Although from the 1630's the correct making up and the keeping of parish registers were regularly supervised on the occasions of canonical visitations (Visitationes Canonicae), the continuous and general registering could start in Great Hungary - with the exception of the northern counties - only after driving out the Turks. In 1822 the ecclesiastical authorities enforced the making of alphabetical name lists which eased researching to a great extent. The Act 23 of 1827 ordered the keeping of parish registers in two copies, mainly for security reasons. Duplicate copies are stored in the competent local archives, with the exclusion of copies from the central diocese of Kalocsa-Kecskemét. Those duplicates are kept in the Archiepiscopal Archives of Kalocsa-Kecskemét. Besides, parish registers are stored in the Archives of the Evangelical Congregation of Szarvas, the Baptist Archives of Budapest and the Archives of the Orthodox Diocese of Buda set up in Szentendre, as well. Regarding Protestant churches, the full powers to keep registers was granted by Emperor Joseph Habsburg II in 1785. However, at some special localities (loca articularia), registration had begun much earlier. In Hungary, the regular and compulsory registration of Israelite population was introduced as late as the Bach Era (July 1851), but in that case, too, there were places where registration had begun long before that date."
          Michael Mojher