Surname REPHO OR REPKO

  • Rick Mayernik
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 23, 2008
      Hello:

      My Great Grandmothers maiden name was Repho. Is Repko the American
      spelling? Which spelling is appropriate for family tree useage?

      Her name = Mary Repho
      Spouse = John Komar

      Thank you,

      Rick
    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 23, 2008
        Rick, what is your evidence that her name was Repho? Was it a handwritten
        document? Or do you have proof that her name was actually pronounced Rep-ho?
        The letters h and k can be easily confused in handwritten records. Most
        frequent is a k that looks very much like an h.

        If you look at the Slovak phone directory, you will find 117 entries for the
        name Repko. There are no entries for Repho. Similarly, there are 177 Ellis
        Island entries for Repko but only two recorded as Repho. In both of these
        instances, they appear to be mistranscriptions of Repko.

        Janet

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 23, 2008
          And if it is an "h" from a German-schooled person, they were using gothic or suetterlin- and therefore the "h" can look like an "F"!!!!!
          I bet on Repko- Repho does not fit Slovak at all. the "ph" is just not found in the language- and if it is, it is either a cudzie slovo (foreign word) or an all out rarity.
          Repko, however, has shown up at least 215 times in the 1995 Census. I would have to say that Janet is probably on the right track. I would bet body parts on it. But I won't, because with this economy, I may have to sell one or two.... liver, anyone??? Wait, heavily used... ok... kidney???? :-)
          Ben