re: Tokay wines

  • Cathie McAdams
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2008
      If you are near Cleveland, there are several good/great resources for Tokaj wine and Egri Bilaver.

      At Shaker Square, there is a wine store in the southeast corner of the square.  I do not know the name of it but the selection of wines from around the world is very good.

      There is a Russian/Ukrainian gorcery store near Eastgate Plaza in Mayfield Hts.  My husband bought some Tokaj there last week.  It was a variety I had only seen in a Hungarian restaurant.

      Reider's Market in Concord has an excellent wine section for a grocery store.  Of course, it is an upscale store which could explain it.  The wine manager is more than willing to order whatever you want.

      There is a wine store in Mentor and on occasion you can get the Egri Bilaver but not Tokaj.  They don't even know where Slovakia is.

      I have had the Hungarian Tokaj and the Slovak Tokaj and very much prefer the Slovak version.