RE: [S-R] Hungarian/Slovak Party - Tokaji Aszu

  • Dr. Joe Q
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
      I believe that the putna has to do with the amount of older Tokay that is put in with the newly fermenting grapes. So the more barrels, the sweeter the wine and the more it costs because it uses already produced wine.

      The bottle I have, it is to be opened in a few weeks on the 95 birthday of my father!

      Dr. "Q

      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
        Dr. Joe Q,
        Here are some paragraphs from the making of Tokaj wine from the Slovak Spectator article.
        "When the right amount of noble rot pierces a grape's skin, the rot saps the grape's moisture without rotting its juices.

        The shriveled grape that results (cibebas in Slovak, Aszú in Hungarian) has an immense concentration of flavor. It's the key ingredient in Tokaj. But conditions are not always right for cibebas, which is why Tokaj wine is not produced every year. Even when conditions are right, noble rot strikes only certain grape bunches - in some cases only certain grapes. That means cibebas must be handpicked, which drives up prices.

        When noble rot has done its job, the cibebas are crushed and added to freshly fermented wine made from undamaged (or unimproved) grapes. The mixture macerates for 24 to 48 hours, and is pressed, filtered, and placed into wood barrels stored in cellars for aging.

        The cellars are Tokaj's final oddity. Dug into the side of hills starting in the 17th century (supposedly to hide aging wine from marauding Turks), they are ripe grounds for another kind of fungus. A thick black mold that grows on the walls seeps into the barrels and contributes to the wild and wonderful taste of Tokaj.