Re: [S-R] Hungarian/Slovak Party

  • John Hrusovszky
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
      My father who was born and raised in Budapest talks about a wine named
      "Bull's Blood". We found a bottle
      while visiting a Hungarian restaurant in Phoenix. I believe it was a
      full-bodied red.

      On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Diana Boggs <ssmudsville@...> wrote:

      > What sorts of wine & cheese is appropriate fo a Hungarian/Slovak party?
      > Diana

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
        How about Tokaj wine - there are 17 kinds and then the rare Azu.
        It comes from southeastern Slovakia and northeastern Hungary.

        helene

        What sorts of wine & cheese is appropriate fo a Hungarian/Slovak party?
        Diana

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
          Helene,
          Here is a link to the 100 best Slovak wines of 2007. http://www.nsvsr.sk/index.php?nsv=9
          The impossible task is trying to find the wines in the United States. There is an online Slovak wine shop - http://www.wineshop.sk/t-shopping.aspx , the time and cost of shipping may be more than one would want to invest.
          Michael Mojher

          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
            Bull’s Blood is also called Egri Bikaver, which literally means bull’s blood
            from Eger. It is very inexpensive and is not difficult to find. On the other
            end of the scale is the Tokaji Aszú, a quite expensive dessert wine. It is
            those many wines in the middle that are hard to get, though you are
            beginning to see them more now.

            Ask your nearest large wine/liquor store what they carry and if they can
            special order any. There is a very pleasant Pinot Grigio from Monarchia
            Cellars, under $10, and you may find others available.

            Hungarian and Slovak wines, known for centuries as Europe’s finest and just
            now surfacing again after the disaster of the Communist era, are definitely
            undermarketed in this country.

            As for cheeses, try to include a sheep’s cheese in your selection.

            Here’s to your success.

            Janet

            _____

            <mailto:ssmudsville%40yahoo.com> yahoo.com> wrote:

            > What sorts of wine & cheese is appropriate fo a Hungarian/Slovak party?
            > Diana

          • Dr. Joe Q
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
              Tokaj is also made in a very small area of Slovakia, most of it comes from Hungary. It is expensive relative to other wines. It comes in small bottles of about 500 mL. I have a 1993 Tokaji Aszueszecia that I bought in Budapest in 2001 for about 25,000 forint, at that time the exchange was about 300 HUF / USD so that was around $80!

              The Tokaji from Hungary also carry a classification of "punt" which relates to the quality and implies the number baskets of grapes used to make it. I have the seen the numbers run from 1 to 5, but there may b higher classifiactions. The higher the number, the better the wine.

              Tokaj is sweet like sauternes and is intended to be drunk in small glasses like those used for sherry or port.

              Dr. "Q"

              > How about Tokaj wine - there are 17 kinds and then the rare
              > Azu.
              > It comes from southeastern Slovakia and northeastern
              > Hungary.
              >
              > helene
              >
              > --- On Sun, 10/5/08, Diana Boggs
              > <ssmudsville@...> wrote:
              >
              > From: Diana Boggs <ssmudsville@...>
              > Subject: [S-R] Hungarian/Slovak Party
              > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
              > Date: Sunday, October 5, 2008, 9:36 AM
              >

              > What sorts of wine & cheese is appropriate fo a
              > Hungarian/Slovak party?
              > Diana
            • Janet Kozlay
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
                The Tokaji aszú wine actually only goes from 3 to 6 “putt” (puttonyos =
                barrels), the higher the number being the sweeter. However, when you can
                find it in the U.S. it is nearly all 5. The last time I checked, even the 5
                putt was $80.00 here. The 6 putt and the Eszencia, which is even sweeter,
                are extremely difficult to find here . . . maybe in New York.

                This wine has been famous for centuries. King Louis XIV called it “the king
                of wines and the wine of kings.” Its distinctive flavor is caused by a
                fungus that attacks the ripened grapes. It is so expensive because of the
                way it is produced—the vines are permitted to grow only a small number of
                grape clusters and the grapes are harvested one grape at a time.

                Dr. Joe, I hope you open that bottle at a very important and festive
                occasion. Eszencia has been described as “liquid gold.”

                Janet

                _____

                --- On Sun, 10/5/08, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@yahoo.
                <mailto:helenezx%40yahoo.com> com> wrote:

                > From: helene cincebeaux <helenezx@yahoo. <mailto:helenezx%40yahoo.com>
                com>
                > Subject: Re: [S-R] Hungarian/Slovak Party
                > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                > Date: Sunday, October 5, 2008, 12:02 PM
                > How about Tokaj wine - there are 17 kinds and then the rare
                > Azu.
                > It comes from southeastern Slovakia and northeastern
                > Hungary.
                >
                > helene
                >
                > --- On Sun, 10/5/08, Diana Boggs
                > <ssmudsville@ <mailto:ssmudsville%40yahoo.com> yahoo.com> wrote:
                >
                > From: Diana Boggs <ssmudsville@ <mailto:ssmudsville%40yahoo.com>
                yahoo.com>
                > Subject: [S-R] Hungarian/Slovak Party
                > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                > Date: Sunday, October 5, 2008, 9:36 AM
                >

                > What sorts of wine & cheese is appropriate fo a
                > Hungarian/Slovak party?
                > Diana

              • Michael Mojher
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
                  On my last four trips to Slovakia I have always made a trip to the Tokaj wine region. A cousin had arranged a private tasting and tour at Zlaty Strapec winery in Vinicky on the first trip. There are 6 levels of sweetness for the Tokaj wine. Because of a conflict with the Hungarian Tokaj wineries the EU prevented Slovakia from making the number 2 Tokaj. That ruling has been rescinded and they can do so once again. I found this out during my trip in July. I also found out that they did not stop making the number 2, they just did not market it. The wineries gave it a new name and sold it at the wineries.
                  Dr. Joe in his e-mail state, "The higher the number, the better the wine." This is not necessarily so. The more puttony used, the sweeter the wine. Each Tokaj and its level of sweetness has a culinary usefulness. In which case 'better' is a relative term. I found all six of the Tokaj wines very good. The only thing that went up with number was its cost.
                  Living in California and working as a pastry chef in a restaurant allows me access to wine purveyors. I purchased for a pre-trip party some Tokaj wine and a bottle Eszencia. They were all Hungarian made. The half liter number 5 Tokaj was wholesale for around $25. The 250 ml / one-quarter liter bottle of Eszencia was $125. Or $375 a bottle, wholesale. After Mr. Nagy, the winemaker, at Zlaty Strapec winery explained how this 'essence' of Tokaj was made I understood why it is one of the world rarest wines and most expensive. Yes, it was worth the price.
                  Michael Mojher

                  Tokaj is also made in a very small area of Slovakia, most of it comes from
                  Hungary. It is expensive relative to other wines. It comes in small bottles
                  of about 500 mL. I have a 1993 Tokaji Aszueszecia that I bought in Budapest
                  in 2001 for about 25,000 forint, at that time the exchange was about 300 HUF
                  / USD so that was around $80!

                  The Tokaji from Hungary also carry a classification of "punt" which relates
                  to the quality and implies the number baskets of grapes used to make it. I
                  have the seen the numbers run from 1 to 5, but there may b higher
                  classifiactions. The higher the number, the better the wine.

                  Tokaj is sweet like sauternes and is intended to be drunk in small glasses
                  like those used for sherry or port.

                  Dr. "Q"

                  --- On Sun, 10/5/08, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@yahoo.
                  <mailto:helenezx%40yahoo.com> com> wrote:

                  > From: helene cincebeaux <helenezx@yahoo. <mailto:helenezx%40yahoo.com>
                  com>
                  > Subject: Re: [S-R] Hungarian/Slovak Party
                  > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                  > Date: Sunday, October 5, 2008, 12:02 PM
                  > How about Tokaj wine - there are 17 kinds and then the rare
                  > Azu.
                  > It comes from southeastern Slovakia and northeastern
                  > Hungary.
                  >
                  > helene
                  >
                  > --- On Sun, 10/5/08, Diana Boggs
                  > <ssmudsville@ <mailto:ssmudsville%40yahoo.com> yahoo.com> wrote:
                  >
                  > From: Diana Boggs <ssmudsville@ <mailto:ssmudsville%40yahoo.com>
                  yahoo.com>
                  > Subject: [S-R] Hungarian/Slovak Party
                  > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                  > Date: Sunday, October 5, 2008, 9:36 AM
                  >

                  > What sorts of wine & cheese is appropriate fo a
                  > Hungarian/Slovak party?
                  > Diana

                • Nick Holcz
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
                    Tokay would seem to be the wine, I don't know about the cheese.There
                    has been legal argument about using the name Tokay by non Hungarian producers.

                    Nick
                  • Ron Matviyak
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nick Holcz <nickh@...> wrote:

                      > There > has been legal argument about using the name Tokay by non
                      Hungarian producers.

                      > Nick

                      I understand that dispute was resolved a year or two ago and
                      Slovakia's portion of the historic Tokay region has the right to
                      produce and market Tokay wine. The region is more or less due south
                      of Trebisov on the Hungarian border. For anyone really interested, I
                      suggest you search for 'tokay region' and 'tokay slovakia' under
                      Google Images.

                      Ron

                    • helene cincebeaux
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
                        Hi Michael - you are bringing back memories of an incredible Tokaj wine tasting in a charming stone building in the Slovak Tokaj region with one of our tour groups - we tasted 17 different Tokajs beginning with the driest on up and ended with the 18th, the rare Azu.This can only be made in years when conditions are absolotuely right and the grapes rot on the vine - it called boryitis and makes this most amazing wine.

                        Tho we only took tiny sips of all 18 and ate a large meal after, everyone fell asleep on the trip back. Something about being in a cool building and then going into the heat outside after all that wine - took its toll

                        but it was a never-to-be forgotten experience!!!!

                        The wine caves there are so charming - there are actually 16 miles or so and all underground - we were told that the villagers hid from the invading Turks there far below ground.

                        The caves are carved from Tufa - a porous stone which seems to provide perfect conditions for wine making and wine storage;  if you can't finish your wine you toss it at the wall and it is reabsorbed and likely ends up in the wine again.

                        The wine making villages here are utterly charming in a little visited (by foreign tourists) region on the Hungarian border southeast of Kosice. It's lovely on the Hungarian side too; tho somewhat more developed. With the recent publicity surrounding the Tokaj name I expect more tourists to follow.

                        helene

                        Tokaj is also made in a very small area of Slovakia, most of it comes from
                        Hungary. It is expensive relative to other wines. It comes in small bottles
                        of about 500 mL. I have a 1993 Tokaji Aszueszecia that I bought in Budapest
                        in 2001 for about 25,000 forint, at that time the exchange was about 300 HUF
                        / USD so that was around $80!

                        The Tokaji from Hungary also carry a classification of "punt" which relates
                        to the quality and implies the number baskets of grapes used to make it. I
                        have the seen the numbers run from 1 to 5, but there may b higher
                        classifiactions. The higher the number, the better the wine.

                        Tokaj is sweet like sauternes and is intended to be drunk in small glasses
                        like those used for sherry or port.

                        Dr. "Q"

                        --- On Sun, 10/5/08, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@yahoo.
                        <mailto:helenezx% 40yahoo.com> com> wrote:

                        > From: helene cincebeaux <helenezx@yahoo. <mailto:helenezx% 40yahoo.com>
                        com>
                        > Subject: Re: [S-R] Hungarian/Slovak Party
                        > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.com> yahoogroups. com
                        > Date: Sunday, October 5, 2008, 12:02 PM
                        > How about Tokaj wine - there are 17 kinds and then the rare
                        > Azu.
                        > It comes from southeastern Slovakia and northeastern
                        > Hungary.
                        >
                        > helene
                        >
                        > --- On Sun, 10/5/08, Diana Boggs
                        > <ssmudsville@ <mailto:ssmudsville %40yahoo. com> yahoo.com> wrote:
                        >
                        > From: Diana Boggs <ssmudsville@ <mailto:ssmudsville %40yahoo. com>
                        yahoo.com>
                        > Subject: [S-R] Hungarian/Slovak Party
                        > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.com> yahoogroups. com
                        > Date: Sunday, October 5, 2008, 9:36 AM
                        >

                        > What sorts of wine & cheese is appropriate fo a
                        > Hungarian/Slovak party?
                        > Diana

                      • johnqadam
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
                          >>> The Tokaji from Hungary also carry a classification of "punt"
                          which relates to the quality and implies the number baskets of grapes
                          used to make it. I have the seen the numbers run from 1 to 5, but
                          there may b higher classifiactions. The higher the number, the
                          better the wine. <<<

                          Slight enhancement to the explanantion. The higher the number, the
                          SWEETER the wine. Sugar content is not necessarily an indicator of
                          quality.

                          Tokaji wine is made from native grapes Furmint and Harslevelu as well
                          as Muscat. There are some dry whites and late harvest sweet wines and
                          also the richer style, botrytized dessert wines carrying the
                          words "Aszú" or "Puttonyos" on the label.

                          "Aszú" means botrytis, the noble rot that plays a part in
                          concentrating the sugars, flavor, and acidity of the
                          grapes. "Puttonyos" reveals how sweet and rich the wine is, and tells
                          the quantity of sweet must used in making the wine.

                          Traditionally, the botrytized grapes are mashed and then added to a
                          dry wine made from the previous vintage. How much of the botrytized
                          must is added determines the sweetness, traditionally defined by the
                          number of puttony added to a 136 liter barrel of must. 3 puttonyos is
                          the least sweet, and six the sweetest (3 puttonyos means about 75 kg
                          of must were added to 136 liters of wine, while 6 would mean adding
                          150 kg of must.)

                          The mixture then referments and is allowed to age in humid caves for
                          several years.

                          Southeastern Slovakia has a few Tokay wineries. I prefer the dry
                          variant.
                        • Caye Caswick
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008

                            I will have to take a pen and paper to my apple cellar -- when the cousins' friend from Kosice came to visit, he brought 4 bottles of Tokaj wines -- have no idea what's down there, but something tells me it needs to be locked.

                            Once I remember to write it down and post it -- I'd appreciate it if one of our Tokaj afficianados can explain what I'm storing.  Thanks!

                            (Might have to bring a little to Pittsburgh and share, I'm not much of a wine drinker myself.)

                            Caye

                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
                              >>> (Might have to bring a little to Pittsburgh and share, I'm not much
                              of a wine drinker myself.)<<<

                              I was looking for a reason to go to PIT, aside from Helene's party.
                              Your Tokay might just do it!

                              We spent a couple of hours in a Slovak Tokay cave with the winemaker
                              just one year ago.

                              BTW, we have about 175 wines in the cellar.
                            • Caye Caswick
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008

                                too bad those aren't 175 beers, I'd make a trip to see YOU.

                                Caye

                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
                                  I am very fortunate that I have a cousin who is the Dekan of the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Trebisov. He oversees churches in 125 surrounding villages. In the five years he has been in Trebisov he has gotten to know all of the winemakers in the Slovakia Tokaj wine region. My great pleasure is when he invites me to go pay a visit to one. It is a special occasion when you get to sit with the winemaker and have a private tasting.
                                  Slovak Spectator's travel issues each year seem to have some article on Tokaj wines (Hungary spells it Tokaji). Here are links to a few.
                                  From Slovak Spectator, Visit to a Tokaj Winery - http://travel.spectator.sk/articles/292/ , A Tale of Two Tokaj Wineries - http://travel.spectator.sk/articles/1067/a_tale_of_two_tokaj_wineries,
                                  How Tokaj Is Made - http://travel.spectator.sk/articles/1066/how_tokaj_is_made, Slovak Grape Varieties - http://travel.spectator.sk/articles/1061/slovak_grape_varieties, How to Read a Slovak Wine Label - http://travel.spectator.sk/articles/1063/how_to_read_a_slovak_wine_label
                                  Michael Mojher

                                  too bad those aren't 175 beers, I'd make a trip to see YOU.

                                  Caye

                                  >>> (Might have to bring a little to Pittsburgh and share, I'm not much
                                  of a wine drinker myself.)<<<

                                  I was looking for a reason to go to PIT, aside from Helene's party.
                                  Your Tokay might just do it!

                                  We spent a couple of hours in a Slovak Tokay cave with the winemaker
                                  just one year ago.

                                  BTW, we have about 175 wines in the cellar.

                                • PAULA BYRD
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
                                    Caye,

                                    I'm with you, I'd take a beer any day befroe the wine.

                                    Paula

                                    To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comFrom: ccaswick@...: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 07:30:45 -0700Subject: Re: [S-R] Tokay/Tokaji wines

                                    too bad those aren't 175 beers, I'd make a trip to see YOU. Caye --- On Mon, 10/6/08, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:From: johnqadam <johnqadam@...>Subject: Re: [S-R] Tokay/Tokaji winesTo: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comDate: Monday, October 6, 2008, 9:23 AM>>> (Might have to bring a little to Pittsburgh and share, I'm not much of a wine drinker myself.)<<<I was looking for a reason to go to PIT, aside from Helene's party. Your Tokay might just do it!We spent a couple of hours in a Slovak Tokay cave with the winemaker just one year ago.BTW, we have about 175 wines in the cellar.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                                  • Dr. Joe Q
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
                                      I believe that the putna has to do with the amount of older Tokay that is put in with the newly fermenting grapes. So the more barrels, the sweeter the wine and the more it costs because it uses already produced wine.

                                      The bottle I have, it is to be opened in a few weeks on the 95 birthday of my father!

                                      Dr. "Q

                                      > The Tokaji aszú wine actually only goes from 3 to 6
                                      > “putt” (puttonyos =
                                      > barrels), the higher the number being the sweeter. However,
                                      > when you can
                                      > find it in the U.S. it is nearly all 5. The last time I
                                      > checked, even the 5
                                      > putt was $80.00 here. The 6 putt and the Eszencia, which is
                                      > even sweeter,
                                      > are extremely difficult to find here . . . maybe in New
                                      > York.
                                      >

                                      > This wine has been famous for centuries. King Louis XIV
                                      > called it “the king
                                      > of wines and the wine of kings.” Its distinctive flavor
                                      > is caused by a
                                      > fungus that attacks the ripened grapes. It is so expensive
                                      > because of the
                                      > way it is produced—the vines are permitted to grow only a
                                      > small number of
                                      > grape clusters and the grapes are harvested one grape at a
                                      > time.
                                      >

                                      > Dr. Joe, I hope you open that bottle at a very important
                                      > and festive
                                      > occasion. Eszencia has been described as “liquid gold.”
                                      >

                                      > Janet
                                      >

                                      > _____

                                    • Michael Mojher
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
                                        Dr. Joe Q,
                                        Here are some paragraphs from the making of Tokaj wine from the Slovak Spectator article.
                                        "When the right amount of noble rot pierces a grape's skin, the rot saps the grape's moisture without rotting its juices.

                                        The shriveled grape that results (cibebas in Slovak, Aszú in Hungarian) has an immense concentration of flavor. It's the key ingredient in Tokaj. But conditions are not always right for cibebas, which is why Tokaj wine is not produced every year. Even when conditions are right, noble rot strikes only certain grape bunches - in some cases only certain grapes. That means cibebas must be handpicked, which drives up prices.

                                        When noble rot has done its job, the cibebas are crushed and added to freshly fermented wine made from undamaged (or unimproved) grapes. The mixture macerates for 24 to 48 hours, and is pressed, filtered, and placed into wood barrels stored in cellars for aging.

                                        The cellars are Tokaj's final oddity. Dug into the side of hills starting in the 17th century (supposedly to hide aging wine from marauding Turks), they are ripe grounds for another kind of fungus. A thick black mold that grows on the walls seeps into the barrels and contributes to the wild and wonderful taste of Tokaj.