Re: [S-R] Wines from Slovakia and Hungary

  • Tom Geiss
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7, 2008
      Yes, Janet, and Helene, a truly beutiful enumeration from both of you, that
      should make all in Pittsburg, as they listen to Ben play the Fujara,
      appreciate the blood, sweat, labor, and dedication that go into the making
      of what we enjoy so seldom.
      Reminds me also of reading the memoirs of Cardinal Korec, where he
      speaks of having to spend long hours grinding pieces of crystal for
      chandeliers, til his fingers bled, when in captivity as a priest, under the
      And of course, there is much history too, surrounding the Fujara, which
      long ago the sheperds would play to help their sheep graze more peacefully.
      From: Janet Kozlay <kozlay@...>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, October 7, 2008, 9:59 AM

      I doubt if you would want any wines produced during the Communist era
      anyway, even if they were available. The Communists wanted high quantity to
      export to the Soviets and the quality deteriorated accordingly. The vines
      that produced the best wines were eliminated because they required more
      labor; they also stopped growing on the hillsides, where the best grapes
      grew, because it was easier to harvest them mechanically on flat land.

      Since independence, the area has attracted foreign investments (many from
      France) which have helped to restore the wines to their former quality and
      glory. Although the very expensive Tokaj wine has been emphasized here,
      there are other areas in both Slovakia and Hungary that produce some very
      fine wines, many of them selling at reasonable prices. The only question is
      what we are able to get here in the U.S. If you are able to order wine
      through the Internet, you will obviously have a greater variety to choose
      from than if you are dependent on your local suppliers. Unfortunately that
      is not an option for us in Maryland.

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 7, 2008
        I went to Slovakia for the month of July.
        There is no Slovak Tokaj wine sold in the USA. Only Hungarian Tokaji wine can be found here. Even it is hard to find. It depends on where you live. The best thing to do is find out what the best wine shop is in your area. If they do not have Tokaji wine ask them to see if they can order some for you. They should be able to give you a price and may even ask you to pay for it or make a down payment before they order. The cost can have a wide range, I would guess between $20 and $40 a bottle.