Re: [S-R] Looking for a map or a picture of Turzovak

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 23 6:35 PM
      Hi Carey,

      I agree with Michael, it sounds like you're looking for Turzovka,
      especially since the next town to the east is Podvysoka. Both towns
      are on the Kysuca river, between Makov at the Moravian border and
      Cadca where the Kysuca river makes a big turn to the south. My family
      comes from this area, too. Although I don't have a copy, I do know
      that there is a town history book, in Slovak, of course. I've driven
      through Turzovka on my way to Cadca, haven't stopped there except to
      buy gas, so I can't tell you much about it. Bigger than a village,
      though, as I recall. I can copy the Slovak entry in the Slovak
      encyclopedia of towns and villages for you, if you like; but you'll
      have to find someone else to translate it for you. Lemme know if you
      want it.

      I have maps of the area, in scales 1:100,000 and 1:50,000. I'll scan
      the Turzovka/Podvysoka section of each and email them to you off-list.

      The Turzovka parish records (at least, Catholic; dunno about
      Evangelical) are available on microfilm from the LDS.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...