Re: [S-R] Tokay/Tokaji wines

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
      >>> (Might have to bring a little to Pittsburgh and share, I'm not much
      of a wine drinker myself.)<<<

      I was looking for a reason to go to PIT, aside from Helene's party.
      Your Tokay might just do it!

      We spent a couple of hours in a Slovak Tokay cave with the winemaker
      just one year ago.

      BTW, we have about 175 wines in the cellar.
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008

        too bad those aren't 175 beers, I'd make a trip to see YOU.

        Caye

        >>> (Might have to bring a little to Pittsburgh and share, I'm not much
        of a wine drinker myself.)<<<

        I was looking for a reason to go to PIT, aside from Helene's party.
        Your Tokay might just do it!

        We spent a couple of hours in a Slovak Tokay cave with the winemaker
        just one year ago.

        BTW, we have about 175 wines in the cellar.

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
          I am very fortunate that I have a cousin who is the Dekan of the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Trebisov. He oversees churches in 125 surrounding villages. In the five years he has been in Trebisov he has gotten to know all of the winemakers in the Slovakia Tokaj wine region. My great pleasure is when he invites me to go pay a visit to one. It is a special occasion when you get to sit with the winemaker and have a private tasting.
          Slovak Spectator's travel issues each year seem to have some article on Tokaj wines (Hungary spells it Tokaji). Here are links to a few.
          From Slovak Spectator, Visit to a Tokaj Winery - http://travel.spectator.sk/articles/292/ , A Tale of Two Tokaj Wineries - http://travel.spectator.sk/articles/1067/a_tale_of_two_tokaj_wineries,
          How Tokaj Is Made - http://travel.spectator.sk/articles/1066/how_tokaj_is_made, Slovak Grape Varieties - http://travel.spectator.sk/articles/1061/slovak_grape_varieties, How to Read a Slovak Wine Label - http://travel.spectator.sk/articles/1063/how_to_read_a_slovak_wine_label
          Michael Mojher

          too bad those aren't 175 beers, I'd make a trip to see YOU.

          Caye

          >>> (Might have to bring a little to Pittsburgh and share, I'm not much
          of a wine drinker myself.)<<<

          I was looking for a reason to go to PIT, aside from Helene's party.
          Your Tokay might just do it!

          We spent a couple of hours in a Slovak Tokay cave with the winemaker
          just one year ago.

          BTW, we have about 175 wines in the cellar.

        • PAULA BYRD
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
            Caye,

            I'm with you, I'd take a beer any day befroe the wine.

            Paula

            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comFrom: ccaswick@...: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 07:30:45 -0700Subject: Re: [S-R] Tokay/Tokaji wines

            too bad those aren't 175 beers, I'd make a trip to see YOU. Caye --- On Mon, 10/6/08, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:From: johnqadam <johnqadam@...>Subject: Re: [S-R] Tokay/Tokaji winesTo: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comDate: Monday, October 6, 2008, 9:23 AM>>> (Might have to bring a little to Pittsburgh and share, I'm not much of a wine drinker myself.)<<<I was looking for a reason to go to PIT, aside from Helene's party. Your Tokay might just do it!We spent a couple of hours in a Slovak Tokay cave with the winemaker just one year ago.BTW, we have about 175 wines in the cellar.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

          • Dr. Joe Q
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
              I believe that the putna has to do with the amount of older Tokay that is put in with the newly fermenting grapes. So the more barrels, the sweeter the wine and the more it costs because it uses already produced wine.

              The bottle I have, it is to be opened in a few weeks on the 95 birthday of my father!

              Dr. "Q

              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
                Dr. Joe Q,
                Here are some paragraphs from the making of Tokaj wine from the Slovak Spectator article.
                "When the right amount of noble rot pierces a grape's skin, the rot saps the grape's moisture without rotting its juices.

                The shriveled grape that results (cibebas in Slovak, Aszú in Hungarian) has an immense concentration of flavor. It's the key ingredient in Tokaj. But conditions are not always right for cibebas, which is why Tokaj wine is not produced every year. Even when conditions are right, noble rot strikes only certain grape bunches - in some cases only certain grapes. That means cibebas must be handpicked, which drives up prices.

                When noble rot has done its job, the cibebas are crushed and added to freshly fermented wine made from undamaged (or unimproved) grapes. The mixture macerates for 24 to 48 hours, and is pressed, filtered, and placed into wood barrels stored in cellars for aging.

                The cellars are Tokaj's final oddity. Dug into the side of hills starting in the 17th century (supposedly to hide aging wine from marauding Turks), they are ripe grounds for another kind of fungus. A thick black mold that grows on the walls seeps into the barrels and contributes to the wild and wonderful taste of Tokaj.