Help me read Slovak birth record from these pictures in album "LDS Chabanik"

  • f12hte
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 26, 2008
      Hi

      I found my grandfather's birth record in the LDS films. The records
      are for Roman Catholics in Spissky Hrusov, and they seem to be in
      Latin with some Slovak thrown in or something. Anyway, the entries I
      am trying to decipher are all found in the column pictured in my album
      "LDS Chabanik" titled "Heading". Since my grandfather had many
      births of the siblings...they are the pictures chabanik 1 thru 4.
      Chabanik 1 seems to say Georg Czabanyik, boarius ex Hamborg, in cattu
      Sarof. Did I recognize the letters properly? What does this mean?
      I think it is saying something about Georg's origin...boarius ex Hamborg.

      Also Chabanik 4 seems to say something about their occupation, because
      I see similar writing on a lot of other entries in this film. I would
      suppose it might mean "laborer" or something. Maybe its abbreviated.
      Take a look at the last 2 words on chabanik 4 and see if you can
      figure it out.

      ANy ideas appreciated!

      Max
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 26, 2008
        I can only give you some of the words. Lots of abbreviations going on
        here.

        I believe the Latin words are
        baptisatus ex, which probably means he was baptised in Hamburg, though
        it seems strange to record it twice.
        The next recognizable word is SAROS, which was a former county.
        Next words appear to be a name, Maria Spiski/spissak/spisky, spelled
        variously by different scribes. Is this a name you recognize?

        Latin "originis" is birth place.

        Bill

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "f12hte" <f12hte@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I found my grandfather's birth record in the LDS films. The records
        > are for Roman Catholics in Spissky Hrusov, and they seem to be in
        > Latin with some Slovak thrown in or something. Anyway, the entries I
        > am trying to decipher are all found in the column pictured in my album
        > "LDS Chabanik" titled "Heading". Since my grandfather had many
        > births of the siblings...they are the pictures chabanik 1 thru 4.
        > Chabanik 1 seems to say Georg Czabanyik, boarius ex Hamborg, in cattu
        > Sarof. Did I recognize the letters properly? What does this mean?
        > I think it is saying something about Georg's origin...boarius ex
        Hamborg.

        > Also Chabanik 4 seems to say something about their occupation, because
        > I see similar writing on a lot of other entries in this film. I would
        > suppose it might mean "laborer" or something. Maybe its abbreviated.
        > Take a look at the last 2 words on chabanik 4 and see if you can
        > figure it out.
        >
        > ANy ideas appreciated!
        >
        > Max

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 26, 2008
          Dear Max,

          May I add a little to Bill's suggestions.

          These records are all in Latin-no Slovak, which one would not expect during
          that time period anyway.

          I think that Georgius Csabanyik and Maria Spisky/Spiski/Spissak were both
          from Hamborg in Saros county, a fact that you can easily confirm by looking
          at those records. Hamborg is now Brezovicka SK, not too far to the northeast
          from Spissky Hrusov.

          I suspect your "boarius" is actually "bodarius," meaning tenant farmer or
          boarder. That means he did not have land of his own on which to grow crops
          and may even have not had a house of his own but "boarded" with another.

          _____

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 26, 2008
            Max
            In what year was your grandfather born?
            Janet seems to be saying, through translation, that he was some sort of a hired laborer, (from Brezovica, maybe??).
            My Ancestors, the Gurkas, had, I am told, a large farm in Spisska Nova Ves; and, I have reason to believe, possibly also in Brezovica??
            There could be a remote possibility that your grandfather, or his siblings, may have worked for my ancestors.
            My Grandmother was born in 1873, in Spisska Nova Ves, came to Ameica sixteen years later; was still receiving letters from Brezovica in the 1930's.
            Tom

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 26, 2008
              Hi TOm,

              My Grandfather was born in 1887. I am looking at the information
              about his parents (Georg and Maria)in his birth record; thats where
              the Hamborg/Hamborek/Brezovica connection comes in. THe fact that
              your ancestors may have had farms in Brezovice and Spissky Nova Ves
              might explain how my grandfather's father Georg made his way from
              Brezovice to Spissky Hrusov, which I believe is about 12 miles away
              from Spissky Nova Ves. SInce the first of my grandfather's sibling I
              see was born in 1878, I would say his father, Georg, had to be in his
              30s. That would mean he had to be born sometime in the 1840s or 50s.
              Do you know anything more about the workings of the farms your
              ancestors had? It would be interesting to me to learn more about how
              the peasants lived.

              THanks for the info

              Max

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Geiss" <tomfgurka@...> wrote:

              > Max
              > In what year was your grandfather born?
              > Janet seems to be saying, through translation, that he was some sort
              of a hired laborer, (from Brezovica, maybe??).
              > My Ancestors, the Gurkas, had, I am told, a large farm in
              Spisska Nova Ves; and, I have reason to believe, possibly also in
              Brezovica??
              > There could be a remote possibility that your grandfather, or
              his siblings, may have worked for my ancestors.
              > My Grandmother was born in 1873, in Spisska Nova Ves, came to
              Ameica sixteen years later; was still receiving letters from
              Brezovica in the 1930's.
              > Tom

            • Tom Geiss
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 26, 2008
                Dear Max,

                All that I have right now is this; that they had a large farm in Spisska Nova Ves (In the 1900's it was called Iglo Hungary), they had a large farm, 22 house servants and tenant field laborers; were considered prosperous for the times. Also, that the farm was confiscated during WW1, and family remaining behind were all killed.
                When they lost their property in Brezovica I don't yet know, except that my grandmother was still receiving mail from there in the 1930's.
                I have a friend who lives in Spisska Nova Ves, who I have E-mailed to try and inquire about your family name of CHABANIK ( CSABANYIK). in the area. Don't know if you have any potential relatives over there???

                Also, I am awaiting a report from the Levoca Archives, regarding my ancestors, which I just heard was mailed yesterday. I should receive it in about two weeks. Hope it makes things somewhat more clear.

              • Dr. Joe Q
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 26, 2008
                  Dear Max,

                  My paternal grandfather's family came from Spissky Hrusov, I have looked at every LDS film for Spissky Hrusov. How can I help you?

                  boarius is Latin and has to do with cattle, probably a shepherd perhaps butcher - perhaps means a sheperd from Hamburg (Germany)

                  cattu is not a complete Latin word; cattus would be a cat

                  Sarof probably refers to Saris (Saros in Hungarian) the former Hungarian county next to Spis.

                  So I think the words instead are cottus Saros - meaning from the county of Saris

                  Dr. "Q"

                  > I found my grandfather's birth record in the LDS films.
                  > The records
                  > are for Roman Catholics in Spissky Hrusov, and they seem to
                  > be in
                  > Latin with some Slovak thrown in or something. Anyway, the
                  > entries I
                  > am trying to decipher are all found in the column pictured
                  > in my album
                  > "LDS Chabanik" titled "Heading". Since
                  > my grandfather had many
                  > for the
                  > births of the siblings...they are the pictures chabanik 1
                  > thru 4.
                  > Chabanik 1 seems to say Georg Czabanyik, boarius ex
                  > Hamborg, in cattu
                  > Sarof. Did I recognize the letters properly? What does
                  > this mean?
                  > I think it is saying something about Georg's
                  > origin...boarius ex Hamborg.
                  >
                  > Also Chabanik 4 seems to say something about their
                  > occupation, because
                  > I see similar writing on a lot of other entries in this
                  > film. I would
                  > suppose it might mean "laborer" or something.
                  > Maybe its abbreviated.
                  > Take a look at the last 2 words on chabanik 4 and see if
                  > you can
                  > figure it out.
                  >
                  > ANy ideas appreciated!
                  >
                  > Max
                • f12hte
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 26, 2008
                    THanks Dr Q,

                    Butcher is possible here. I know my grandfather's brother-in-law
                    (grandma's brother)was a butcher. I also know that my grandmother's
                    father was a merchant. It is conceivable that my great-grandparents
                    met due to trade connections. Others here have suggested that Hamborg
                    might have referred to Hamborek, which is now Brezovička, County:
                    Sabinov, I saw where an old name for County Sabinov was Saris ...maybe
                    thats what Sarof means in the birth record. I'll have to check out
                    the Brezovička LDS records to make sure.

                    Very coincidental that both our paternal grandfathers families are
                    from Spissky Hrusov. The town isn't that big even today...I looked at
                    it on Google Earth. What do you know about the history of Spissky
                    Hrusov and the common peasant's way of life there? Were you able to
                    track these relatives back? I would think that the general history of
                    your grandfather's family would parallel that of mine. Do you know of
                    any good books/internet resources on this?

                    THanks Again,
                    Max Chabanik

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@...> wrote:

                    > Dear Max,
                    >
                    > My paternal grandfather's family came from Spissky Hrusov, I have
                    looked at every LDS film for Spissky Hrusov. How can I help you?

                    > boarius is Latin and has to do with cattle, probably a shepherd
                    perhaps butcher - perhaps means a sheperd from Hamburg (Germany)

                    > cattu is not a complete Latin word; cattus would be a cat
                    >
                    > Sarof probably refers to Saris (Saros in Hungarian) the former
                    Hungarian county next to Spis.

                    > So I think the words instead are cottus Saros - meaning from the
                    county of Saris

                    > Dr. "Q"

                  • Ben Sorensen
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 26, 2008
                      Hey there all, now I am not going to get into the full thing cause I ave no time right now- but I just glanced at the entry. That is SAROS- what looks like an f is a Gothic S. I will see what I get too... but later. sorry yall!
                      Ben

                      Butcher is possible here. I know my grandfather' s brother-in-law
                      (grandma's brother)was a butcher. I also know that my grandmother' s
                      father was a merchant. It is conceivable that my great-grandparents
                      met due to trade connections. Others here have suggested that Hamborg
                      might have referred to Hamborek, which is now Brezovič ka, County:
                      Sabinov, I saw where an old name for County Sabinov was Saris ...maybe
                      thats what Sarof means in the birth record. I'll have to check out
                      the Brezovič ka LDS records to make sure.

                      Very coincidental that both our paternal grandfathers families are
                      from Spissky Hrusov. The town isn't that big even today...I looked at
                      it on Google Earth. What do you know about the history of Spissky
                      Hrusov and the common peasant's way of life there? Were you able to
                      track these relatives back? I would think that the general history of
                      your grandfather' s family would parallel that of mine. Do you know of
                      any good books/internet resources on this?

                      THanks Again,
                      Max Chabanik

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com, "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@. ..> wrote:

                      > Dear Max,
                      >
                      > My paternal grandfather' s family came from Spissky Hrusov, I have
                      looked at every LDS film for Spissky Hrusov. How can I help you?

                      > boarius is Latin and has to do with cattle, probably a shepherd
                      perhaps butcher - perhaps means a sheperd from Hamburg (Germany)

                      > cattu is not a complete Latin word; cattus would be a cat
                      >
                      > Sarof probably refers to Saris (Saros in Hungarian) the former
                      Hungarian county next to Spis.

                      > So I think the words instead are cottus Saros - meaning from the
                      county of Saris

                      > Dr. "Q"

                    • genmom4
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 27, 2008
                        Just really quick here,

                        Photo #3. Last two letters: RC: Roman Catholic
                        Photo #4: Bottom line, last two letters: RC: Roman Catholic
                        Photo #5: RCath: Roman Catholic

                        I'll have to look at the entries in more depth when I have more time.
                        Is there anyway for you to scan an entire page, to see the patterns
                        among the other entries?

                        Barbara

                        > Hi
                        >
                        > I found my grandfather's birth record in the LDS films. The records
                        > are for Roman Catholics in Spissky Hrusov, and they seem to be in
                        > Latin with some Slovak thrown in or something. Anyway, the entries
                        > am trying to decipher are all found in the column pictured in my
                        album
                        > "LDS Chabanik" titled "Heading". Since my grandfather had many
                        > births of the siblings...they are the pictures chabanik 1 thru 4.
                        > Chabanik 1 seems to say Georg Czabanyik, boarius ex Hamborg, in
                        cattu
                        > Sarof. Did I recognize the letters properly? What does this mean?
                        > I think it is saying something about Georg's origin...boarius ex
                        Hamborg.

                        > Also Chabanik 4 seems to say something about their occupation,
                        because
                        > I see similar writing on a lot of other entries in this film. I
                        would
                        > suppose it might mean "laborer" or something. Maybe its
                        abbreviated.
                        > Take a look at the last 2 words on chabanik 4 and see if you can
                        > figure it out.
                        >
                        > ANy ideas appreciated!
                        >
                        > Max

                      • Dr. Joe Q
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 27, 2008
                          Dear Max,

                          The records are at times difficult to read due to both the handwriting of the scribe and the peculiar abbreviations that each scribe would use. The word cottus is short for the Latin comitatus = county. Additionally, although the records are frequently in Latin, Hungarian names and spellings are used hence

                          Sabinov is a town a little north west of Presov, it is old Saris (Saros) county.

                          I can find relatives back to about 1710 in Spissky Hrusov. It is very possible that we have common relatives. At best we are cousins of some order.

                        • helene cincebeaux
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 30, 2008
                            HI Max -

                               Do you have any relatives in Rochester NY - I know Mike Chabanik - would you like contact info for him ?

                            helene